• This topic has 31 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by st.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Alternatives to a Slackline
  • st

After a couple of months riding my new Slackline I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s too short. I knew I was taking a chance when I ordered the frame as it’s a touch smaller than I’d normally go for but hey ho.

So going back to last November’s search is there anything else I should be looking at?

Needs to be 26″ with a tapered or 44mm headtube in a largeish size.

A BFe is a possibility but I’ve had one of those and wasn’t planning on another, secondhand PP Shan seems like a possibility if I can find one.

What else?

As an aside if you’re looking at getting a large Slackline drop Stanton a line to confirm the TT length because I’ve not been able to measure mine at the length quoted on the website.

edward2000
    Free Member

Buy a switchback and use your 26 inch wheels? You won’t notice the difference in wheel size, my mates is set up like this.

st

Not after this latest experience.

edward2000
    Free Member

I own a slackline and noticed it felt short. I tried my mates switchback and I realised I brought the wrong bike as soon as I sat on it, it fitted like a glove and it just felt right.

I wouldn’t dismiss it straight away.

deviant
    Free Member

I seem to remember my Dialled Alpine being long in the TT, could give one of those a go?…i think the latest mk3 has a 44mm headtube.

Ragley?

nickc

Shame it is too small.

There’s a large Shan for sale on Pinkbike I think

sv

NS Surge, supposedly longish TT. Great frame.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I just bought a BFe. Looked at a Stanton but the guys there suggested i go a size up (normally a medium). After re-checking all the numbers I went fir the Cotic. No regrets there, but i also looked at Pipedream as they do long travel steel hardtails in 26″.

st

Cheers all.

Regarding the Switchback I guess it would be a case of contacting Dan and asking for the low down on TT length.

Alpine isn’t a bad shout. I had one of the early ones and it was loony, new one has a top tube which is just reaching a good length but could still be a bit short.

BFe ticks the boxes but having had a large before I wanted something with a greater stand over.

I’ ve messaged the guy with the Shan, think someone else here was after deails on it yesteday too.

NS and Pipedream will be looked at this morning.

It doesn’t help that my last two bikes were a Spesh Pitch and a Trek Stache 29, both had 620 effective top tubes and felt great in reach. So far the Bfe is the only one which seems to come close at 610mm.

I’m not going to get bogged down in a few mm here and there but it’s become apparent how restrictive the Slackline has been over he last few rides. Shames as it’s a great frame otherwise.

kahunajb
    Free Member

How big are you out of interest? I’m 6’3″ and my Slackline with 60mm stem seems ok so far but only a couple of rides in.

Is a longer stem or lay back post on option at all?

Stevet1
    Free Member

As an aside if you’re looking at getting a large Slackline drop Stanton a line to confirm the TT length because I’ve not been able to measure mine at the length quoted on the website.

Do go on… I reckon my Ti one is spot on 24″, but the slackish seat angle makes it feel shorter when out of the saddle i.e. its got a relatively short “reach” measurement.

st

I’m 6’1″ with the bias towards a longer upper body than legs.

I use a reverb hence layback post isn’t an option and I don’t like the feel of them relative to the bottom bracket. I tried a 75mm stem but that felt wrong so I’m back in a 60mm stem and that makes the handling nice but it just feels a bit cramped.

Measurement wise the website quotes a virtual TT length of 24″ but I measure it at more like 23 1/4″ taking a line horizontal to the ground.

I’m not out to bash the brand in anyway as in every other respect the frame is great but having had two frame prior to this which were closer to 24 1/2″ it looks like I’ve just chosen the wrong thing for me.

I can’t afford to chuck money away but given the relatively modest cost of these sorts of frames I’m not inclined to try to make it fit as a compromise.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Interesting. Did you get a response from Stanton?

st

No, haven’t contact them as yet. In fairness the Switchback is a fair chunk extra so I’ll see what else is around at Slackline money before doing that.

batman11
    Free Member

You checked out production privee Shan? A lrg comes in about 24 and the xl comes in around 25 so plenty of room on them it does require a minimum 150mm fork though, but there a few second hand ones popping up in pink bike now as they’ve just released the new version with 27.5 wheel option.

st

batman11, yes found one in Large, the XL might be a bit too tall albeit the top tub is nice and roomy looking. I’ve got 150mm Pikes so that’s not a problem.

batman11
    Free Member

Top tube stand over is the same on all the frame sizes it’s really only the sea tube that gets longer! got the xl and still have about 30/35 mm of seat tube before you get to the seal/coller bit on a reverb. I also run a 40mm stem.
    I’m 6.3 with a 33in inside leg.
    Great frame one of the best hard tail frames I’ve had.

st

That’s handy thanks.

You’ve just sold one haven’t you, was that just to go for the 27.5 version?

batman11
    Free Member

Yes mate. The ltd ed green and black one.
    Can’t say for sure if I see any real improvement with the wheel size debate. A bit more grip my be a bit more speed on straighter stuff, and I’m only really noticing all of that, due to having to change my braking points on tracks I’ve ridden for a long time. Still it’s a cool looking bike and that’s what really matters 😆

batman11
    Free Member

Worth pointing out my buddy’s just got the lrg Shan running a 35mm stem and he’s 5.9 but long leg to body 28 or 29 inch inside leg. He had a medium Shan before and found it to cramped in the top tube.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Stu,
    If you ever want to have a go on a large Shan, just let me know.

nickc

ST, the effective TT on my Lg Shan (measure horizontal from middle of seat post to middle of headtube) is 23′ (590mm)

If that’s any help

st

nickc, thanks for that, that’s erring on the short side for me.

Karl, that’d be grand, you about on’t Chase any time soon?

batman11
    Free Member

Measuring the same as nickc the xl comes out at 24.5 inches.

neilforrow

Hows about: http://nsbikes.com/eccentric-cromo,1168,pl.htm

Effective TT

mm
    583 / 605 / 633

Actual TT
    mm
    580,0 / 593,0 / 611,0

st

Neilforrow, yes after looking at the Surge earlier I thought the Eccentric looked like a better option, looks like it’s coming into stock at CRC next month.

neilforrow

ST – in true STW fashion I am bias.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-ns-bikes-eccentric

Having had a few other HT over the years, I really get on with this one. Personal pref, but it seems right for what you have described above.

nickc

nice bike neilforrow 8)

matther01
    Free Member

Taking bar length into account may help too. My 16.5 felt a bit compact for me with 740mm bars…stuck 780mm on it and its perfect

duir
    Free Member

Measurement wise the website quotes a virtual TT length of 24″ but I measure it at more like 23 1/4″ taking a line horizontal to the ground.

Where are you measuring the line from/to? Most manufacturers measure from the center of the head tube horizontally to the center of the imaginary line that intersects the horizontal from the center seat tube.

With that in mind and assuming you have measured it the same way that Stanton do, is there any chance you have been given an incorrectly labelled medium? Your measurements are closer to the medium than large.

I like a long top tube on my frames and usually ride a large. I am 6′ and find the Slackline feels spot on and quite roomy. My pal who usually rides the same size bike as me had a blast on my Slackline and immediately found it a bit short. So I guess it’s down to individual shape and riding style as to the fit of a bike.

Wider bars rolled further forward than you usually do may be the cheapest solution.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

OP, it states on the website it’s a frame with a strong 4x/slalom influence; what were you expecting?

st

Duir, Seat tube measures 18″ from centre of BB to top of the tube so that corresponds with an 18″. Actual top tube comes up at around 22 3/4″ so a little shorter than the website stated actual. I’ve gone up to 740mm bars from 720mm. I’ve got wider on my DH bike and can’t cope with that width for regular riding.

Davidtaylforth, I built it up as an all round big hitting hard tail, expecting something that will go as fast as I dare downhill with bigger forks but at the same time going back up whatever my legs will cope with. having owned far too many frames in the past I have a good idea of what to espect froma frame and have had long, short and in the middle frames. I guess this time round I should have been looking at longer rather than in the middle type frames.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Alternatives to a Slackline’ is closed to new replies.