• This topic has 76 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Epic.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • 900 lumen bike light for £50 anyone?
  • GrahamA
    Free Member

takisawa2 do you mean This one?

Does that come with a battery and charger or do you have to get them separately?

sq225917
    Free Member

I’ll stick with the Troutie tripple header..

aracer
    Free Member

the emitter is capable of it

Actually it’s probably not – and certainly not at the claimed input current. Maximum is 900lm at 2.8A, yet they’re only supposedly running these at 2.4A.

Northwind

Hmm, that reads like you’re disagreeing with me but if the maximum is 900lm then the emitter IS capable of it 😉 It’s just not going to be doing it in this light.

Lummox

Be interesting to see the beamshots for this

aracer
    Free Member

if the maximum is 900lm then the emitter IS capable of it

No, you’re misunderstanding the use of the word “maximum” (easily done with LED specs). 900lm is the maximum any LED of that type will do – the vast majority, possibly all of them won’t. I’d guess that a typical one would only manage 800.

CountZero

Who cares what the output really is. I have a P7 torch, and the amount of light it puts out is astonishing for a $38 torch. The P7 bike light is only £50. With batteries. And a charger. Plus it mounts with o-rings, just like a £600 Lupine. I bought one of the Airbike P7 lights from On-One, and my £20 P7 torch has a much better ‘throw’ than the Airbike, which was over £100! Also I had to then get a better clamp from Lumicycle. I really can’t see any issues with a light of this output for £50. C’mon people, this is a bargain by anyone’s standards.

Northwind

Countzero, only possible downside is if it suddenly goes out as you’re about to hit a big drop or a corner and you die :mrgreen: Oh, and the throw might be rubbish of course. I guess we’ll see once more people have them.

aracer: “No, you’re misunderstanding the use of the word “maximum” (easily done with LED specs). 900lm is the maximum any LED of that type will do – the vast majority, possibly all of them won’t. I’d guess that a typical one would only manage 800.”

I’m not misunderstanding at all, I’m not sure you read my post fully? I said “the emitter is capable of it but chances are you don’t actually get it. The SSC P7 torches have been put at 600-700 by people who know how to work this stuff out, which is still a lot of light.” The P7 emitter certainly is capable of it in theory, but that doesn’t mean it’s what you’ll get in this installation (for various reasons, not least the variation from one LED to another) TBH we actually seem to be agreeing.

trout
    Free Member

Count zero and Northwind have hit it on the head
    for £50 it is a super light .and the light manufacturers must be pretty pissed off , myself included
    you cant buy the bits for that money .

It could get more folks into night riding for the price of a meal and a few beers .
    the problems I see are it is not waterprof as the guy who dismantled one has stated , and it is not good thermally , but it should do the winter season then the board will corrode and next season probably not work . and we wont mention the green tint .
    but as they will have thousands of P7s to get rid of now some really cool leds are about to be released . Expect some very cheap deals coming out of china

I look forward to some reviews from the folks who have ordered them .

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not misunderstanding at all, I’m not sure you read my post fully? I said “the emitter is capable of it but chances are you don’t actually get it. The SSC P7 torches have been put at 600-700 by people who know how to work this stuff out, which is still a lot of light.” The P7 emitter certainly is capable of it in theory, but that doesn’t mean it’s what you’ll get in this installation (for various reasons, not least the variation from one LED to another)

Actually, you still are. 900lm is simply what they guarantee none of these LEDs will produce more than – I see no reason to expect that any of them are actually capable of that.

but as they will have thousands of P7s to get rid of now some really cool leds are about to be released .

As I asked before, what LED? If you’re talking about the XP-G, then I see no reason why that’s about to obsolete the P7.

Northwind

“Actually, you still are. 900lm is simply what they guarantee none of these LEDs will produce more than – I see no reason to expect that any of them are actually capable of that.”

And I’m not saying they will be either. Not much point in carrying this conversation on I think as you just don’t seem to be reading what I’ve written 😛

CountZero

I’m pretty sure most of the torches that riders have bought from DX and have been using perfectly happily aren’t waterproof, but some silicon grease around various threads and o-rings will keep moisture out, and anything other than total immersion is unlikely to cause damage. Why are people who are more than happy to shout about using a torch which you have to cobble together a mount for now bitching about a purpose-built light with all the bits you need, using the exact same emitter, that cost just double what one torch with no batteries and no charger costs. There’s no consistency here, DX lights are nowhere near the quality construction-wise of a Fenix, but plenty are prepared to sacrifice that quality for a product that does the same job for a fraction of the price, allowing a number of lights to be bought and used for both bar and head mounted lights. For almost two thirds the price of a Joystick you can buy two very bright lights, capable of allowing quality night riding for the majority of riders. Who actually gives a rat’s ass whether it gives out 700 rather than 900 Lm, when people are perfectly happy to use much more expensive lights with lower outputs? If Trout, who I give credit to as someone who really has a clue thinks it’s a bargain, then why should anyone else be sniffy about it? Christ, there have been countless threads about how good a ten quid torch from Tesco is!
    Accept it for the absolute bargain that it is, use it ’til it pegs out then buy the next bargain that comes along and use the money you save to buy beer and lighten up. (Pun intended).

saladdodger
    Free Member

hey lads lighten up a bit

My Picasso give 90 bhp yea right, it may well do on a perfect engine but not a mass produced engine with the production tolerance. Get my point

The Lupine tesla has a output of 700 lumin with the P7 emitter so that maybe 🙄 more accurate

I have done a Lux (not this lumin guessing bollucks) test of my P7 torch and it was alot read 2x the output of my Hid.

I will be ordering a £53 P7 unit from deal extreme fug all to loose

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Ive been out night riding with Takisawa2 and his dammed P7 – he can ride behind me and I can still see better with his light better than I can with Blackburn X6 and Hope Solo that I use…
    My P7 arrived this Saturday gone.. I must say that Deal Extreme is very good… order tracking etc.. no problems
    I ordered P7, 2 batteries, charger and mount for bike.. $58 dorrars or converted to just over £39 squid…

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

The charger I got takes the ordinary mains lead from a radio etc commomnly used on video player etc ? standard connector ? no need for adaptors… ive kept the lead taht came with it if I ever go abroad etc.

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Just got my light will see whats its like when its dark.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Looking forward to your findings…

takisawa2

Me too milkybar kid.
    And GrahamA, sorry mate missed your question…yes, that’s the one.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

So is it alloy or plastic?
    Looks like good value though 🙂

gamo
    Free Member

Got mine today as well, nice alloy body, 2 o-rings between the lense and lamp body, glass lense and seems well finished. My only complaint was the seal on
    the cable into the light body was not pushed in(was after a few minutes fiddling),
    had a look tonight and beam seems pretty impressive!

ackie
    Free Member

Could anyone who has one, post some beam pics please?
    I’ve ordered one and hust wanted to see if I wasted my cash or not!
    Ta

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Has this thread died?
    MBK & gamo have them, & have so far not said much, do I take it that your not impressed?

gamo
    Free Member

not used mine yet!
    i have had a really quick look in the garden and the beam
    seems good.

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

The-milkybar-kid got a set for sale on ebay!

trout
    Free Member

The-milkybar-kid got a set for sale on ebay

Why???????

60 quid posted !!!!!!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Anyone got one, and how good is it looking for an upgrade for my old cateye unit which is long overdue replacement

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Yep excellent light i got 2 so selling one its only on the bay for £60 to try & cover the fees,£50 posted to anyone on here.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Mailed you Milky.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m at a loss as to why The-milkybar-kid is selling a set at below cost, why not just order one set in the first place?
    Mine are on route, I ordered over a week ago when they didn’t have stock, but it got posted a few days ago.
    I guess I’ll have to wait & see.

Trout, if they are really badly put together, would you be willing to sort it as per MTBR for a reasonable fee?
    Cheers.

trout
    Free Member

2u2r
    Would love to disect one , was going to get one but will now wait for one to need improving .

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

If your genuinely interested, then I’ll send it straight to you, it’s not like I’ll need it anytime soon, there is nowt wrong with my Lumi set up 😉

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

I orderd 2 for the mayhem in 2 weeks i wanted 2 on the bars but 1 is plenty,its like the P7 torch i have but a wider beam,so i will have 1 on the bars & the torch on the lid spot on.

trout
    Free Member

2unfit2ride
    Yes my interest is genuine . and now I have decyphered your email
    will be in touch .

Milkybar kid
    any chance of a beam shot in the garden
    with a bike in for reference.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

trout if you get hold of one and are able to upgrade it let me know how and how much as i am looking at getting one and may like you to ‘fix’ it for me.

cheers mate

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Trout, I’ll send it as soon as I get it, just mail me your addy.

Cheers.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

In case your struggling with the likes of yahoo, its as per my profile @gmail.com, or googlemail.com if you prefer.
    Cheers.

Epic
    Free Member

Anyone got some beam pics to post please? Still waiting for mine to be delivered 🙄

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘900 lumen bike light for £50 anyone?’ is closed to new replies.