Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Alternative to Audi or BMW?
  • Wookster

Skoda superb is bad on CO2 so that’s out.

Solo
    Free Member

Irrelevant

Excuse me !. My point is the then Mondeo out handled the BMW. Thus, in my book at least, more fun to drive. Ford invest in delivering cars that drive well. To out drive the ultimate driving machine is then a point of note, in my book.

Of course, dull can be a phrase used to describe different features / attributes of a car. For me, possibly the OP also. A good drive is relevant.

P.S. lets enjoy a little less combative remarks, shall we ?.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which model is bad?

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks guys, just to put the BMW / Mondeo argument to bed, I’ve currently got a Mondeo Hatchback and even though it is a lovely car to drive I want something different as I don’t think my sanity would cope with another 80k miles staring at a near identical interior!!

daveh
    Free Member

Just stepped out of a 320d hire car having driven a couple of hundred miles, I’ve a mk4.5 mondeo tdci on the drive. Obviously very different with many pros and cons, one thing I can definitely say however is I’d have the mondeo any day if I was pounding the motorways. The tyre noise on the BM is very wearing (perhaps because it was on 18s, though the tyres themselves are only 10mm wider than the mondeos).

fizzicist
    Free Member

Whilst the Mondeo may have out handled a BMW, they just don’t feel as nice to drive IMHO.

I’m lucky to get a reasonable selection of motors at work. Recent verdicts:

BMW 520d SE (F10)
    + Very good all round, great on tax, great on fuel (50mpg on a run, 45mpg day to day), nice to sit in if you spend a lot of time driving, feels well made and feels expensive. Which is nice. Really good car, great spec and I’m really happy with it.
    – engine could be a bit more refined. It’s a big car and you know its big all the time. I, and many colleagues have had problems with wheels going out of balance. Tyre wear is good (fronts did 25k, rears did 28k) but when they start wearing, they go really quickly – the fronts went from about 3mm tread to illegal in 1500 miles. Boot is a bit narrow, really I need folding seats or an estate.

VOLVO V70 D3 SE
    + Went like the clappers, made a great noise when you gave it a bootful. Super comfy, very very refined, great stereo, if a bit old fashioned. Loads of space, epic boot. Good in snow. Excellent car when you’re tired and have a long journey. Every weekend I miss this car. I really liked it as a family car.
    – It drank like the bastard offspring of George Best and Ollie Reed. Front Tyres every 12000 miles. Tax was bad. eventually had to ditch it for the BMW as it was cripplingly expensive to run. If my mileage was lower (35k a year private) then I’d still have it.

AUDI A4 2.0TDI S Line
    + Looked the part, nice spec, drove nicely. Just did everything really really well. Seats were very very good. Boot was a great size, beautiful car to sit in as you’d expect from Audi
    – Bit gutless, wind noise on the motorway from the mirrors. It got nicked from my driveway!

BMW 118d SE

+ Fun to drive, smooth engine, did epic mileage without missing a beat (160k in 3 years on the original clutch!)
    – crap ride, average on fuel economy,

BMW 320d SE (E46)

+ Best car I’ve ever had. Went like stink, handled fantastically, used no fuel, good on tax. Just brilliant in every respect.
    – Stuck a clutch in it at 110k, had a few electrical gremlins (cruise control would just not work on some journeys, thermometer always read way over the top)

If I was given the choice again today, I’d struggle to see past a 320d Estate or a 520d Estate, with an E Class Estate in contention as well.

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

I’m a 30K/year company car driver, similar situation re budget and CO/tax concerns

I currently have a Mercedes C220 cdi estate (delivered in March 2012, now on 12K miles) and very pleased so far.

Bluetooth is standard, DAB is a reasonably priced option (and works very well)

Emissions are 128gm/km (same as the 2009 BMW 120d it replaced)… Currently averaging 48mpg and will do mid fifties on a run if treated right.

Drives better than an Audi and almost as well as a BMW 3 series. Boot space is much more practical and usable than the 3 series estate (flat load space)

Basic spec is much higher than Audi or BMW (or maybe even that VW) and the ride is very comfortable indeed… Get one!

Don’t forget, HMRC are moving the tax bands by 1% each year for the next few years so what you get today will cost more in years 2 and 3 (assuming your on a 36mth contract)

JMTPW HTH

timc
    Free Member

Solo – Member
    My point is the then Mondeo out handled the BMW. Thus, in my book at least, more fun to drive. Ford invest in delivering cars that drive well. To out drive the ultimate driving machine is then a point of note, in my book.

Without seeing the article (link?) its hard to comment, Maybe the ford was more powerful version for instance? was it a luxury or sport 3 series? etc etc. Drawing the conclusion it out handles could be premiture, was it an E90 or the new F30, obviously a difference as OP will be after a F30, you leave a grey area in your argument.

timc
    Free Member

daveh – Member
    The tyre noise on the BM is very wearing (perhaps because it was on 18s, though the tyres themselves are only 10mm wider than the mondeos)

Run Flats?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

Yes! Run flats are noisy, once you get rid of them (like I did last week) you’ll notice a lot less cabin noise.

I’ve had loads of Mondeo’s and loads of German cars, and recently got a 320D M Sport. If you want to carry large loads get a Mondeo, if you want a car that gives more feedback and looks a bit more ‘i’ve achieved something with my life’ then a BMW does it better than any Ford or Vauxhall badge. Here’s my synopis of the company car food chain (20 years company car driver)

Kia – I’m worthless to my company
    Hyundai – If I do well they’ll get me a Vauxhall
    Vauxhall – My company turns over lots of staff and are american owned at get a GM 60% discount
    Ford – The fleet manager hates Vauxhall but wants something run of the mill but reliable and workhorse like.
    Skoda – For people who can’t afford a VW but want VW’s mythological reliability
    VW – I’m better than a Ford driver but not quite good enough for an Audi
    Audi – I’m way better than a VW person and BMW are for knobs and I like to look like a dick with LED’s on
    BMW – I just want to put serious miles on my car and look like I’ve got a successful career
    Merc – I used to have a BMW and now I’m the dick of the fleet and have the attitude to match
    Volvo – I stupid because I paid way over the odds for a Ford in Drag
    😆

andyl
    Free Member

Wookster – Member
    Skoda superb is bad on CO2 so that’s out.

151 g/km for the 170ps so under his 160g/km max.

bol

I’ve just gone for a Mercedes B200 cdi. A bit diferent, a huge boot, nice interia and low C02 – at least with the optional smaller wheels I’ve gone for. TBH I’m sure the 3 series is better to drive and more economical, but I just couldn’t brig myself to drive a BMW.

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

In tax year 2013/14 tax on £32k car with 151 gm/km (170bhp) costs around £8k/yr
    On a car with 120gm/km (and 170bhp) it’s around £6k/yr

Worth thinking about when comparing a Mondeo loaded with extras and a 320d/A4/Merc with lower spec….

Not all £32k cars are equal and often those that seem better value/spec for the money are actually more expensive to own.

Set your budget based on the real cost to you and then choose the car that you like best that fits in the budget…. Test drive, test drive, test drive… Corporate sales reps at dealers are generally easier to deal with and more accommodating than the reps that deal with Joe Public, most will/should even provide overnight/weekend demos/testdrives.

br
    Free Member

Just ‘cos you can spend up to £32k, doesn’t mean you have to.

Last company car I had was a 2.2i Vectra, saved a fortune (tax plus allowance due to taking a cheaper car) over the 530d I could’ve had – more than paid for my XTR habit.

And based on the various HMRC changes (plus diesels were made mandatory), I never got another as it was far cheaper to take the allowances/mileage and run my own car – 535i 🙂

fizzicist
    Free Member

bol – interested to know how you go on with the B class; I’m moving nearer work so shouldn’t need a motorway munching car soon. The new one looks alright but could do with more poke?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Subaru legacy diesel ?? Ford galaxy or Smax ( thinking bike friendly here) …

bol

bol – interested to know how you go on with the B class; I’m moving nearer work so shouldn’t need a motorway munching car soon. The new one looks alright but could do with more poke?

I don’t get it for another couple of months. Huge wait unfortunately. It certainly didn’t feel lacking in poke. Particularly with the excellent 7 speed auto, but then I’m moving from a Prius which has never felt particularly athletic.

unovolo
    Free Member

Kia Sportage Diesel,because they look great and the others are just so predictable and mundane.

A 3 series BMW may be a lovely car to drive but IMO they have just become the typical Rep car for those that lack any kind of imagination.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Skoda Superb would be a nice choice if the budget fits.

and you don’t mind the gash looks…

if you want a car that gives more feedback and looks a bit more ‘i’ve achieved something with my life’ then a BMW does it better than any Ford or Vauxhall badge

do you also own a Bose hifi system?

and think it is great?

mattupnorth
    Free Member

>…the VAG group is vastly overrated based on their reputation gained in the 80s

I just got a MK6 Golf GT, seems very solid, up there with the 80’s designed Corrado it lives with!

Russell96

Have you the option to opt out of the scheme and get an allowance instead? Makes for a huge amount of flexibility in your car choice then.

No need to worry about all the extra benefit in kind/emissions taxation as its just done at your normal rate so you can choose something you want rather than being corralled to a certain range/oil burner.

My view is that if I did not have a company car I would have to spend £X per month on a car anyway so adding £Y car allowance makes for a lot broader choice and allows me to choose a car that I can drive all day and get out of without all my bones/back creaking on me.

There is also the advantage that I can swop and change when I want not when the fleet dept decides I can have something new after 3/4 years.

dekadanse
    Free Member

Skoda Octavia VRS diesel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you need to try and use the car to impose status?
    Will you drive around pretending to be a racing driver?
    Do 2 10ths between the lights make a difference?

If not go for the better specced car. VW, Skoda, Ford etc. and get more for someone else money.

Cletus

Volvo V70 looks pretty good for space/pace.

Years ago I had an 850 as a company car for six months and it was great to drive (motorway miles mainly), comfortable and cavernous for carrying duties.

For your budget you could get a D4 (163hp) Start/Stop SE which emits 119 C02.

You call also get an entry level (front wheel drive) XC70

br
    Free Member

Have you the option to opt out of the scheme and get an allowance instead? Makes for a huge amount of flexibility in your car choice then

This, you may not be able to buy/run a brand new car, but you can drive what you pretty much want – last place I was at had no rules about age/doors/size etc, mainly as the senior guys were petrolheads, so wanted 911’s, classic’s, m/c etc

chojin
    Free Member

Still no one else mentions the Evoque??!

Baffling…

iainc

similar company car criteria here and coming to the end of a 3 yr lease on a 318d SE Tourer. It’s a great car, nice to drive, economic, low tax. I was very tempted to go for another one, however the boot is too small for us with 2 boys aged 6 and 10, so have opted for a 5 Tourer – a bit more in tax but a lot more space. I also looked at Mondeo and Passat estates and Volvo V60, but they weren’t as nice to be in

pictonroad

I had exactly the same criteria as you, just finishing 4 years with a 320d se touring(dab radio, premium sound and sport seats.). I’ll cry when it goes back in November, it really is the best all round car I’ve ever had..

Don’t get a mondeo, the new one is *just* around the corner and you’ll curse every time you see one….

daveh
    Free Member

Don’t get a mondeo, the new one is *just* around the corner and you’ll curse every time you see one….

Yeah but the new one is a munter:

ska-49
    Free Member

^^ That monedo looks a bit like an aston (??).

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

It’s much cheaper than your £32k limit but I just downsized from a Mondeo Estate Titanium X to a 1.6 Diesel Focus Estate Titanium X and couldn’t be happier.

It’s noticeably smaller in the boot (could get 3 bikes and kit in the Mondeo without moving the seats) but performance wise I’ve barely noticed the difference; did Cornwall to Leeds with 4 adults and it happily cruised at 80mph.

Initially it was much slower from a standing start but its done 7000 miles now and the engine is purring.

It has every add on I could get inc Bluetooth, parks itself, stops itself if the car in front brakes suddenly in city traffic and DAB all for £24500.

Tax wise my BIK has dropped from £6700 to £3000 😀

br
    Free Member

£24500.

A Focus!

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

That’s P11D price, company cars are taxed at list, sure you could get it cheaper if you bought it yourself but effectively it costs me £62 a month fully maintained inc tires, insurance and roadside assistance (Europe wide), seems likea deal to me

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Alternative to Audi or BMW?’ is closed to new replies.