• This topic has 54 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • All Mountain, Freeride – what bike…..
  • neilenty
    Free Member

All

I currently have a 2008 Coilair Supreme which I am thinking of selling (probably frame & fork only) and getting a lighter weight bike which would be more suited to the riding that I am doing therefore I'd get more from my money. (I also have a f/s 100mm trail bike)

My question is simply which bike…..

At the moment I go out and spend a week in the Alps where the Coilair comes into its own and is great. At 11stone i don't really hit the bike hard but I do use all of the suspension available…. Shopping around I want a bike that will cope with a weeks thrash downhill, but also the necessary uphill involved in UK trails…

Ideas so far are AS-7, Froggy, that's about as far as I got…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The AS7 and Froggy as as 'big' as a Coilair aren't they?

Rickos
    Free Member

Bigger, I'd have said. Might be better looking at the 160mm travel area as they're plenty light enough these days – Spicy, Remedy, etc.

soulrider
    Free Member

I have said it before
    and no doubt will say it again.

Orange 5 with Lyrik U-turns up front

juan
    Free Member

commencal meta 5.5 a very versatile bike

Olly
    Free Member

ive got a huge lusting for an Orange Alpine 160 at the moment.

Or a Santa cruz Bullit

I_Ache
    Free Member

Juan he said freeride not trail riding.

Why not get a stumpy?

st

Save some cash and get a Pitch? Mine coped with the Alps superbly last year with Fox air shock and Coil Lyriks.

It's now feeling quite nice with silly long (180mm) 66s, DHX coil shock and single ring set up for my mincing downhill antics.

traildog
    Free Member

Juan he said freeride not trail riding.

He said freeride but reading what he said he probably meant trail riding.

I think Rickos suggestions are the best.

Chase
    Free Member

RM Slayer SXC?

Rickos
    Free Member

It's now feeling quite nice with silly long (180mm) 66s, DHX coil shock and single ring set up for my mincing downhill antics.

*feels pleased to have helped in a way*

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Giant Reign or even Reign X.

Reign is reasonably light, with an efficient sus system and can be built enduro/AM or miniDH/FR.

I love mine 😀

juan
    Free Member

From experience I would say that if you don't jump 3m jump out of wood of planck what you call free ride is trail riding.

MarkDatz
    Free Member

My buddy ha a transe it's wikid awesum climing is ok but it totaly roks dh lik riding a majik flyng carpet

MarkDatz
    Free Member

Sory rein not transe

I_Ache
    Free Member

If I had the money and was in the market to replace my Pitch I would be looking at a reign/x, new enduro, remedy, 5 or a helius of some kind. Whichever I brought I would consider getting adjustable travel forks be it either lyrik u turn or 2 step or a talas 36.

juan
    Free Member

Wow anyone want to complain off my english skillz again?

dazpaul
    Free Member

+1 Giant Reign. Love mine !

firestarter
    Free Member

makes you look like an english professor juan 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

I'd say Alpine 160

chakaping
    Free Member

Alpine 160? Remedy (2009)? Spicy? Nomad?

Mark's right too, Reign is wikid awsum.

grumm
    Free Member

Pitch with 36 Vans 🙂

st

Rickos, yep, thanks for that. Didn't get chance to get a proper ride on the forks until last weekend. The bikes looks a bit on the gnarrr side but feels nice pointing down.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I have a Nomad available to buy, and the price is negotiable. It would be perfect!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Been there. In no part order:

Orange A160, SC Nomad & Blur LT, SBC Enduro & Pitch, Giant Reign X, Lapierr Spicy, Mythik Rune, Cube Fritzz, Trek Remedy, Mondraker ???

That's before you get down to more expensive boutique brands such as Nicolai, Intense, Turner and Ellsworth. Mind you, Nomads aren't cheap these days either.

Pitch, Cube and Rune would be my value picks from that lot.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have the Mythic (Banshee) Rune and can recommend it: I've used it for xc as well as the Whistler bike park and an uplift day at Cwm Carn and coped very well with all of it.

MussEd
    Free Member

One of these –

Meta6 – in fact I'll sell you it!

Si
    Free Member

Meta6 – in fact I'll sell you it!

That good eh…

AndyRT
    Free Member

Hmmm, sticky wicket!

I am suffering from too many bikes, and not enough cash! Hence sale. Plus I have another SC for more XC duties, which as I get older, seems to suit me better.

MussEd
    Free Member

Yep Si – I've decided to use my new DH bike on uplift days and on the Alpine holidays, so needing a bik with less than 6inch travel for general use. So I'm trying to sell this one. Problem? Never commented on the guy selling the Nomad above? Oh aye that's probably because SC are one of the untouchables on here that the Hive will not criticise.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I have an Uzzi VP with Totems..but more recently Lyrik DH coils….running it in 7 inch mode and it climbs really well and descents like my 951

trailmoggy
    Free Member

cove hustler? climbs well, stiff and can take a real beating

woodywoodbine
    Free Member

Another vote for Reign X. Have an X1 which has been steadily upgraded for the last 2 and a half years. Been battered on the North Shore in Vancouver, Whistler, Verbier, the Highlands, Fort William and more and its still going strong. Perfect do it all bike. Goes up pretty well for such a capable downhiller.

mikey74
    Free Member

I'd stay away from those Commencals: They are very flexy, and break too.

6" travel, 28lbs. Climbs like a HT, descends like a beast

mikey74
    Free Member

Ahhhhhh dual crown forks: run awayyyyyyy

Why mikey?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Nicolai helius AM.

There is nothing else

mikey74
    Free Member

Because they are completely unecessary: Even free-ride bikes are moving away from dual-crown forks.

I'll admit that I am adverse to them partly because they look stupid on what are effectively big xc bikes, but also I have chatted to a number of bike mechanics about them and the concensus is that because they are dual-crowns people treat them as free-ride or dh forks, rather than the light-weight xc forks they are, and end up breaking them (and themselves).

With the amazing stiffness of modern single-crowns, IMO dual crown forks are completely unecessary.

There are also other issues with the sheer size of them, the turning circle, potentially damaging the frame in an accident, but these probably exist in my head 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

structurally, those E150's make lots of sense. They're great. stiffer for the same weight, or lighter for the same stiffness, Vs single crowns.Simple laws of physics innit.

i demo'd an enduro with E150's and was blown away by how stiff and precise they were.

but we think they look weird, we look at them and think 'Dh forks'.

so they haven't really caught on, which is a shame. cos they work very well.

And they don't affect your turning circle, if you need to turn the bars enough for it to be a problem then you're doing it wrong. i got on fine with boxxers in verbier (full of uber tight switchbacks). and i'm rubbish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘All Mountain, Freeride – what bike…..’ is closed to new replies.