Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Advice – Hardtail Mountain Bike
  • lenny2811
    Free Member

Hi, I have just joined the group and I’m after some advice.
    It’s been twenty years since I last rode a mountain bike and I am looking to start again.

I have a budget of around £1300 for a hardtail and I would like to get a bike with fox forks, sram chainset or SRAM.

I have a seen Cube LTD SL 2014 for £850, but I have been looking at Ragley, Bird and Rose.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Paul

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Welcome aboard!

Tis the season to be jolly which means daily spam from On One with bargain bikes for sale

It would be difficult to look past a 4560b or whatever its called to be honest

Even without the wheel size issue I would find it hard to justify the extra cost of my custom built Cotic Soul over their current offers

dannyh
    Free Member

I feel some responsibility weighing on my shoulders here if you are returning after twenty years, I wouldn’t want to advise you wrongly!

I would say that generic good advice is:

Don’t choose a HT with a fork over 130mm of travel unless you are planning monster rock smashing expeditions. For normal riding too long a fork will sap your enthusiasm and make the bike labour intensive to muscle around corners.

Probably opt for a rockshox fork. They are more rugged than Fox in the sense of not needing to service them as often and still working well for longer without fettling. They are also the fork brand with the most readily available spares in my experience.

Get a tapered head tube if possible. Fork choices (as I have found out) are getting more limited for old style head tubes.

Don’t worry too much about wheel size. 26 is going to be around for a bit yet. Put in its very bluntest terms, bigger wheels = greatest efficiency in covering ground, smaller wheels = more fun for chucking it around. I’ll await the usual flaming for that comment, but the laws of physics are fairly immutable.

Leave money aside for a dropper post. I know you are only just coming back to it, but droppers and narrow wide chainrings are the best two developments in MTB of the last five years or so.

If you are quite bike fit from road riding etc, contemplate a 1x setup with a narrow wide ring, but don’t get too hung up on this. A wide spread of gears is better if you need to get fit as you ride.

As you are just returning, an aluminum frame is probably your best bet. Aluminium is a good compromise, being lighter than steel, cheaper than carbon.

Leave enough cash spare to get some good riding kit. You won’t like it if you’re cold and wet on every ride.

Now go splash the cash and enjoy.

ampthill

For £1300 the worlds your oyster

I wouldn’t choose a bike on its component manufacturer or fork manufacturer. But that’s just me.

I think you need to decide on whether you want to buy from a shop.

Buying from a shop this caught my eye

Genesis High Latitude. But that’s just a whim

Edit

I’ll give one reason for this brand

Too many bikes hide rubbish wheels

The Bontrager rear wheel on my Trek FS broke loads of spokes. I was told and now believe that the spokes were rubbish. The bike above doesn’t have flash wheels but they will work for years and when something goes wrong you LBS will be able to fix them

lenny2811
    Free Member

dannyh,
    Thanks for your advice, the problem that I have is that bikes have moved on since I last owned one and I have been to Evans and I’m somewhat confused. I want a bike that is going to last. I have seen a nice Cube and I have no idea about 26″ vs 27.5″ vs 29.
    Is there a bike out there that people have that they recommend?

Cheers

Paul

chestrockwell

At that sort of money I’d be looking at an On One Parkwood. My friend has one and I like it very much + it’s a bargain. Don’t be scared off by 29″ wheels as they’re ace. Also, from my experience the current Rock Shox Revelations are better then the Fox 32’s that will be the choice at that price. Similar with the Shimano Deore groupset. Very, very good and better then the Sram offerings at the price.

Saying all that, I’d actually be looking at an Orange Crush or Clockwork as I am a fan boy but accept they don’t offer the best value for money.

chestrockwell

If you want it to last don’t get 26″. I say this for no other reason then the industry seems to want to remove any memory of it.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is there a bike out there that people have that they recommend?

Usually the one they are riding at the moment. Where abouts are you? My lbs has quite a few test bikes. I’d recommend trying the different wheel sizes.

dannyh
    Free Member

From what you say, your best bet is probably to aim ‘in the middle’ on everything!

120mm travel.

650b.

68 degree ish head angle.

2×10 drivetrain.

That kind of thing. A sort of goldilocks approach of not too slack, not too steep etc. You get the picture.

Have a good look around and write down these details about any bike that catches your eye. You will then see a range and pattern developing. Plump for one in the middle of everything and at least you won’t be left thinking “if only I’d chosen a bike that wasn’t SO ———” if you get my drift.

Also remember if you try out a few bikes that contact points like saddles and grips are massively swappable (good dealers may offer to swap thing to ensure a sale) so don’t get too hung up an uncomfortable saddle for example.

As an absolute must, make sure you get the right size. Don’t just rely on frame measurement.

As I have said, with £1300 to spend, you don’t need to compromise any aspect of a hardtail.

Captain_Sponge

For the best advice, of what is best for what you require I’d suggest a decent local bike shop where they can spend an hour going through the options with them and get you the best fit in terms of bike and sizing. Buy from them if you find a good one.Where abouts are you?

It might cost a little more in initial headline costs butit will be worth it once you start looking at gear to wear, and stuff for the bike as you get enthused again.

Some Evans shop folk I’ve met have been very knowledgeable, but as with all shops if you can find a quieter time you’ll get a more informative and better response?

lenny2811
    Free Member

Hi bikeneil, I live in Renfrewshire. The main reason I want the bike to get fit and also there looks to be some decent trials.
    I think I was put off at evans when the guy in there tried to sell me a 16″ scott and I didn’t feel at all good on it, I am 6′ with a 32″ inside leg.

I’m not even bothered about a 2013, 2014 model, I just want something that will last. I am not exactly going to start tearing down hill sides, not immediately.

Rickos
    Free Member

Where are you likely to be riding 80% of the time? That would have a big part to play in what anyone would recommend. A bike for Thetford and a bike for Wales might well be different. 1×10, 29 v. 27b, dropper post, etc.

Edit – just seen your Renfrewshire…

lenny2811
    Free Member

Most of my time will be on trials around where I live (Renfrewshire, Scotland) (nothing to demanding, more beginner) then maybe some road work.
    I have had some great advice on this forum, so thank you for advice.
    There are a few independent cycle shops like Alpine Bikes. There is also a On One shop in Edinburgh.

I have spoken to a few people that I work with and there advice is different which is to be expected, the only thing they all said was don’t try and import one from the USA (false economy).

jamesy01
    Free Member

Id second a Parkwood, just as much fun as my old c456 on the downs but so so much better on the pedally uphill bits!
    Get yourself along to PX shop in Edinburgh and try one out for size, I was told M would suit me but having tried a large I knew M would be a compromise.
    Plus with a £1,300 budget you have enough to upgrade the bars and wheelset, I switched out for a carbon knucklebar and Flow Ex on pro2, keeps the bike at a reasonable 28lb’s

lenny2811
    Free Member

looks like the cube is not an option, sound like Planet X is worth a shout.
    I would like to use a small independent dealer rather than a large chain as it would be good to support local businesses.

There is a local guy who will service the bike and cover any technical work.

I was thinking about building a bike, but it seems a bigger minefield

vincienup
    Free Member

The USA advice is good.

If you get lucky and there’s no duty hit (possible but unlikely with USPS>RM, inpossible/unlikely with a courier) you’ll score a bargain. If there’s duty and a courier you could pay as much as the UK by the time it’s all done, have no warranty and a far more stressful buying experience. Buying from European dealers is fine from a customs point of view but again you won’t see it til it lands.

Spend some time looking at bikes and don’t take your wallet with you until you’re ready to make a decision (I find this helps against impulsive purchases). I’d check independent shops, take a look at On One and Edinbugh Cycles too. I’ve liked dealing with Singletrack Bikes (not related!). There are online/direct only brands that are excellent VFM but if you’re not sure what you want they’re a bad idea. Treat it like a car and walk away from any sales person you think is BS’ing you. I don’t mind Evans although they’re rarely cheap, but I’d be surprised if a 16″ Scott was a good fit for a 6 footer. You probably want something in the 17.5″ – 19″ range depending on leg length and reach.

While they may look like toys, dropper posts are rapidly becoming standard must-haves in the same sort of way that power steering and aircon have in cars. You really don’t *neeeeeeed* them, but they can make the ride so much more pleasant, and once you get used to one you won’t want to go back. Be wary of having old crap pushed on you as there’s been a lot of changing around of ‘standards’ the last couple of years. The industry seems to have settled on 29″ for XC and pootling and 650b/27.5″ for everything else – although that’s a huge generalisation and there’s going to be plenty of exceptions – and you can guarantee a huge thread of bottle throwing if you start a ‘what wheelsize?’ discussion… Bring the popcorn if you do. 🙂

Have a good long think about what you want to do with the bike, and don’t discount the possibility of buying something really cheap and saving the rest of the budget for this time next year if you’re really unsure what you’re going to ride rather than buy an expensive bike that’s wrong for you. Maybe you can borrow a bike or two from some mates to ride out with them and see what works for you?

emsz
    Free Member

get a Chameleon. you can do whatever you want with them. I can single speed mine, wind down the forks for xc stuff, and it’s fine in the mountains as well.

love mine

vincienup
    Free Member

Chameleons are ace (I’m about to sell one but have a buyer in mind) but you’re going to be in sh frame and building up from parts land if you do that. Sadly Chameleons new as complete bikes are ruinous and not particularly well specc’d for the money. The fact I’ve had a Chameleon for years is why I’ve never gone near a 456 – they’re very similar bikes – so something like a 45650 as someone suggested above could be a very good shout. With a decent build it should be capable of pretty much anything.

lenny2811
    Free Member

vincienup, great advice. I have had the “eyes roll back into the head” moment when I asked a colleague at work about wheel sizes (i won’t do it again).
    I will buy from a shop rather than online. I will pay more, but it’s peace of mind. Someone did recommend a Canyon, but it’s too much of a gamble.

In evans defence the guy said he was more road bikes than mountain bikes, but the bike was a end of line scott and was a 16″, he said raise the seat post……

dunmail
    Free Member

+1 to what vincienup says. A 29er hardtail with high volume, low pressure tyres just eats up the miles on XC type riding, the tyres provide some cushioning without the penalty of a full rear suspension.

One option that I don’t think has been mentioned yet is to buy the parts and build it up under the supervision of your friendly LBS or technical guy (for a fee of course). The advantages are that you get the bike you want and the knowledge of how to put a bike together. You might need some guidance as to what components go with what but that’s all part of the fun!

julzm
    Free Member

Lenny presumably you’re twlking about evans in braehead? Evans seems to be more road based in terms of knowledge although there are a couple of them in here that know a wee bit about mountwin bikes. I also wouldn’t touch Alpine Bikes as I’ve heard a few bad reports about them.

Try dales in Glasgow (up behind Caledonian uni). Quite a few of the guys in there are MTBers and they also run clubs etc. I’d definitely second the folks in here in that if you can find a LBS (local bike shop) that you can build a relationship with that certainly helps. Personally I buy all my bikes are Kirroughtree as I really trust The Breakpad down there. There are also quite a few decent bike shops out towards Edinburgh. You might also try Sprockets in Kilmarnock (I think Craig the owner posts on here). Again they offer group ride outs for all abilities so would help you meet up with people and the guys are certainly very knowledgeable.

MTBing in Scotland is excellent as we’ve so much all around us. Enjoy!

lenny2811
    Free Member

The chameleon is slightly over budget, however I now have a shortlist.
    has anyone dealt with Canyon?

emsz
    Free Member

couple of my dad’s friends have canyons they’re al happy with theirs. I think they both have 29ers. Nice bikes

lenny2811
    Free Member

julzm, thanks for the advice. It was Evans in Glasgow (near Buchanan Galleries). I have been to the one in Braehead a lot as my boy has jump bikes and bmx’s, I always find the store really busy (to be expected on a weekend).
    I will go on line and have a look at your recommendations

julzm
    Free Member

Lenny evans in Glasgow City centre is probably the worst bike shop I’ve ever been in!
    Give sprockets a call as they’d probably be able to put something together for you with that budget.

lenny2811
    Free Member

thanks julzm, they just weren’t interested and to be honest getting back on a bike is a big thing for me, the reason I haven’t been on one in such a long time is that I broke my leg and dislocated my shoulder when I was younger (no fear and no intelligence) on a infamous track.

I will give sprockets a call.

dannyh
    Free Member

STW at its best!

Sounds like you’ve been guided onto the best track by the masses.

And I thought it was all just backstabbing and bitching(!)

danti

+1 for a On One Parkwood
    I have the Fireline which is the Ti version and they’re a great frame.
    Climb very well for a trail 120mm rather than XC frame and descend superb due to slacker head angle.

Parkwood is exactly same geometry.
    For your budget you could get something like:

X fusion Slide forks – superb for the £
    Hope Pro2 Arch ex wheels – more durable than Crest rims
    Mix of XT/LX drivetrain/shifters
    Flat wide 700mm+ bars

qwerty
    Free Member

Here’s what i’m looking at buying:

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/clockwork-120-s

Leaves you £50.00 in change.

lenny2811
    Free Member

dannyh,
    Thanks for your advice and now I know where to begin, I didn’t have clue where to begin.
    I know have a shortlist on what to look for regarding sizing and spec.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

Get the genesis high latitude and get up the kilpatrick hills with us , you won’t look back m8

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Advice – Hardtail Mountain Bike’ is closed to new replies.