Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 392 total)
  • Adaptive STW
  • DrJ

Topic name and list of pages is truncated so you can’t go directly to the last page of posts.

RustyNissanPrairie

How do you find updates to your own threads/posts?

shifter
    Free Member

Also good on Fire

scruff9252

perchypanther – Member

Whilst we’re mucking about with the forum, do you suppose we could have a “stealth version ” which looks like an Excel Spreadsheet for the people who work in open plan offices?

On this, is it possible to do awaw with the Singletrack banner being perminantly on show when reading the forum through a half width window on the PC please? Makes it a little too conspicous for office skiving browsing.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Avatars look good and the like button is awesumz!

the-muffin-man

When text is quoted it’s displaying in Helvetica light italic, and also kerning looks compressed, so not easy to ready (this is on a 27″ iMac) – screenshot below…

munrobiker
    Free Member

scruff – if you’re on chrome you can get extensions (and I assume for Firefox or Safari too) that turn off images. This makes it all just read text. Although now, if STW thinks you’re on a mobile when you’re on a computer the whole top bar is an image so you can’t navigate.

chambord
    Free Member

Can STW not host the original on ‘/forum’, and this version on ‘/forumbeta’ so the haters can use the old version and others can use the new version, file bug reports (In this thread?) and then it can be rolled out as the default in a few weeks when the bugs are ironed out?

yunki
    Free Member

Looks kind of neater and tidier…
    Is loads faster than of late..
    The smiley bug is fairly minor

Merry Xmas

ratherbeintobago

Avatars look good and the like button is awesumz!

😀

Not sure why anyone needs an avatar. This isn’t MTBR you know.

whitestone
    Free Member

Looks fine to me. Have looked at it using Safari on iPad; Firefox and Chrome on Linux (Kubuntu) and Chrome on Mac. Only real difference is on the iPad where it’s much better, not checked which columns are visible in the thread listing on the iPad but they are all there on the desktop versions.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not just the forum. Anyone been to the home page (via the rather discreet link)?

Edit. Just noticed the permanent banner is a home button

GrahamS

Working pretty well on my venerable iPhone 4S.

Font size is fine without any zooming for the main text, if anything it’s a little big for my taste but I understand that many of the readership are getting on a bit:

Text when editing a post is a bit small though:

Good job overall though. Well done STW bods.

acidtest
    Free Member

Personally I’d restore from backup and get back on it in a dev environment after xmas.

njee20
    Free Member

Font’s far too big on iOS Safari, forum overview button at the bottom is a pain.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think I’m starting to get the hang of it. Some features work in landscape others in portrait. Just need to keep spinning the tablet to get the one you want

IHN

Don’t you have to beta environment for testing?

I get the intention, and it’s to be welcomed, and I know this stuff is a lot harder than the average web-surfing punter thinks it is, but it doesn’t half feel like someone’s accidentally released their unit test code into production.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Whilst we’re mucking about with the forum, do you suppose we could have a “stealth version ” which looks like an Excel Spreadsheet for the people who work in open plan offices?

Agreed. With the ‘singletrack’ banner across the top it means there’s no way to stealth browse on a PC. Until that’s gone I won’t be on STW when I’m at my desk.

ratherbeintobago

Isn’t that the Grit.CX forum?

mattyfez

It’s a reet bloody mess.. navigation broken, text reflow broken, zoom broken, stupid permanent banner prevents full screen browsing.

What a brexit.

aP
    Free Member

Ad revenue will be dropping today as that big banner means no one will be using the site whilst at work from now on.

mboy
    Free Member

Mixed emotions about this one. Clearly it’s faster, and as a paid up member (which is also an option folks, you get a nice shiny heavily discounted magazine delivered to your door every so often too) ads aren’t a problem…

BUT… I can’t see who the hell started the thread until I click on it and enter into it, by which time it might be too late and I’ve been drawn into Hora’a latest “what car/bike/tyres for my biannual ride” thread and like a moth circling a flame, I won’t be able to pull myself away! 😐

Cougar

There is a beta site, yes.

mattyfez

Beta = prod apparently

acidtest
    Free Member

Is there not a template switcher available, so at least give people the option until it’s at least in beta form.

STATO
    Free Member

Agreed. With the ‘singletrack’ banner across the top it means there’s no way to stealth browse on a PC. Until that’s gone I won’t be on STW when I’m at my desk.

Are you saying its always on your screen when scrolling? Im not getting that (internet explorer on PC).

IHN

There is a beta site, yes.

So the obvious question is, why is it in Production in this state?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yes, well it was until I installed an add on that allows me to ‘block elements’. So the ‘singletrack’ part is blocked but still showing the search and dropdwon bit. Using firefox btw.

leffeboy

It’s NICE on Windows Phone – likes

ART

I iz freaked out, it’s change and I’m not ready … us oldies need warning for all this new fangled technical malarky … 😉

dragon
    Free Member

Wow that’s dreadful on a desktop, the adverts take precedent over the website / forum text.

I’m not sure releasing something untested this close to Christmas was a good idea, when I’m assuming you all want a well earn’t rest and not a lot of grumpy forum folk asking for updates.

STATO
    Free Member

dragon – Member

Wow that’s dreadful on a desktop, the adverts take precedent over the website / forum text.

If you want it to not be dreadful you need to say how you are viewing it, otherwise they cant possibly fix it.

Xylene
    Free Member

I never knew stw was full of flat earthers

Gary_M
    Free Member

Ah the singletrack banner thing is only there if you view in a reduced size browser – viewing full screen removes it, but I don’t view full screen in work.

Mark

Just refresh the page. All layout issues should fix themselves.

It’s on the list 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Well I’m using a bog standard computer running Chrome, I’d have thought that as it a pretty boring setup then STW would have tested it in that environment before release.

chipster

The banner’s still there (Chrome on Android). Why on earth would you think I’d need that?

mboy
    Free Member

I’m not sure releasing something untested this close to Christmas was a good idea, when I’m assuming you all want a well earn’t rest and not a lot of grumpy forum folk asking for updates.

Not if they hate Christmas as much as I do!

Convenient excuse to have to work through it rather than spend hours/days of enforced merriment with people you barely see the rest of the year! 😆

fasthaggis

Yay,a new search engine.

Search for: New AND search AND engine
    No results found.
    SEARCH INSTRUCTIONS

This search works just like Google. Search for specific words or phrases, optionally excluding others.
    Here are some searching examples:
    “some words” finds posts that contain “some words of wisdom”, but not “some strange words”.
    apple banana finds posts that contain both these words, in any order.
    apple OR juice finds posts that contain either of these words.
    apple -macintosh finds posts with “apple” but not “macintosh”.
    apple* finds “apple”, “apples”, “applesauce”, and “applet”.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve managed to get it working, with various add ons, in an extreme stealth mode so I’m happy 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 392 total)

The topic ‘Adaptive STW’ is closed to new replies.