Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Alternatives to isopropyl alcohol for cleaning forks?
  • leffeboy

For some reason I don’t seem to be able to find isopropyl alcohol in Belgium and that seems to be the standard alcohol the people use when cleaning out fork legs and for general degreasing.  Can anyone suggest other alcohols that would be suitable e.g. can you use meths?   I can get acetone easily but I’m not sure what that would do to o-rings/seals and although I also picked up methanol I’m really not comfortable using it as it looks a little too poisonous for comfort – especially when sprayed

All suggestions welcome.  I could just order isopropyl via Amazon but I like to pick up stuff in shops a lot of the time if possible

scaredypants

diesel ?

leffeboy

I think diesel might leave an oily film on things when used for cleaning.  Whether or not that is a problem in a fork is a different matter of course

geex
    Free Member

have never used isopropyl alcohol to clean forks, just hot soapy water, then rinsed and dried.

I seem to still be alive (as are all my forks)

leffeboy

That’s probably actually a very good idea if the legs are quite clean.  I’m not quite sure if they are very gunky if that would work but it’s a great idea for a regular service, thanks

scaredypants

if you aren’t degreasing very often or for very long and you’re willing to open a window or go outside when you do I’d be surprised if a spot of methanol vapour did you any real harm (though I wouldn’t use it if I had an easy option)

However, are you sure it’s “only” methanol anyway (i.e. not IMS of some %ge or other) ?  methylated spirits from the corner shop has some other shite in, like Bitrex and purple dye but it’s also mostly ethanol rather than methanol, as is IMS

(cheery tale:  when I was in 6th form, one of the other students threw a party and a mate of his who worked as a lab porter nicked 500ml of pure methanol from his work and put it in the punch, ‘cos everyone knows that tramps drink meths.  2 or 3 lads died)

leffeboy

However, are you sure it’s “only” methanol anyway

It’s pure methanol and what really scares me is that it can poison you through skin contact.  I’m not sure I want it in my house as a general degreaser rather than for something specific if there is a safe alternative.

I might try meths as it is largely ethanol which is just fine for cleaning purposes

duncancallum

Electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner

leffeboy

Electrical contact cleaner leaves a thin film I think (at least the stuff I have does).  Brake cleaner however is lovely stuff if pricey.

Can you get isopropyl in b&q or Halfords? I might try and stock up next time I’m in the UK

Now I’m wondering if I can use the methanol in my trangia….

bigyan
    Free Member

If its for cleaning bare metal (eg fully stripped components) then residue free disc brake cleaner.

Most solvents are not good for seals.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used washing up liquid, warm water and a brush before now. Works fine, though obviously you need to dry carefully and preferably rinse as washing up liquid apparently contains salt.

That said, it looks like you could buy isopropyl alcohol from numerous UK eBays sellers and have it shipped to Belgium. it’s handy stuff to have around anyway, so might be worth thinking about.

leffeboy

That said, it looks like you could buy isopropyl alcohol from numerous UK eBays sellers and have it shipped to Belgium. 

It’s starting to look like that’s the best option.  It’s useful having something in a spray bottle just to clean things up as well when working on the bike

DezB
    Free Member

Got mine off Amazon, surely they ship to Belgium. I’ve used brake cleaner in the past as it seems to have similar properties.

leffeboy

Got mine off Amazon, surely they ship to Belgium

Yep. I was just trying to find something I found buy locally if I could but that is looking unlikely

edd
    Shackleton

Try asking for isopropanol or propan-2-ol. They are the same thing but different countries use different naming conventions. It is commonly used in make up removal if that helps you find it.

hot_fiat

I use bulk brake cleaner (not in an aerosol) from a local car parts shop. 5l of QH stuff was about £10.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are worrying too much. US website say to use it because most people have it to hand. There’s no need to have your forks surgically clean and 100% oil free, unlike.your brakes.

Just use Muc Off (or similar) and water, works very well you just have to leave it dry somewhere warm.

onehundredthidiot

Yep propan-2-ol.

IPA or isopropanol are not uipac names so mighty not be recognised.

scaled
    Free Member

It’s useful stuff to have around anyway, bloomin marvelous for cleaning UPVC windows*!

*If you’re cleaning the whole conservatory it might be an idea to  open one or two of those windows

leffeboy

I use bulk brake cleaner

good idea, i’ll take a look

Try asking for isopropanol or propan-2-ol

Yep.  But I might try looking further afield than DIY stores now, tx

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

I could just order isopropyl via Amazon but I like to pick up stuff in shops a lot of the time if possible

Yes. But I order the stuff via amazon as well.

Extremely cheap stuff. Works well.

But be carefully with “open fire”. This stuff is an pretty extreme fire hazard….

tjagain

I have always just used a cloth soaked in light fork oil to wipe everything down.  As molgrips says it does not have to be residue free – just get any muck out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bake cleaner is generally just IPA.  I’ve seen techs use it to clean cameras, I’m not that confident and use actual IPA with a cloth but not seen any problems with it.

IPA is safe on most types of rubber and evaporates so quickly in use I doubt in absorbs in anyway.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I could just order isopropyl via Amazon but I like to pick up stuff in shops a lot of the time if possible

Now Maplins has gone in the UK, got the same situation. Online only really now, though to be fair it’s also way cheaper than Maplins were charging. Just it was convenient to pop to the shop.

Cleaning forks when not servicing, I’ll just use water and wipe. If dusty, dust wipe. Fork oil to the wiper seals, pump a few times and wipe off.

Servicing though, when pulling apart, it’s IPA only cleaning the insides.

Also, I use IPA to mop up hydraulic fluid when bleeding stuff. Especially DOT 5.1.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alcohol wipes, widely available.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Aerosol spray brake cleaner I have used smells very much like it is acetone.

andyl
    Free Member

Unflavoured, highest strength vodka you can lay your hands on?

Used to use Export strength Smirnoff to clean my frames before putting helitape on.

Methanol = single carbon atom alcohol

Ethanol (what you drink) = 2 carbon atom alcohol

IPA (Propan-2-ol etc) = 3 carbon atom alcohol

All can be used as cleaning solvents but IPA is probably the best one for a few reasons.

leffeboy

All can be used as cleaning solvents but IPA is probably the best one for a few reasons.

I’ve found some bio-ethanol today that doesn’t seem as toxic as methanol so will do for the moment. Interestingly it is quite  smokey in the trangia compared to the methanol but I guess that is the result of having two carbon atoms?  Looks great for cleaning though

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to isopropyl alcohol for cleaning forks?’ is closed to new replies.