Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 7 Stanes – Any Restrictions
  • gst
    Free Member

Hello
    Off to Scotland this weekend for 4 days biking. Can't wait.
    Not decided what to do yet but it will be any 4 from Glentress, Ae, Mabie, Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree.
    Does anyone know of any restrictions we should know about before we go.
    Went to Ae earlier in the year and was restrited to mostly fire road due to forest work.
    Aany info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Trekster

More local info can be had by contacting shops @ Mabie, Ae, Kirry and GT via the above link.
    There is some remedial work taking place at Dalbeattie but not sure about impact on use.

Ae, Dalbeattie, Mabie and Kirry are(were)free of any restrictions 2wks ago on a weekend. Mid week may be different

Trekster

If you were staying here; http://www.thebreakpad.com/

Then Kirry is 3/4hr away. Mabie and Dalbeattie about 1/2hr. Ae 3/4hr. Drumlanrig, 1hr.

GT is 2.1/2hr from Kirry, 1.1/2 from Dumfries.

To do 4 days with the least amount of driving stay in Dumfries area.

Could maybe do Mon at Mabie if you fancy some local stuff?

sheldona
    Free Member

There's 8 of us heading up Sat for a week 😉

John, I'll give you a bell when we get up there and work out whats what, fancy some local stuff along with non trail center riding if you're about?

danti

If you like more fire road climbing than decent singletrack descending then go to Mabie & Dalbeattie, Dalbeattie's got the Qualifier and Slab which you could do if you're ballsy riders but not much else.

If you want more technical (challenging) riding then go to Kirroughtree, its superb and as good if not better than Glentress, all IMHO of course.

Maybe worth trying Glentrool as you're so near.

No restrictions at Kirroughtree/Glentress a couple of weeks ago.

gst
    Free Member

Thanks to you both for the info.

We're staying just south of Dumfries not far from Kipford we've been there before.
    You're right Glentress is a bit of a trek. We didn't do it last time because of the drive but it's our favourite. We'll play it by ear!
    With few restrictions we'll probably stay local though.
    Thanks again

Trekster

John, I'll give you a bell when we get up there and work out whats what, fancy some local stuff along with non trail center riding if you're about?

I am off from Sunday all week 😆
    Where you staying?
    How long a natural ride? My Durisdeer one is around 4hrs, includes a bit of hiking tho ❗

Can do a cracker from Moffat over to Eskdalemuir and back utillising Southern Upland Way and coffee/lunch here;
    http://www.samyeling.org/

An epic around Dalbeattie is also an alternative.

If you want more technical (challenging) riding then go to Kirroughtree, its superb and as good if not better than Glentress, all IMHO of course.

Maybe worth trying Glentrool as you're so near.

No restrictions at Kirroughtree/Glentress a couple of weeks ago.

Kirry is way better than GT(ie black route)

Glentrool is mostly forest road, at least the long one is. Only do it if you want to tick a box. Very good if you enjoy taking in the wilderness veiws. Do not attempt if wet`n windy 😥

Lots of people find Dalbeattie tough, all depends on your fitness/experience.

Mabie is lots of short climbs and descents 😆

sheldona
    Free Member

We're staying in Newton Stewart, theres a mixed ability bunch so a 4hr ride could turn into a 5 or 6. We should be fine with 5ish hours though. I'll have a chat with the others and give you a bell one evening, prob Sun 🙂

a11y

http://www.airmaiden.co.uk/1.html – the freeride park at Glentress is closed all weekend because of that event, it's the only bit affected though so the rest of the trails should be open as normal.

I'm at the southern 7 stanes for 4 days this weekend too, staying near Dunscore/Thornhill. Our pan is Drumlanrig Fri morning, Kirroughtree Saturday, Dalbeattie/Mabie Sunday, not sure about Monday. 8 of us but only 6 riding.

Drumlanrig and Kirroughtree are unmissible IMO. Drumlanrig is rooty as hell but I love it (although I'm riding it alone as everyone else is still working and they all hate it anyway…), but Kirroughtree is a favourite with us all. Good for differing ability groups too, folk can ride the red together then the fitter ones head onto the black, and even then folk can miss out the heartbreak hill section although it really is the best part…

Trekster

Cheers atf

Might I suggest BIG day around Mabie and a BIG day around Dalbeattie if that would suit everyone otherwise travelling to Thornhill or Moffat is going to be a bit of a drag. Both will include eu naturale 😉

Don`t know any decent natural stuff that far west, tends to be a bit boggy

gst
    Free Member

A few votes on here for Kirroughtree so we'll definitely be doing that. Not done it yet.
    Looks like we'll be doing Dalbeattie fri, Mabie sat as they're very close. Probably Kirroughtree on the sun. Take a vote for the monday.

sheldona
    Free Member

Kirriughtree is my favorite! I can see us doing the Black on Sunday!

sherry
    Free Member

If your going to GT then why not add Innerleithen? You could do both in a day no probs. Dalbeattie, Kirroughtree, Drumlangrig and Mabie are all worth a visit. Ae is a bit of a slog and not very flowing IMO, although the descents are very good with option of some DH.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

As sherry says, if your going to GT you must do Inners. IMO the best red in the 7 stanes…. Personnelly I would do GT, Inners (twice at least), Mabie red (leave the darkside its way harder than it looks on youtube) and another. Not done AE for a while but a lot of people on here say its gone down hill (no pun intended) in the last few years, shame cos I loved it when I did it. Kirroughtree is very good in places, but I find it a bit too much fire road for me (and a bit of a slog). Dalbeattie is a nice ride, not as much height but uses what it has well (and there is the slab). Drumlangrig isn't a 7 ride but gets a lot of good shouts from people who've done it, we were told to aviod it if wet as there is a lot of roots and unfortunatly it rained the day we were ment to do it so I can't comment.

Have fun

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

There is some interesting riding to be had at glen trool but not on the 7 stanes track if you park at the car park at visitor center and are prepared to ride foot paths you can create a great ride around the loch using trails the southern upland way all sorts of stuff the os map shows all the foot path so just make it up as you go along it is mostly all very ridable just one or two tricky slippy wooden step sections so watch out in the wet.

Trekster

fotherington..we must arrange that some day. Stewart has my mail addy

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Will do trekster as I am out with Stewart the morns night

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘7 Stanes – Any Restrictions’ is closed to new replies.