• This topic has 105 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • A list of things I don’t eat
  • greyspoke
    Free Member

Mrs g mekes mincemeat for the mince pies and they are fab! Really fruity and not too sweet the filling is quit unlike that sugary dark gloop you get in grocers’ mince pies. Also made in standard shortcrust pastry not that weird sugar coated stuff that can barely hold the filling in. But you need to start making the mincemeat at the beginning of Nov to allow it to mature.

Not a big turkey fan, we have a goose. But **** me the prices this year – 100 quid!!!!!

convert

The anti-sprouters…….
    Have you tried them since you were about 8? The pretty massive change in our taste receptors over time means you might well be pleasantly surprised. And of course an appreciation of whoever is doing the cooking that there are alternatives to boiling them to ****.

winston
    Free Member

Love a good sausage and also love bacon but somehow putting the two together is less than the sum of its parts, not more. It doesn’t help that shops sell those horrible pre-built efforts which just taste of fat and water.

A well cooked sprout is a beautiful thing

Turkey? Nah. Just tastes bland. We have a combination of a free range chicken and home made nut roast.

hot_fiat

Marzipan can get in the sea, along with Turkey which is the worst roast meat going. Surely very few people  would consciously choose it over anything else for a normal Sunday roast? Why ruin a massive family meal with a difficult to cook correctly expensive leftover dinosaur.

ElShalimo

Try this to make the sprouts more acceptable:

Melt some butter in a frying pan, throw in half an onion, sliced sprouts, pancetta cubes and a few chopped chestnuts. Liberally season with whatever you like.

Not long after you’ve got a lovely sprouty piggy side dish. It’s nice on sourdough toast too

crazy-legs

It’s around this time of year that my grandma (back in the days we used to go there every Christmas) would put the sprouts on to be ready in time for Christmas Day. She was obsessed with putting the sprouts on.

What arrived on the plate was a pale green watery mush with a faint hint of sprout still lingering.

It’s only very recently (30+ years later!) that I’ve been able to tolerate properly cooked sprouts.

Turkey is terrible – again this goes back to my grandparents days when they’d get a turkey the size of a donkey from their local turkey farmer friend and we’d be eating sodding turkey for the next 2 weeks. Dry and flavourless.

We have venison and duck now – much nicer meats!

ElShalimo

Overcooking the turkey is optional

It’s a very nice meat if cooked well and it’s really not that hard to cook

binners

Yeah, I never really got the whole Turkey thing. It’s dry and completely tasteless. We never have it as there are so many tastier alternatives. You’re just making a roast dinner, after all. 

Anyway… Isn’t it about time to get the sprouts on?

Harry_the_Spider

I’m vegetarian, so tasty meat is out.

I’ll eat pretty much anything else apart from capers which are Satan’s ear bogies.

On the cheese front my recent MOT showed that cholesterol levels could be lower… so cheese consumption has been throttled back. Therefore, as of last week I’m about 30% tomato.

flowerpower
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve seen a blinking lizard…

😉

lovewookie

I’m firmly in the don’t like sprouts camp.

don’t like parsnips either.

or my mums stew, smells like BO.

curry with raisins.

korma

don’t really like steak. not over keen on beef.

lamb chops are a waste of effort

same with unshelled prawns.

some stuff i like the taste of, but my body doesn’t so I don’t eat it, like hummus, or anything overy chickpea, or concentrated cashew/almond.

will pretty much eat anything else outwith a bushtucker challenge.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Anything that wobbles…..

Apart from jelly. But anything else that wobbles wont go down

maccruiskeen

Anything that can blink.

What about winking. Would you eat Anne Robinson?

ransos
    Free Member

Turkey can be dry, but brining overnight really helps, plus it cooks quicker. I always go for the dark meat on the bone, way more flavour than the breast meat.

But yeah, there are tastier alternatives. I will probably do beef rib this year.

ossify

Sprouts are great. Even raw. Yum. I could eat them roasted until I burst.

Also roast parsnip.

Liquorice is an odd one. Can’t stand the root or flavour in things like herbal tea, however the chewy sweet is great, even the salty version. Also aniseed. The smell though of both is amazing! How something can smell so gorgeous and taste so vile is beyond me.

Fatty/slimy/boney bits of meat or fish is the worst for me. And undercooked egg whites 🤮

My kids will happily eat fat, marrow jelly, fish eyes (!), makes me ill just watching.

johnx2
    Free Member

I have many, many intolerances…

But I am very happy indeed to eat pretty much anything including sprouts etc etc. 

However, not been veggie for years bar a few before we had kids and then a few as kids went through veggie phases. But latterly we’ve stopped buying dairy -it’s an unkind industry- any pig products and cheap meat generally. And octopus is off the menu. They’ve started farming the intelligent little buggers which just seems wrong. I have not researched squid and have no desire to as I love squid. 

Might waive some of this for Christmas, we’ll see.

slowoldman

There’s nowt so queer as folk.

Drac

The anti-sprouters…….Have you tried them since you were about 8?

Yes, still horrible. Both my kids loved them when they were toddlers, won’t entertain them now. 

johnx2
    Free Member

There’s nowt so queer as folk.

Well yeah . But to complete the adage it goes “there’s nowt so queer as folk save thee and me, and thou art queer sometimes”.  As in we’re all weird.  And??

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Well no food sold in a supermarket can blink.

You’ve obviously not been to the exciting supermarkets.

I won’t eat rice pudding, or deep fried crickets ever again.

Bruce

I love sprouts. Sprout curry, sprout samosas things I won’t eat meat, fish aubergine, anything from Greg’s Mc Donald’s, kentucky fried anything  Burger King. Vegan imitation meat etc

Especially not grilled gizzards which we on the menu in France.

sparkyrhino

Try sprouts every Christmas, still hate them, no matter how there cooked or prepared. Used to have a sprout catapult (should make a new one) the best thing you can do with them is fire them into oblivion.

Also detest any shell fish, pumpkin and coffee flavoured food items

stingmered

When it comes to foods* I can’t eat, I’m still in awe of the Greek Tiling Grout Marketing Board

ah, perhaps you should try humus from the area that it was actually invented, rather than Greece? Proper, hand made (or home made!) hummus is a real treat as opposed to that shite sludge that supermarkets sell. 

slowoldman

As in we’re all weird.  And??

You are right of course, it’s all a matter of taste (literally in this case).

D0NK

Well this appears to be 50/50

You’ve just not tried it cooked/prepared properly

And

It doesn’t matter how it’s cooked/prepared I’m never going to like it

In equal measure, and either, or both, could be correct.

Wasnt aware of the rest of the adage, will remember that, thanks johnx2

Snails & tripe for me, not much else I wouldn’t eat if hungry, but I try to be choosy.

dyna-ti

I saw a vid years ago of a guy in Gibraltar giving one of the monkeys a Brussels sprout. The monkey spat it out and then slapped the guy 😆

If monkeys wont eat them, that tells you everything you need to know about Brussels sprouts.

martinhutch

If monkeys wont eat them, that tells you everything you need to know about Brussels sprouts.

Or that sprout-haters are closer in genetic alignment with monkeys than the rest of us.

Personally, goats cheese, or strong blue cheese. Something about it triggers the gag reflex.

Any guts-related offal, eg andouilette. Bits used to make sausage skins/ haggis excepted.

IdleJon

Or that sprout-haters are closer in genetic alignment with monkeys than the rest of us.

Try this to make the sprouts more acceptable:
    Melt some butter in a frying pan, throw in half an onion, sliced sprouts, pancetta cubes and a few chopped chestnuts. Liberally season with whatever you like.

Us monkey men know that disguising the flavour of sprouts with other much nicer stuff is something that our monkey mothers used to do when we were toddlers. 😀

RustyNissanPrairie

I’ve been known to eat at the downstairs restaurant on occasions.

matt_outandabout

I’d happily dispense with all the other elements of Christmas and just replace it with a big bowl of pigs in blankets.

@binners
    – I spent 10 days in Myanmar and found most restaurants sold pigs in blankets… Next to thier official dish (a fish curry/soup) it’s apparently an ‘unnoficial’ national dish.

I of course was happy to support this.

martinhutch

Thing about sprouts is that most people’s hated memories of them is being presented with a portion that had been boiled to oblivion for almost the entire time the turkey was cooking. Roast or fry them in butter, properly seasoned, they are much nicer.

wbo
    Free Member

I like turkey and sprouts.  But pigs in blankets take two good foods and combine the worst of both.

I like curry, I like ice cream.  But I’ve never though Sag chicken and vanilla ice cream a good idea.

Bunnyhop

Our local butcher makes beautiful pigs in blankets. Ah now sprouts, the ones home grown are sweet and delicious. I slice them finely, pop into stirfries  and soups.

I detest gristle or fat of any type, but also chillies, or spicy food.

jimmy

My missus is good at picking food off forrin menus that is truly awful.

Spain – “Pigs Trotters”: a pile of wobbly gelatinous gloop. I wretched watching her poke it about her plate.

Japan – “Fishy Custard”: Custard, with oily fish gunk in it. A slightly nicer looking version made an appearance on Masterchef last week, like a  baked egg custard with prawns on. Still though, fish + custard? And she didn’t choose that, it was presented as a delicacy so she had to have a go at eating it.

BOKE. 

Kramer
    Free Member

It’s a very nice meat if cooked well and it’s really not that hard to cook

I agree about the first bit, disagree about the second.

I cook a lot. I reckon that getting a roast turkey right is about one of the hardest things I cook.

jamesoz

Due to a fairly savage tree nut allergy i can be quite picky.
    I rarely eat cake/pudding or stuffing or anything someone might think nuts might ‘be a nice touch’. Obviously it’s easy not to have nuts in these things but through the years it’s meant I avoid such foods and it’s easier for everyone.

I get a hay fever type reaction if I’m in a room where someone starts cracking walnuts.

Probably controversial but I won’t eat, for no other reason than I don’t like them:-

Bananas

Beans of any kind

Black pudding

White Pudding

Haggis

Liver

Kidneys

Mash potato

Swede

Yogurt

I have eaten some of the above in the past to be polite or because  I had no choice, but given the choice I wouldn’t.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ll eat most stuff I reckon, including insects. Pets at home never did reply to my email asking if their insects are safe for human consumption…

Anyway, white onion unless it’s basically disintegrated. For some reason I can’t eat oatmeal or rice pudding without getting nausea and a really intense sense of deja vu – I pretty quickly stopped googling when I tried finding out more information on that.

fazzini

Both my kids loved them when they were toddlers, won’t entertain them now.

My 2 are the same, however, I’m a sneaky sod, so every Christmas Day dinner they get them, eat them, and never once have complained…I may have finely sliced and incorporated them with the creamed savoy cabbage and bacon that they love, but they still eat them 🙂

Liquorice (in any form)…an abomination. It should reside in a special place in hell along with Pernod, Malibu and pine nuts

kcal

My mum used to always ask me “do you *still* not like baked beans”, when her list of preferred food was vanishingly small (Chicken Maryland, anyone).

Off the top of my head, my dislikes are : baked beans, tea (as in e.g. Indian tea), bananas (stomach cramps up), marmalade, and stuff like liver &c.   It’s not a huge list!  ^^ I didn’t used to like stuff like tomato juice, black pudding but partial to both now – or at least will happily have tomato juice.   mmm, Bloody Mary.

ElShalimo

A veritable AAAA andouillette with potatoes or choucroute/sauerkraut is a wonderful thing with Dijon mustard

😎🇫🇷

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.