Home Forums Chat Forum A film to watch with my 12 year old daughter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • A film to watch with my 12 year old daughter.
  • eulach

As the wife and son are off to the theatre tonight, I am looking forward to a the sofa, a film, crisps and ice cream. But what film? The kids are getting a bit bored of my 80s nostalgia so preferably something from the last decade. You’ve not let me down yet, STW.

fasthaggis

Holes
    Stardust

dyna-ti

Fantastic Mr Fox or Isle of Dogs. Both on Disney+

Isle of dogs

Fantastic Mr Fox

reeksy

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

faz71

We all watched Cruella last night and it was excellent. My 13yr old loved it.

theotherjonv

+1 Stardust. Something for everyone. Great film.

Coraline for weirdness.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Aliens.
    Scare the bejezus out of her.
    I think I waited until mine was about 13 and it instantly became her favourite film ever. She still loves it.

slackboy

clueless or mean girls.

Or la la land – great film

Or if you have Disney plus, the Phineas and Ferb feature length cartoons are hilarious.

kayak23

Is a great choice.

Nims Island?
    My Nieceseses used to love that.

mcfly
    Free Member

The Enola Holmes films with Millie Bobby Brown are utterly brilliant. Or if you’d like a series, we loved Wednesday

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is Avatar2 on streaming services yet?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Saw the title and came her to say “The Princess Bride” but it’s 80s nostalgia.

It’s not, it’s actually pure genius.

willard

Apocalypse Now: Director’s Cut.

Start them young.

anagallis_arvensis

This.
    My 12 year old son loves it.
    Just make sure you have some babaganoush in

vongassit
    Free Member

The fastest woman in the world.

dyna-ti

Aliens.
    Scare the bejezus out of her.

My father took my sister and I to see jaws when it first came out(we were 7+9)

The reason far as i can tell was he was really busy with work, and didnt want us constantly going on about trips to the seaside.

nicko74

Onzadog
    Free Member
    Saw the title and came her to say “The Princess Bride” but it’s 80s nostalgia.

It’s not, it’s actually pure genius.

Ditto. It’s not 80s, it’s timeless!

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Another vote for Enola Holmes. Strong female role models and all that, not patronising. My daughter loves both movies

crazy-legs

How to Train Your Dragon.

My nieces love it. Plus it’s one of those animated films that has enough in-jokes and references for adults too.

z1ppy

My father took my sister and I to see jaws when it first came out(we were 7+9)
    The reason far as i can tell was he was really busy with work, and didnt want us constantly going on about trips to the seaside.

Excellent!

Princess Bride should be mandatory watching, love Holes too

mrb123
    Free Member

Cocaine Bear

Drac

Threads.

Prepare her for what’s coming.

onewheelgood

Apocalypse Now: Director’s Cut.

Start them young.

Username checks out.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Bridge to Terabithia.

Brilliant. But be prepared to blub together.

alexpalacefan

Came here to say Cocaine Bear

APF :-)

gecko76

Watched the Princess Bride with my 10 and 12 year old daughters last night. They thought it had some good lines but Buttercup was pathetic, and would have been better swapped with Wesley.

Stardust should be better.

sharkattack

Cocaine Bear is always the answer but it’s set in 1985 so they probably won’t like it.

redmex
    Free Member

School of rock but my daughter now 29 it may be a bit dated

johnners
    Free Member

The Queen Of Katwe, it’s on iPlayer. You’ll both love it.

maccruiskeen

Watched the Princess Bride with my 10 and 12 year old daughters last night. They thought it had some good lines but Buttercup was pathetic, and would have been better swapped with Wesley.

I think The Fall (the one with Lee Pace not the one with Gillian Anderson) is the film young folk should actually watch when old fogeys tell them to watch the princess bride. It’s a better example of a story being told and seen in the imagination of the person it’s being told to.

there’s a lovely mismatch between the story as told and what you see because the imaginer doesn’t completely understand everything they’re being told. So their vision of the story is more like a dream than a movie as you see visually invented solutions to the gaps in their understanding that add magic to the world they’re creating.

Cougar

The Enola Holmes films with Millie Bobby Brown are utterly brilliant.

Came here to say this.

benos

+1 for Cruella. It’s excellent.

Or Singin’ in the Rain for a classic. I watched it last week (for the 1st time) with my wife and 10yo daughter. The script is hilarious and the dancing is amazing.

gecko76

@maccruiskeen

Looks good, thanks.

binners

Obviously…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Edge of Tomorrow is within the last decade (just) and has a strong female lead.

thols2

The Enola Holmes films with Millie Bobby Brown are utterly brilliant. Or if you’d like a series, we loved Wednesday

Sample of 1, but these are excellent, as are most suggestions above. Whale Rider is a bit old now, but great movie. Reservation Dogs (TV series) hits a lot of the same themes.

leffeboy

Edge of Tomorrow is within the last decade (just) and has a strong female lead.

Not sure it is streaming any more though :(

eulach

I knew I could count on you. Thanks for all the recommendations.

I’m also a fan of the Princess Bride. I quite like Fantastic Mr. Fox but I have such strong visuals from the book that I don’t want to spoil it.

Stardust goes on the possibl list, Wednesday was good but tried to be too clever. The kids didn’t like Jaws because the shark dies at the end.

She’s a bit young for Mean Girls (I watched it on my own for the first time last month, it’s great). We’ve  watche the Enola Holmes films – the first was significantly better.

Bridge to Terabithia was a good film but horrible to watch.

The Fall looks interesting but I think that today’s winner is Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Thanks again people.

neila

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is an awesome film, good choice 👍

Bunnyhop

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is one of my favourite films.
    Bunnyhop a 12 year old girl in an old woman’s body :0)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.