• This topic has 105 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by myti.
Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)
  • A list of things I don’t eat
  • Keando

Liver, Cherries, Almonds/Marzipan can all do one as far as I am concerned.

funkmasterp

Roast or fry them in butter, properly seasoned, they are much nicer.

Roasting or frying anything in butter improves it though.

I’m not a big fan of cow or sheep. Meat in general really apart from chicken. I love chicken.

chewkw
    Free Member

“A list of things I don’t eat”

These are some of the things I don’t eat due to allergy or simply toxic etc.

I don’t eat aquatic bottom dwellers due to pollution etc such as catfish, prawn, crab or shell fish, and especially those imported ones.  (North Sea fish is fine)

Peanuts (I like them but they are toxic)

Cherries (slight allergy)

Most mushroom except the supermarket white/brown button mushroom

Food that is cooked in aluminum pan or pot, wrap in aluminum foil, hot food serve in plastic bowl or bag (in some Far East countries this is the norm). Also food cooked in non-stick pots/pans.

Food that contain artificial sweetener or the list of chemical is very long.  (I still eat some pot noodles but is slowly reducing the intake).

Food that contain too much of a mixed of sea and land dwellers.

Food that requires complicated preparation i.e. generally related to heavily processed food.

arrpee
    Free Member

In true STW style, you sprout haters are just doing it wrong.

There’s very little I won’t eat. Wouldn’t be in a mad rush to try sea urchin again, but I’d give it a go on the off-chance that it’s one of those things you need a few attempts at.

Didn’t much fancy the look of jellied eels when I’ve seen them.

And, much as I hate to contradict Binners on high-calorie foods, good hummus is awesome.

slowoldman

Liver, Cherries, Almonds/Marzipan can all do one as far as I am concerned.

Mmmmm. Calf’s liver with buttery mash and cabbage with a cherry frangipane tart to finish. Lovely.

chewkw
    Free Member

Sprout?  Sprout is good. It is my lazy veg.  Just boil and add salt. Tasty yum yum!  I used to buy bags of them after Xmas because they were so cheap and would continue eating them for weeks in every meal.  LOL!   

ransos
    Free Member

A veritable AAAA andouillette with potatoes or choucroute/sauerkraut is a wonderful thing with Dijon mustard

It is, literally, pig poo pipe, and smells like it. I have very few rules about dining, but one of them is to not eat things that smell of poo.

kormoran
    Free Member

refried sprouts in garlic and maybe a bit of gammon thrown in. Awesome

Eeel is superb, probably too rare now though.

Turkey? jesus no, just filth

Marzipan by the brick, peferably wrapped around fruitcake

slowoldman

Eeel is superb, probably too rare now though

An uncle of mine in Germany had a pub and just across the yard was a smokehouse where they used to smoke whole Eels. My sister and I would get a big chunk as a snack with a slice of brown bread – to wipe your mouth and hands on. Utterly delicious but so different to the pathetic little fillets served up these day.

kormoran
    Free Member

i cannot think of eels without being sad
    In my youth the local stream ran solid with them, dark damp nights they would wriggle across the dewy grass and into a neighbouring pond where they grew fat and serpent like

They don’t come anymore

chewkw
    Free Member

Eeel is superb, probably too rare now though

That I agree. Even jellied eel taste good! I used to buy 3 to 4 tubs when they were available at Tesco long time ago. No more.

An uncle of mine in Germany had a pub and just across the yard was a smokehouse where they used to smoke whole Eels. My sister and I would get a big chunk as a snack with a slice of brown bread – to wipe your mouth and hands on.

That sounds absolutely superb! Smoked or grilled eel are the best regardless of the tradition. i.e. European smoked or Japanese grilled etc.

i cannot think of eels without being sad

Yes, they used to be plenty in the rivers.
    The saddest for me is the disappearance of sea food or creatures/fish etc … they are disappearing fast.

RustySpanner

I always declined the sheep brains at This’n’That when Iqbal ran it.
    Never had the opportunity to try it since, sadly. I’ve eaten calf’s brain, quite a delicate taste but the texture isn’t for everyone.

Tripe was ok, but never tried elder (boiled cows udder).

Lungs, heart, various glands, trotters, all good.
    Chicken livers lightly fried with tomato are superb.

I draw the line at bananas, non tender stem broccoli and rhubarb. And gooseberries.
    Man, they ming.

dyna-ti

Calf’s liver with buttery mash

Thats you now on cougar’s hit list of those up getting put up against the wall, when the vegetarian revolution comes.

chewkw
    Free Member

Slightly off topic.

Learn about eels here

https://www.nature.scot/plants-animals-and-fungi/fish/freshwater-fish/european-eel

There used to be an investigation into smuggling of baby eels before they had a chance to populate the river. That really piss me off big time.

TiRed

Deep fried par boiled sprouts are fabulous. It’s a delicacy in the US. In fact when I first had them I had to ask what they were!

smiffy

It’s a delicacy in the US

Two words you don’t often see in the same sentence.

brownperson
    Free Member

sprouts, turkey and pigs in blankets.

I’m Muslim* and I LOVE pigs in blankets. My local butcher does some amazing piggies at Christmas time, and I always get a big order in. And I go round just after Christmas, scavenging for any they haven’t sold yet. They will occasionally do them for me out of season too.

Sprouts, I normally wouldn’t bother with, but good quality fresh sprouts steamed, then fried in garlic butter with some crispy shredded pancetta. Mmm.

*I didn’t say I was a good Muslim.

ernielynch

So you are a Muslim who celebrates Christmas by eating pork?

Doesn’t sound very kosher.

brownperson
    Free Member

I know.

I’m sorry.

Please don’t tell the Rabbi.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

“ah, perhaps you should try humus from the area that it was actually invented, rather than Greece? Proper, hand made (or home made!) hummus is a real treat as opposed to that shite sludge that supermarkets sell. “

All the best Greek food is Turkish…

My ex -wife is Greek, and if there’s on thing guaranteed to cure a fussy eater like me of their dislikes and phobias it’s a Greek barbecue.  Everything I refused to eat as a kid I now nom down, even fish now and then , but that still demands a bucket for a few hours after….

johnx2
    Free Member

Turkish may be my favourite cuisine

Mmmmm. Calf’s liver with buttery mash and cabbage with a cherry frangipane tart to finish. Lovely.

Animal. Fried lamb’s liver and onions. Hot or cold (arvanut gieri)

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I’m doing smoked shotgun shells this xmas on the weber- canneloni stuffed with sausage meat and cheese all wrapped in bacon- yum

ernielynch

And you don’t eat them?

tourismo

Oysters

Mushrooms

Offal – unless it’s been made into haggis

Celery – the devil’s own vegetable

Anything that has tentacles

I like sprouts, par boil, roughly chopped and fried in butter with bacon.

myti
    Free Member

Insects, snails definitely not and not keen on licorice or marzipan but could at a push.

Viewing 26 posts - 81 through 106 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.