Home Forums Chat Forum Adblue

• This topic has 39 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by 5lab.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Adblue
  • binman

Not had to fill up for a while. My stock approach was to buy 10l at Halfords and spill a load on the drive. I see that it is about £20 for 10 litres now.

Have things moved on and is it available at petrol stations (haven’t seen it at my usual supermarket petrol forecourt) ?

Anyone seen it available much cheaper ?

pk13

26 quid for 10lts by me my van uses it horrible stuff

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, was surprised to see it’s now about twice the price is was when I last put 10l of the stuff in. 20ish quid for 10l on Morrisons forecourt

maccruiskeen

It’s in short supply because Putin has taken all the piss

duncancallum

Gas prices have pushed cost of urea up

oldschool

Some garages do sell it from a pump, but not loads. I know of one by me that does.

jamesoz

The HGV pumps often have it on pump. I think it’s a lot cheaper but you risk upseting a Yorkie muncher.

Tracey

I bought 20 L for just under £24 from Ebay at the end of August. It didn’t have a funnel but I didn’t need one. Free next day delivery

Daughter was out in France when the light came on. Its sold all over on fourcourts there but it worked out at double the price

binman

Cheers.

When I fuel up nr Sterling earlier this year I thought I remembered an Adblue pump on the forecourt. I wondered if it was a ‘thing’ that I had missed.

Cougar

That’s a lot of money for diluted piss. You might as well fill it with Fosters.

ffej
    Free Member

Cheapest place I found was oddly my vw main dealer. Had the car in for a fault and they had a standard price of (I think) £1 a litre. It was certainly much cheaper than halfords when I compared.

onehundredthidiot

Motor parts factors £14 for 10l

tomd
    Free Member

I used to always get it at Screwfix or toolstation but even they’re £20 for 10l now.

jamesco

Fill at the HGV pumps, it’s cheaper and unless your motor has a weird filling point the nozzle is designed to fit in perfectly so there’s no spillage or mess causing that horrible white residue.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How often do you need to put it in? I’ve done 5,000 miles in a diesel car I bought and it’s gone from 85% to 55% full

clubby

Jaguar says 500 miles/litre but also say it can vary. Mine takes 17 litres and they reckon top up light should come on in the mid 5000 miles. Had my car 6 years and do about the same annual mileage (9000). This is the first year I’ve ever had to put in a top up between services. Not sure if it was skipped during last service (plan) or if something else was causing it to use more. Had an old 2 litre top up but car burned through that pretty quickly. Not sure if it had gone off. New bigger top up pouch from Halfords went in and it’s been pretty steady since. Service due soon, going to check level before and after just to make sure.

alpin
    Free Member

Heard on the radio the other day that production of adblue was being halted by many producers due to the amount of energy needed to produce it.

Interesting times. Around 90% of trucks and 80% of buses in Germany need it. If it runs low an engine will refuse to start without it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m lucky, just bought a Jag F Pace from a Jag dealer so it was serviced & won’t need topping up with Adblue for ages. Then I can get it for beer off the place that services our buses.
    Might end up costing 8 cans instead of 4 though.

tomd
    Free Member

Commercially urea is made from reacting ammonia and CO2. Ammonia is made from natural gas which is now 10 – 20x the price of a couple of years ago. The main use of urea is in fertilisers. Russia was the world’s largest fertiliser exporter so the price of fertiliser is through the roof. It’s fair to say it’s a completely messed up market at the moment.

See the news earlier this year that CF Industries were shutting their ammonia plant in Cheshire and stopping the Billingham one. That’s happening all over.

andy4d

I got some adblue last month and also noted the huge price increase. I was reading up on why and saw the reasons above, this made me think about buying a spare refill just Incase I had issues 10 month down the line when I will need it again but I noticed that they all had expiry dates on them of about 12 months? Does adblue really go out of date?

duncancallum

Same process as fertiliser which I’d now 1400 quid a tonne apparently

timba
    Free Member

Does adblue really go out of date?

Yes, it can also deteriorate earlier https://www.tuffa.co.uk/blog/how-to-dispose-of-adblue-that-has-expired/
    A thought… you can use eggs beyond eggspiry (sorry), I wonder if AdBlue doesn’t change as described in the link whether it’s okay to use? (My Euro 6 doesn’t use it so I can’t volunteer for testing)

luv2ride
    Free Member

Heard on the radio the other day that production of adblue was being halted by many producers due to the amount of energy needed to produce it.

Interesting times. Around 90% of trucks and 80% of buses in Germany need it. If it runs low an engine will refuse to start without it.

^this. I’d picked up something about an impending Adblue shortage, alongside a 300% cost increase. Commercial Euro 6 (?) engines require it to meet emissions standards. If the shortage happens, those engines will probably need to be remapped to allow them to run on less or no Adblue. Emissions will increase, so Govt would need to suspend the emissions standards. Either way those vehicles either don’t run, or they produce more pollution. Meeting net zero targets may have got an awful lot harder…

timba
    Free Member

Meeting net zero targets may have got an awful lot harder…

The war in Ukraine has stuffed that in lots of ways. European factories were converted to run boilers on coal early in the conflict, Liz Truss is opening O&G drilling and fracking up, etc

CountZero

Really glad I bought a petrol car instead of replacing my Skoda with another diesel! Especially with the cost of diesel at the moment. I’m paying 159.9/ltr in Melksham, cheapest I’ve seen petrol anywhere.

mert
    Free Member

Any engine with an adblue dosing system will refuse to start once the tank is empty, it’s in the euro6 legislation, only exemptions are for *some* emergency vehicles and those used by military type organisations.
    If you store it sensibly it should still be useful/useable beyond the best before date. Have tested with 18 month old stuff that’s been stored in a cool, dark place. Though, if you store it in a shed that bakes every summer and freezes every winter it’ll probably not even last the year it’s supposed to.

duncancallum

Look at YARA they’re a big fertiliser and urea producer.

binman

Got some for £20 at Eurocarparts in the end.

smiffy

Meeting net zero targets may have got an awful lot harder…

Net Zero is about carbon.

mert
    Free Member

If the shortage happens, those engines will probably need to be remapped to allow them to run on less or no Adblue.

Nah, they’ll just not run.

chrispoffer
    Free Member

Having tried filling up with a drum I always use the HGV pumps now, much easier, cleaner and cheaper. And crucially you don’t end up with pig piss all over your legs and shoes. There are a couple of fuel stations near me that sell it, it’s by far the most convenient thing to do.

boblo
    Free Member

Why is it so farking difficult to fill up? The diesel juice goes straight in, no bother. The wee wee goes in/pukes out/goes in/pukes out – repeat to fade.

There’s doesn’t seem to be a vent like the fuel filler.

Whyohwhyohwhyohwhyohwhyohwhy etc

revs1972
    Free Member

£26 for 10 litres in Trago this afternoon .
    Last time I bought some it was £8.99 !!
    Takes the piss 🙄

stevedoc
    Free Member

We were on around 23p per litre 12 months ago my last bulk order was closer to 51p pl. mental world

mattyfez
    Free Member

Weatherspoons are missing a trick here.
    They could have a pump outside every pub!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

How many miles does 10l of adblue cover out of interest?

maccruiskeen

How many miles does 10l of adblue cover out of interest?

My van only holds about 10 litres  in the tank (I can’t quite get the full 10 litres in when it asked for a refill)  and is asking for its third refill at just under 10k from new (big van averaging about 30mpg) so over 3500 – 4000 miles from a 10 lite bottle. I’d imagine smaller vehicles would get more and it sounds like some have big enough tanks that its covered by service intervals so I guess some drivers dont really know what they’re using.

A lot wil vary of driving style – its not using adblu all the time, only when a regen of the DPF is required – so driving patterns will vary between drivers and the size / nature of the filter and how often it needs to be cleaned will vary from vehicle to vehicle.

If the shortage happens, those engines will probably need to be remapped to allow them to run on less or no Adblue.

Not using it is not an option – you can’t just tell the ECU the DPF isnt there  – you have to have the filter system that the adblu cleans removed otherwise it clog up and you might as well have just stuffed a potato up the exhaust.

molgrips
    Free Member

We did 1k miles or so in our hire car with Ad Blue and the gauge didn’t visibly shift, so quite a few as far as I can tell.

maccruiskeen

We did 1k miles or so in our hire car with Ad Blue and the gauge didn’t visibly shift,

But how big was the tank? Guages aren’t always that truthful simply because the tanks aren’t a regular shape – my last van had range of 350 miles on a tank of diesel but from full you could drive over 100 miles – ie use almost a 1/3rd of the tank – before the needle started to move

5lab

1.6 GM diesel uses about 20l per 10,000 miles. annoyingly has a 7l tank and only a warning when you’re at <1000km to go, so when you get close to running out whilst on holiday in france you have to bin the other 3l :/

There’s a map on the adblue site of everywhere that has pumps, but I can’t find it any more

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.