Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 7 speed cassette on a 9 speed ?
  • mrvear
    Free Member

Want to put a 7 speed cassette on a 9 speed wheel. Was planning on buying a single speed conversion kit, one with lots of spacers and using these. Would this be a good way to go?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hope do a spacer for £3 odd IIRC.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

why?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Single spacer would be a cheaper idea. Wheels Manufacturing do one for £2.49

mrvear
    Free Member

Thank you, shall check the single spacers out. As for why I think that would be obvious?

Olly
    Free Member

yup, you just need a spacer.

7 speed for the win!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

A half retro bike?
    You want to keep your 7 speed shifters but don't want to take advantage of a stronger 7 speed wheel?

cynic-al
    Free Member

7 speed wheels are barely any stronger.

upgrading a 7s transmission to 9s costs £££, as do replacement transmissions.

DUH.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

bling cost £££
    sensible costs ££

mrvear
    Free Member

Half retro? I am simply building up a singular peregrine frame. Money is tight so looking at buying a pair of on-one 29er wheels which I see as a chaper option than a 7 speed disc compatible 29er wheel. Will be using my 7 speed deore thumbies and 7 speed xt mech. I may or may not upgrade to 9 speed kit in the future but for what I want the old 7 speed kit will do nicely. It has worked with out any problems for the last 10+ years and I believe there is plenty of life left in them. There will be nothing Bling about this bike.

swamp_boy

I had the same dilemma, sawed through the pins holding the old cassette together and used one of the plastic spacers from between the cogs behind the new cassette. Works a treat.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I am simply building up a singular peregrine frame. Money is tight

these two statements do not match up

There will be nothing Bling about this bike.

except a frame that costs more than most bikes

mrvear
    Free Member

ballsofcottonwool, tell me how much a singular peregrine fame costs please as it looks like I have been looking at the wrong price. As far as I can tell they retail for £540 which is why money is tight for the build kit. I expect that this is not more than most bikes, in fact it is less than most suspension forks. Right then, a road frame that will take 2 inch tyres, has braze ons for panniers, full mudguards and three bottle cages. Drop bars and kitted out with the chain set of an very old marin pine mountain. Not really bling, is it.

mrvear
    Free Member

Double checked the price. £540, about a grand less than a Turner 5 spot frame.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

By "Deore Thumbies" are you talking about the xt or DX thumbshifters? If so then are you aware that they have an extra click? You can run them 8 speed fine.

mrvear
    Free Member

Just deore. they look just like the xt ones but have silver tops instead of gold and just say shimano deore light action sis 7 s on them. If there is an extra click in them I can't find it. Could turn the index off which may work on 8 but not really bothered about the 3 extra gears.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You can run them 8 speed fine.

I've heard this said but never seen it work well.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Odd. I always thought that those two were actually mechanically the same, but the XT just had different labels and an ally clamp rather than a steel one.
    Anyway.. If they shift past 7 then they will work. The extra gear doesn't have as distinct a click as the others, but friction holds it fine. The mech will work fine too.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I've heard this said but never seen it work well.

I've had it running fine!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘7 speed cassette on a 9 speed ?’ is closed to new replies.