Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • 8 year old made his own to skate park Mrs goes mental
  • bigad40
    Free Member

Phew, thanks for all the replies.
    I did worry about him while he was away but he’s really risk averse and wouldn’t do anything silly, unlike his little brother whose already tried setting fire to his room.
    I didn’t think he’d do it but I was proud of him he did.
    The Skate park is really close, about half a mile and there’s no big roads to cross.
    It is next to a traveller site, which I don’t mind because the kids have always encouraged the others to have a go at some trick, their language is awful but so is mine!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Not read any of the above but 8 is too young imho to be out solo. We do live on a busy road and it still concerns me to this day. Kids are now 12 and 15.

Cougar

she really is concerned what the other Mum’s would say

I don’t know what the other mums would say, but I know with cast-iron certainty what my reply would be if they did.

Seriously, why is this an issue? WGAF what anyone else thinks, they’re your kids and your responsibility to do what’s best for them. The coven can wind their bloody necks in.

Cougar

As for the right age to let them go out alone, I’d have no idea. I’d posit though that age isn’t an absolute, you might have a particularly sensible and mature 7 year old or a completely batshit 10 year old. I’d perhaps think the right age is “when you think they can be trusted.”*

(* – which will be about 28.)

twistedpencil

We’re letting the oldest one slowly spread his wings at 8, problem is other friends his age don’t seem to have the same opportunities to do this.

Some of their parents are seriously overprotective, stressing about their kids in supervised activities.

Most recent, taster session for free running lessons that were great, but some of the lads are not going back because it looks too dangerous. It was like a gym class with a foam pit to jump into, sigh.

sandboy

I totally agree Cougar but the wife is insistent! She’s a Headteacher and is constantly risk assessing everything. It’s a real shame as we live in a quiet country village where they are as safe as anywhere to have a little independence. I’ll never win the argument but try to find opportunities where they have to make decisions for themselves.

explosifpete
    Free Member

Things have changed and it’s a real shame. I was out roaming at 8 and we didn’t have mobile phones in case we got in to trouble. I think it’s sad that people just stay in doors and play on computers, my Mrs. Took out eldest to a couple of the neighbors houses when we moved in as she noticed they alsohad boys close in age to ours, they didn’t want to know 🙁

Cougar

Show Sandgirl this thread?

Cougar

Things have changed and it’s a real shame.

Parents’ attitudes have changed, not “things.”

Cougar

I’m suddenly reminded of this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zopCDSK69gs[/video]

MrPottatoHead

Age aside, if it was the first time they’d ever been allowed to venture away from home alone, I’d have probably checked with my wife first and made it a joint decision.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is the drop in pedestrian deaths on http://makingthelink.net/child-deaths-road-traffic-accidents – due to less children walking to school?

Well all you have to do is see how many thousands of kids were killed on the way to school in the past and see if its higher or lower than the reduction

I will posit – without researching – that its much much lower than the reduction

I have to say the most dangerous place i walk or cycle is the 50 metre radius of any school which suggests that the the number of car users exacerbates risk not the number of pedestrians.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Roads might be getting safer but it’s from a very high starting point

2412 kids killed or seriously injured in 2011 , this is scandalous and way too high

I won’t let my 8 year old out on his own unless I am confident he takes road safety seriously

welshfarmer

Used to cycle 6 miles each way to my grans and back on narrow country roads from about the age of 7 (early 70s). Did my first hitch-hike home aged 10, and at 11 was stuck on a train in Abergavenny and met in London the other end with one change in between at Newport. Before I was old enough to drive I would happily hitch hike the length and breath of the country including Scottish highlands to South Wales aged 16 after a climbing trip.

Having no kids of my own though I have no idea what I would be like as a parent myself 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Crime is down, road accidents are down, pedos are down…. what’s the issue?

Maybe these things are down because of the restrictions parents place?

stuey
    Free Member

JY -“that its much much lower than the reduction” ? I can’t get/understand your wording (sorry)
    “I have to say the most dangerous place i walk or cycle is the 50 metre radius of any school which suggests that the the number of car users exacerbates risk not the number of pedestrians.” – This I totally agree with as they double park all over the yellow zigzags at our primary school.

– On an aside – I drive mine to school because the nearest schools got ‘trashed’ by a bad academy chain. 🙁
    – But I do drop them at the other end of the village so they have to walk 😉

brooess
    Free Member

Our misperception of risk is, funnily enough, killing us. e.g. by driving everywhere instead of cycling or walking from fear of getting hit by a car we’re dying of fatness instead.
    I’m tired of getting talked to like I’m exceptional for cycling to work through winter because ‘it might be icy’ – it’s scary how deeply ingrained our poor risk perception has become.
    There was a case in SE London about 5 years ago where the parents had to fight the council not to report them for letting their kids cycle to school… 😯

Best way to keep kids safe is for them to be exposed gradually and sensibly to risk, to ensure they build their own risk-perception capabilities and their own confidence they can deal with risky situations with their own resources…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My 8 yo daughter can make her own way to and from school, the Co-op or the local pool, all within 200m of home. We only do this as she’s sensible and we trust her. My son started getting the bus to his diving lessons when he was 9. We took him in the first few times and got him a cheap phone then left him to get on with it. Its about a 30 min journey. Now he’s 13 we are happy for him to go into Edinburgh on his own during the holidays.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Far too many vehicles on our roads. Any scrap of greenbelt where previous generations enjoyed now built on. No youth clubs for the young to escape to. Electronics completely hoovering young minds which in turn drains any urge to allow the imagination or child to roam. The list just grows and it’s stifling parents judgements. Its helpless for todays generation.

Sometimes you’ve just got to let your kids go. They need the adventure and you need that healthy worry in order to allow them to develop and grow.

Drac

What do you mean no clubs?

My youngest on a Monday has brownies, Tuesday Harriers, Thursday cricket and Friday swimming. She has electronic devices too but so did I over 30 years ago. They have been proven to help increase imagination.

matt_outandabout

My kids have walked ahead at first.

By 6/7 they walked to school about 1km away in quiet Highland village by themselves.
    By 8/9 they walked a couple of km across Dunblane by themselves. Same age they would go to park, about 1km away.
    At 12 they went on short, easy bike rides.
    By 13 they went to bigger and more difficult rides with mates.
    By 14 they have done overnight camps in hills with mates, and traveled alone half the length of Britain by train to visit grandparents.
    By 16 they will be going on day to college.
    By 17 they drive.
    By 18 I expect them living independently.

Progression is important here. Next door to us tell a hilarious story of thier 16 year old who didn’t know how to catch a bus, fund his way round a bus station or be away from mum for a day without multiple phone calls.

She’s a Headteacher and is constantly risk assessing everything.

I suspect she is used to covering her arse and overly concerned parents saying that Tarquin cannot get muddy or go out in the cold, and a local authority who do not back her up.

Children have to experience managed risk to prepare them for life, both in practical skills of risk assessing and the mental well-being of coping with risks and fear.

A colleague speaks about the day her 15 year old daughter, having barely been out of parents view, was suddenly off to first proper party, and did she have the risk management skills to avoid the many (now life altering) risks she faced? The daughter had never been able to demonstrate to mum the most simple skills of managing risks, as she hasn’t had chance…

globalti
    Free Member

Funnily enough in north Manchester you see plenty of orthodox Jewish boys cycling to school. I wonder why their parents don’t over-protect them?

Tiger6791

It’s paedogeddon these days though innit!

Sadly, most people live in fear due to the media, although I imagine the world is a much safer place for a lone child now, compared to what it was in the years gone by.

There’s a lot out there though and they seem to be hidden

We were given a Pedo Meter by a friend, so I gave it to the little one to wear by the time we had walked to school it had counted over 3400 pedos. Didn’t see a single one, well hidden !! Stay safe

jambalaya
    Free Member

8 seems pretty young to me, depends where you live in some respects. I am not all together surprised the Mrs went nuts.

theotherjonv

I don’t particularly worry about ‘stranger danger’; the schools cover it and tbh, with 2 daughters if they were ever going to be subject to abduction, etc., that won’t go away even with age (I perceive a young female is just as likely to be abducted / assaulted as a child), so unless I don’t let them out alone even as adults I’ll never lose that fear.

For me the worry is roads and traffic, and that depends on your kids. We live on a busy rat run road but we let them walk to school now – youngest is now 10 and has a couple of side roads to cross and then the main one is lollipop ladied. Eldest goes to her school about 1.5 mi away – first bit the same and then meets friends after about half a mile.

We let them walk together to the local shops, mainly because the chances of them both **** up a road crossing at the same time is lower than one of them. It’s not that they don’t know how to cross roads, just that occasionally attention wavers. eg: Youngest has just run her bath, forgotten it and now we have no hot water left in the cylinder as most of it went down the overflow.

CountZero

Not read any of the above but 8 is too young imho to be out solo. We do live on a busy road and it still concerns me to this day. Kids are now 12 and 15.

Jeezus! At eight/nine I was walking to school roughly half a mile or so away, this was in the winter of ’63 when there was thick snow on the ground, I was off playing in the woods and fields all around the town, probably a couple of miles in all directions, my mum was looking after my baby brother born in January of ’63, and my dad was at work, so I was expected to be able to cope on my own, I had nobody to hold my hand, wipe my nose and wipe my ass for me!
    I was catching a bus out to my aunties house, around ten miles away in the countryside during that winter on my own as well, because that was the only way I could get out there, my dad had a motorcycle, we had no car, like the majority of my friends at school.
    I honestly despair that people are so bloody risk-averse that they’re bringing up an entire generation of weedy, whining little snowflakes who are afraid of their own sodding shadows, and pathologically incapable of doing anything themselves without having a ‘grown-up’, and I use that term reservedly, to be near at hand in case they scrape a knee and need to have someone wipe their tears away, and call a solicitor to start the litigation process.
    Pathetic, absolutely pathetic. 👿

shermer75
    Free Member

Used to walk to school from about 5/6, which was half a mile away. Seems mental now I think about it!

molgrips
    Free Member

I had nobody to hold my hand, wipe my nose and wipe my ass for me!

Yeah but I am fairly sure more kids got killed in those days.

rob2
    Free Member

I’m not sure some of the points here are pathetic. If hardly anyone had cars in 1963 as mentioned that is very very different to now. And the speed of cars was different then and roads have many more parked cars on them now. For me the only issue is on crossing or riding on fast roads these days. If some of the posts on here about near misses or idiot drivers are when an adult is involved I darent think how a young child would deal with the situation.

Mine play in rivers, climb trees and all sorts but I think road safety is a different kettle of fish from when I was young.

greentricky
    Free Member

Mine started going places like the park out of sight of the house at eight in the town.then moved to a village with a busy road I’m not keen on but she does nearly a mile to school on her own and to guides. She is allowed to play out side and visit the park but rarely does as none of her friends are without supervision. Judging by them skypeing and instagramming at all hours of the night and posting selfies trying to look much older than they are, they are unsupervised in thier safe family home….

mogrim

Seriously, why is this an issue? WGAF what anyone else thinks, they’re your kids and your responsibility to do what’s best for them. The coven can wind their bloody necks in.

Except if your wife gets into a fight with the other mothers this can end up with your kids not being invited to parties etc., it’s not that easy.

OP: my kids would head down to the shop at the end of the estate (about a 10min walk) for bread/newspaper from about 8 or so. All quiet, residential roads though.

brooess
    Free Member

Children have to experience managed risk to prepare them for life, both in practical skills of risk assessing and the mental well-being of coping with risks and fear.

As a society we’ve already lost that IMO – look at the financial crisis, which apparently no-one saw coming, and look at how well we’ve learnt the lesson of excessive debt since… it’s got worse, not better. We’ve had the risks of our own mistakes hidden from us and so, we’ve learnt nothing.

And the increase in mental health issues, particularly amongst the young, whilst it may be increased diagnosis rather than occurrence, strikes me as people struggling to deal with the realities of life. Brexit too, IMO, was people struggling to deal with the harsh reality that we’re not as rich as we thought we were – hence tantrum and emotion instead of stoic acceptance and holding it together to rebuild and strengthen ourselves

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn had to wait till she was 9 to go on the tube from Kent into London with her 9 yr old friend. She went down to the shops across the main road from 6.
    Born in 1955 if that makes a difference.
    They still had strange men you should keep away from even then.
    I should know.

mudshark
    Free Member

My bro was 10 when he had to get the bus from his London school to the train station and then train back home where he rang Mum from a phone box. I’m surprised my parents were happy with that really but no option I suppose.

Northwind

Ewan – Member

I don’t get this. Everything is much safer than when I was a kid in the 80s

Yeah but when it does go wrong it gets reported.

wiggles
    Free Member

I cant be the only one that read the title as “8 year old makes his own skatepark and mrs goes mental”

I had visions of ramps made out of cut up wardrobes or something.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

I cant be the only one that read the title as “8 year old makes his own skatepark and mrs goes mental”

No you are not I read that as well 😀 😀

Age old argument at our place as well. Wife wants our daughter to take the bus to school from next year age 10. I was thinking more on the lines of the fact that the buses are the least reliable around here didn’t even consider the other stuff.

doris5000

Jeezus! At eight/nine I was walking to school roughly half a mile or so away, this was in the winter of ’63 when there was thick snow on the ground,

Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at six o’clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

9yr old daughter and 14yr old son here.

We actually purchased our house based a lot on its location. It has a big green area to the front on a newish housing estate. Over the past 15yrs our kids have been able to grow up playing out there with their friends with the feeling they had independence (Often I would be sat on the doorstep reading or their mum would be watching from the upper windows)

When they got to the 8yr old time we did have to deal with difficult questions like going to the near park (No roads and about 250mtrs) OK. or to the far park, 1 road, 500mtrs (Only with friends).

I must admit my son has taken my daughter for bike rides to local villages about 2-3mls away on A roads and we have worried but they are both very sensible. My daughter also now goes around the estate by herself (Scooter and bike) and walks to the school bus herself (500mtrs). I do worry sometimes but I really don’t want them to miss out on having a childhood rather than a prison sentence which is what I think it would feel like if I had to be there every minute of the day.

daviek

I too read it like that wiggles

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘8 year old made his own to skate park Mrs goes mental’ is closed to new replies.