• This topic has 105 replies, 71 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by myti.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • A list of things I don’t eat
  • BigJohn

Would include sprouts, turkey and pigs in blankets.
    And I suspect most people find them so bad they only eat them one day a year, as opposed to the 50 or more days a year they eat stuff they like.
    So why is it, in mid-November, you can’t turn on the radio or TV without hearing everyone (including otherwise likeable people) wittering on about how they’re going to try to make them barely palatable on something they refer to as the “Big Day”?

simondbarnes

I eat sprouts most days during the winter, they’re bloody lovely. I don’t need the telly to tell me that though.

fasthaggis

Sprout curry FTW

frankconway

Spam, lamb, pigs in blankets, roast turkey, jelly, jacket potatoes, most types of takeaway – for starters and main and dessert.

joebristol

Can’t stand sprouts, they’re like gross concentrated cabbages on steroids. The smell is gross, the texture is gross and the taste is rancid.

Turkey is good though – love cooking a Turkey crown basted in garlic butter, covered in slices of oranges, then a layer of smoked bacon on top of that. Lush.

Pigs in blankets – how can anyone not love those bad boys??

Next you’ll be saying you don’t like Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies and brandy cream 🤯

BigJohn

Sprout curry FTW

Is FTW an approximation of the noise you make after?

dyna-ti

Is it a vegetable ?

No thanks, sorry.

Add to that any dried fruit like raisins, or anything raisinesque for that matter.

Spicy ?, not for me.

binners

I’d happily dispense with all the other elements of Christmas and just replace it with a big bowl of pigs in blankets.

If you don’t like pigs in blankets then I actually pity you. It’s a dream combination of the two greatest foodstuffs on earth.

tomhoward

Do you dislike sausages and/or bacon separately? Or is it their marriage that you can’t abide?

Turkey (breast) is prob my least favourite meat, but don’t mind a leg.

Sprouts are ok if cooked nicely.

Struggling to think of anything I won’t eat at all, save from Parma Violets.

Merak

If you’re starving you’ll eat anything, and like it.

Drac

Sprouts

Brocolli

Cauliflower

Liquorice 

Heinz Crème of Tomato Soup

That’s about it. 

frankconway

Pigs in blankets – cheap chipolatas wrapped in streaky bacon; what’s to like in that combination?
    I wouldn’t give them to next door’s dog.
    If the offering was, say, venison sausage wrapped in chorizo – yes please.

tomhoward

Ooh good shout on liquorice. I can handle aniseed flavours in small doses, but too much makes me retch.

ernielynch

Anything that can blink.

Plus cephalopods.

tomhoward

Anything that can blink.

All round to Ernie’s for a festive feast of fish, snakes and lizards then!

binners

Pigs in blankets – cheap chipolatas wrapped in streaky bacon; what’s to like in that combination?

Erm… just, like… EVERYTHING!

ernielynch

Well Lizards do have the ability to blink Tom but I had assumed that the question was in relation to what you can buy in a UK supermarket 😁

https://youtu.be/jNLUYUh8YUo?si=4yDUUlj9GFQEuOAW

binners

When it comes to foods* I can’t eat, I’m still in awe of the Greek Tiling Grout Marketing Board when they came up with the genius idea of adding garlic flavouring to their waste product, labelling it as something called ‘Hummus’ and flogging it to gullible middle class people

It’s not for me, personally, eating tiling grout, but if that’s what floats yer boat

* is it technically ‘food’?

theotherjonv

Parboiled crushed sprouts stir fried with pancetta or lardons, a bit of soy or Maggi’s sauce (umami) 

Nomnomnom

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Meat, cheese and mince pies. Everything else is fair game –  even sprouts. 

ernielynch

Well the user name doesn’t check then

binners

You don’t like cheese?!!!

reeksy

Anchovies

Faeces

Reckon i’d give anything else a go.

dyna-ti

Chicken with bones in it. Utter horror for me. Fillets fine no probs, but chicken with bones in it gives me the heebie jeeebies. Totally freaking.

I’ve have my hands in cattle, sheep and pigs moments after slaughter, and thats not problem, but place a chicken thigh or wings on the plate and im getting ready to boak.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you buy shit you eat shit*

Quality chipolatas + quality streaky bacon = heaven on a plate AKA the kilted sausage.

Turkey can get to **** though. Goose please (or glue all the kilted sausages together with a mustard mash into the shape of a large bird.

*Still going to eat the lot though.

nickc

Meat. 

I once had a meal in Japan, part of which appeared to be snot (I think it was a fungi of some sort) I wouldn’t be in a a rush to have that again.

errrr…that’s it I reckon. 

didnthurt

Sprouts are grown seasonally which just happens to be around Christmas, this is how food was and is supposed to be consumed. IME this how most if not all food in other countries like Italy is consumed. It help that they have great weather so can grow more diverse crops, but nevertheless we should be eating more seasonally, instead of flying foods halfway around the world.

I’d happily eat sprouts every week, they’re just not very available all year roumd.

I’d also happily eat turkey over chicken, it’s so much better tasting (if cooked well), but again it’s not as available the rest of the year. 

It’s fish that I can’t stand, but thats less Christmas related. 

pisco

Not much I won’t eat, although I don’t do offal beyond paté or tongue, and have grown to dislike anything with more than a hint of cinnamon.

As I get older, it’s more a case of low quality crap just isn’t worth it. See instant coffee, instant gravy, cheap supermarket ice cream etc. Ask yourself during consumption “Am I actually enjoying this?” and if the answer is no, stop shovelling it in. 

This applies to turkey. I think we’ll do a chicken and gammon this year and save £££ in the process. 

tuboflard

Eggs. In any shape or presentational format. (Ok I realise they’re in cakes and the like which I don’t mind).

kerley
    Free Member

Can’t think of anything I won’t eat. I can even eat celery nowadays whereas when a kid I wouldn’t touch it as it tastes very strong to me. As a 15 year old I was a bit fussy, as a 55 year old I have grown up and just eat things.

There is something to be said for eating something a good number of times rather than just rejecting it from the start. I used to spit out olives when young as hated them, then just ate them a few times and now can eat loads of them.

Is that an age thing, a mental thing, a taste change thing – who knows

Drac

Well Lizards do have the ability to blink Tom but I had assumed that the question was in relation to what you can buy in a UK supermarket

Well no food sold  in a supermarket can blink. 

ransos
    Free Member

The bacon and the sausage.

ton

marzipan is possibly the only food i cant eat.

i have and will try anything. some things are not too enjoyable tho.

i eat food i enjoy. which is mostly protein type things, either roast or fried.

pictonroad

Mince pies are grim.

Festering pale poultices sloughed from a medieval spice trader’s gangrene riddled inner thigh.

tomhoward

Well Lizards do have the ability to blink Tom

beg to differ.

IMG_2029

alpin
    Free Member

I find most Christmas foods a bit meh. 

Sprouts. No. 

Turkey is a crappy meat, but then I rarely eat chicken. 

Pigs in blankets is just a waste of bacon. Would rather have them separately. 

Mince pies and Christmas pudding do nothing for me. Only used to eat a bit of Christmas pudding because my aunt used to put money in it and there was a chance of finding a quid. 

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cut sprouts in half and fry them, delicious!

oldnpastit

Sprouts are delicious.

I was cutting up sone chicken breast the other day to feed to my family, suddenly understood why my mum said she hated cooking meat, chicken in particular. Depressing stuff.

Tofu FTW but my children refuse to eat it because it doesn’t taste like chicken.

So I don’t eat tofu, not because I don’t like it but because they don’t.

mert
    Free Member

Surströmming, Coffee.
    I’ve eaten pretty much everything else that’s been put in front of me in the last 50 years.
    Including Ants, snake, eel and various pickled, battered or fried extremities.

Some of it i’m not a massive fan off, but will eat it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.