Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • £850 speeding ticket
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Surely if you updated to a EU photo card license in 1999, then the photo card part of your license became invalid in 2009 as the photo has to be updated every 10 years. That’s regardless of any issues about having a UK license whilst not residing in the UK which would probably be a matter for the DVLA rather than the Danish authorities.

So I would imagine that the fine is actually for an out of date photo card?

nealglover
    Free Member

Surely if you updated to a EU photo card license in 1999, then the photo card part of your license became invalid in 2009

That was mine, not the OP.

I updated mine in 2009 when it expired. I have no outstanding fines.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

So you broke the law and got caught – if you hadn’t been speeding then none of this would have been a problem – FWIW I got a speeding fine courtsey of Inverness Sherrif Court of £1500, some other daft **** got done for faster than me a few weeks later at the same place and only fined £800! Now that seems to be something ot rant about but I’m not!

Doh! 😳

Potdog
    Free Member

Surely if you updated to a EU photo card license in 1999, then the photo card part of your license became invalid in 2009
    That was mine, not the OP.

I updated mine in 2009 when it expired. I have no outstanding fines.

Doah!

Stoner
    Free Member

YOu want to get done in Switzerland:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10960230

Under Swiss law, the level of fine is determined by the wealth of the driver and the speed recorded. In January, a Swiss driver was fined $290,000 – the current world record.

A Swedish motorist caught driving at 290km/h (180mph) in Switzerland could be given a world-record speeding fine of SFr1.08m ($1m; £656,000), prosecutors say.

druidh
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills – Member
    So you broke the law and got caught

You could try reading the whole thread.

Edukator
    Free Member

I haven’t read the whole thread but you are right and they are wrong (except for the driving to fast bit). directive européenne 91/ 349 says you (an citizen of an EU member state) don’t have to change your licence anymore. Send them a copy of the directive and if they don’t drop all the fines except the speeding then make a complaint to Europe. France used to be one of the EU states that got fined the most for not respecting EU law, I wonder where Denmark scores.

v8ninety

I can’t stand holier than thou ****. Bet they were the goody two shoes ‘omm I’m telling miss’ types when they were at school. Bad luck OP, and good luck getting it reduced. seems very disproportionate, I’d be gutted too. That is all.

konabunny
    Free Member

Just like the British citizenship test, you really should learn the ways of the Danish if you want to live there.

They come over here, don’t learn about our laws, take our jobs, drive like arseholes and then… 😉

Northwind

oddjob – Member

Last summer I went to the local authority to renew my license and the photo card was running out and I was told that I should renew my UK license as it was easier.

Quoted for relevance and widescale ignoredness.

Marge
    Free Member

As a expat I had a similar experience but without the speeding issue 😉

If I understand your story correctly you renewed an expired British licence and did not change to a Danish licence at that time.

Here in Belgium you are entitled as an EU citizen to use any valid driving licence from within the EU, but if it expires then you must replace with a licence local to your official place of residence

kanza
    Free Member

It is really quite simple..

You get a written proof from the DVLA you have entitlement to a license and have passed the test in the UK.

You then use this to apply to swap to your current EU locality license, which you MUST do.

You then get a license in the country you reside in.

Be careful, this ain’t 1999 anymore Spain and most/many other countries Police and Traffic systems are now linked together. Taffico here in Spain can instantly pull up your car details (insurance, mot, tax) and full driving license details at the side of the road.

-K

kanza
    Free Member

Pay the fine, get it dealt with before it escalates even higher to the point your in serious troubles.

These things WILL come back to haunt you.

No knowing is no defense if your pulled into court, some countries may instantly impound the car your driving if stopped, so make sure its yours before dropping your s**t on another. Any insurance cover on expired or not registered licenses will be invalid, think about the 3rd party possible liabilities with that should you have accident that harms another person/property.

-K

ebygomm
    Free Member

Impressive, I dont think I have even ever seen a policeman in DK, not in the west anyway…

Me neither, never see any police unless we go across to Sjælland.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘£850 speeding ticket’ is closed to new replies.