Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)
  • 650b that is all.
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I rode 26 for many years. I switched to 29, liked it. I switched back to 26, didn’t like it. Now I’m sticking to 29. I’m tall, always felt that 26 was a bit small, then 29 came out…
    I’m getting old, but bikes are getting lighter and stronger. 29 is almost as light as 26 was 15 years ago. 29 helps me to roll over square edged bumps a lot better. So although I’m getting older, I can ride the same trails with less effort. Offsets the age thing.
    I used to ride a Yeti 575 with very wide tyres. I now ride a fully rigid 29er with very wide tyres. I can almost ride anything with the rig 29er that I used to with the 575. My next bike will be a SB95. 29er and FS? Awesome!

Northwind

wobbliscott – Member

Soon all MTB races will be won on either 650b or 29″ as that will be all the bike manufacturers will provide.

Soon? At this point there’s no proper DH forks or tyres for 650B, and I think one half-proven frame.

pussywillow
    Free Member

All depends on what riding you do dunnit! The trouble is, is that majority of so called mountain bikers don’t ride mega technical or steep as muck terrain! It’s these trail centre type people who get aroused by silly new ideas like the 29er, they fall for the bs talk that the mags have been paid to put out, mountain bikes have always been 26, why do it now??
    Nothing more for them in terms of suspension or brakes, we’ve come to a plateau so the only thing for them is wheel size, the 29er may well roll better, but it’s no way suited to the kinda riding I do! I need Sumat small, chuck able and be able to get my wheels off the ground quickly if needs be, not have to worry about big clumsy wheels underneath me!!,
    I do a bit of bmx’ing too, and I notice how the bmx attitude is so much more grounded compared to the majority of mountain bikers, they all have 20″ wheels cos they know they work better! its simple really, theres no change, a few tweeks at the most over decades!! Why change something that works?? And that’s the trouble with mountain biking, just when you think they have everything spot on, suspension, brakes, geometry, they go and **** it all up by drastically changing wheel size!!! And trying to phase the 26 out but I honestly think it’s gonna change what mountain biking is and it won’t be for the better.
    I think the company’s that try keeping the 26r going will hopefully gain from the greed of others trying to coin in from trying to phase it out.
    Oh yeah the 650b errrrm **** it, I can’t be arsed anymore! 😐

ahwiles
    Free Member

need a hug?

…I notice how the bmx attitude is so much more grounded compared to the majority of mountain bikers, they all have 20″ wheels cos they know they work better!…

my bmx has 24″ wheels, i tried 20’s but found them too twitchy.

apparently, this one’s got 26″ wheels (blimey):

different wheels are different, choice is good.

(and that 26″ bmx looks ace!)

personally, i don’t see the point in 650b, as the difference i’ve noticed between the ‘feel’ of 26″ and 29″ is only subtle* – splitting the small difference seems a bit silly, but that’s just me, if you want one – great. if you don’t – good for you.

(*it’s like i’ve done something clever with my tyre pressure)

mangatank
    Free Member

Re:Pussywillow

Well said sir!

pussywillow
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    need a hug?
    …I notice how the bmx attitude is so much more grounded compared to the majority of mountain bikers, they all have 20″ wheels cos they know they work better!…
    my bmx has 24″ wheels, i tried 20’s but found them too twitchy.
    apparently, this one’s got 26″ wheels (blimey):

I knew someone would be along shortly! 🙄

You go to any bmx park and chances are everyone will be riding a 20″…cos they know what works best..
    You are the minority that has been brainwashed! 😆

hambl90
    Free Member

Pussywillow is just about spot on , anyone who thinks 26″ is dead are just kidding themselves.

BearBack
    Free Member

Soon? At this point there’s no proper DH forks or tyres for 650B, and I think one half-proven frame.

2014 fox 40 RAD will be 650b compatible.. That will open the floodgates further for testing and resulting rim and tire options from manufacturers.
    Scott had a 650b gambler race at the worlds and khs had a 650b bike at rampage.. No one died 😉

Northwind

BearBack – Member

Scott had a 650b gambler race at the worlds and khs had a 650b bike at rampage.. No one died

3rd place in fact at the Rampage- but on Dorados and Vee Rubber, I don’t see many riders being keen to turn up at the world cup with a kit list like that. I see Lewis Buchanan’s racing a 650B Intense next year, though, Intense have been itching to do some wacky wheel stuff, maybe Lew will remember how to go fast.

I think the Scott was just the standard Gambler with 650B squeezed into it? Gambler has tons of rear axle adjustment and some smaller tyres fit into the current 40. Handmade Schwalbes, so could have been built with height in mind to fit? He did bloody well on it though, way out of contention but then it was a good field.

Buuut, Scott did have 2 riders on 650B at the worlds, they just don’t like to talk about the other one because he ripped the tyre off the wheel near the top 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

pussywillow – Member

You are the minority that has been brainwashed!

i’m in a minority? you mean i’m special? 🙂

if it’s only a minority that have been brainwashed, and the majority are free-thinkers, then that’s a good thing, right?

BearBack
    Free Member

That other rider was the team manager…Didn’t he still finish 😉

Northwind

Yeah, he is a total badass regardless of wheel size :mrgreen: Just had a look at the results, he still beat Rachel Atherton, would have been 5th in the womens’.

pussywillow
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    pussywillow – Member
    You are the minority that has been brainwashed!
    i’m in a minority? you mean i’m special?
    if it’s only a minority that have been brainwashed, and the majority are free-thinkers, then that’s a good thing, right?
    POSTED 12 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

You are the minority in the bmx world as they don’t buy into the bs as much as a typical stw cliché loving mtber. Over and out.

bikeind
    Free Member

its all going 650b like it or not that is how its going!

asterix
    Free Member

well as an industry stooge you would say that

jameso

You go to any bmx park and chances are everyone will be riding a 20″…cos they know what works best..

..for the smooth surfaces and strength needs that covers pretty much all of BMX, fair enough. MTB terrain is more variable.

When you said smaller wheels for steeper trails, a bigger wheel puts your weight in a better position on steep trails – higher axles / more BB drop. More roll-over ability and lower bb relative to axles = less stall on very techy, chunky steep trails ime. Anyway, that’s not saying it’s ‘better’, just there’s advantages to most things even in unexpected places.

ojom
    Free Member

Could one of the wizards on this thread look into the more immediate future and tell me the lottery numbers tonight please?

Seeing as your crystal balls are so finely tuned.

singlespeedstu

Seeing as your crystal balls are so finely tuned.

That can be attained by anyone that stops in polishing said balls for long enough.

pussywillow
    Free Member

jameso – Member
    ..for the smooth surfaces and strength needs that covers pretty much all of BMX, fair enough. MTB terrain is more variable.
    When you said smaller wheels for steeper trails, a bigger wheel puts your weight in a better position on steep trails – higher axles / more BB drop. More roll-over ability and lower bb relative to axles = less stall on very techy, chunky steep trails ime. Anyway, that’s not saying it’s ‘better’, just there’s advantages to most things even in unexpected places.
    POSTED 47 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I don’t want to feel like I’m on top of a penny farthing when I’m riding down my steep tight techy lines. It’s not gonna feel as clumsy on a smaller wheel bike and why only now after 25 years of mountain biking have they only just realised that bigger wheels are mysteriously better!!? I mean it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realise that bigger wheels covers more ground better! It would be the first thing on a bike to get right..I’m not saying there’s not a place for a 29er and obviously a lot on here love them but to me there kinda riding will be a lot different to mine, what’s annoying is when the industry is telling me that a 29er is overall a better bike! That is all.

aracer
    Free Member

its all going 650b like it or not that is how its going!

Do you think if you repeat it often enough it might come true?

singlespeedstu

I don’t want to feel like I’m on top of a penny farthing

Keep riding the bikes you have then and stay where you are.

No one’s forcing you to do anything you don’t want to.

EDIT.

Can’t believe I’ve answered to a troll account. 🙄 @ me.

jameso

25 years of mountain biking have they only just realised that bigger wheels are mysteriously better!!?

Nope – look up Geoff Apps and some MTB history.

EDIT – me too.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I have never ridden a 29er or a 650b bike but I can see that you should be the same height above the ground as a 26″ wheeled bike. The bigger wheels will make you feel more inside the bike.

pussywillow
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    I don’t want to feel like I’m on top of a penny farthing
    Keep riding the bikes you have then and stay where you are.
    No one’s forcing you to do anything you don’t want to.
    EDIT.
    Can’t believe I’ve answered to a troll account. @ me.
    POSTED 54 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Who says I’m trolling?? You stick with yer own fancy niche bikes but when the industry is trying to force clown bikes on us who ride properly then I’m not a happy chap! And when i say force, that is really what they’re doing as they’re phasing the 26 out for the sake of the choco boys that cant ride for shit feel like its making them faster! If you think I’m a troll or don’t like my opinion then don’t reply to my posts!! Simple really.

singlespeedstu

Of course they are dear.

All those “choco boys” are trying to turn you aren’t they.

Got to have a look though ain’t you…

Edit.

Damn fallen for the homophobe racist troll again. 😆

pussywillow
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    Of course they are dear.
    All those “choco boys” are trying to turn you aren’t they.
    Got to have a look though ain’t you…
    Edit.
    Damn fallen for the homophobe racist troll again.
    POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

No not one racist remark there.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You stick with yer own fancy niche bikes but when the industry is trying to force clown bikes on us who ride properly then I’m not a happy chap!

Aw treacle have you had too much monster energy the freeride boys are forcing you to drink.

singlespeedstu

TBF you’re speaking so much shite it’s hard to tell what you actualy mean.

Why not stick to posting a few more pisstake vids they were funny…

pussywillow
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member
    TBF you’re speaking so much shite it’s hard to tell what you actualy mean.

Why not stick to posting a few more pisstake vids they were funny…

POSTED 57 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😆

I have a feeling the single speed boys are upset!
    😆

mangatank
    Free Member

I have this great road bike. I was blasting along on it last week and I thought, ‘what an absolutely superb bike. So supple ans efficient, and so poised.’

Today I was flying over very terrain type imaginable on my Ti 456 (26er)’ and I thought, ‘what a truelly brilliant, agile, tactile bike. It’s a joy to ride.’

Somehow though, I appear to be completely wrong. The industry has realised that all the intense bike evolution of the last 20 years has been misguided and that every review that celebrates brilliant mtb design is fundamentally flawed. Those great Souls and Yetis have been deemed to be somehow so deficient that the fundamentals of their design is to be thrown out and a fresh round of development and evolution is to begin. For years from now on now, we’ll have magazines breathlessly trumpeting the increasing stiffness of 29er forks or the gradual lightening and strengthening of 29er wheels.

It’s…so completely depressing. So obviously a manipulation of the consumer. I read a thread like this and I just see the sport demeaned.

JCL
    Free Member

650b or 27.1 = a little over half an inch between axle to ground over 26″. Totally pointless but make no mistake the industry don’t think they’re selling enough bikes so they’re coming like it or not.

29″ are faster than 26″, that’s obvious to anyone who can push a 26″ to the point that it’s trying to kill you. The people who don’t find them “exciting” suck ass and just aren’t riding them quick enough. Guess what? DH bikes feel pretty boring punting about at XC speeds.

Ideally 26″ should have stayed for 160mm plus and cheap bikes and 29″ should have been everywhere else. Now we’re going to haveba total mess.

stevious

Not going to read any of the nonsense on this thread, but I will say that 650b is in my top five wheel sizes.

asterix
    Free Member

You are really not helping the bike industry here. Just causing customers to get pi55ed with the manufacturers for forcing the ‘new’ marketing wheel-sizes on them and making them argue too. If your that insecure in your ability to sell enough in a recession you might be better not to reveal it

singlespeedstu

Yes pussy.

I was so upset i cried myself to sleep over the size of a wheel…

zippykona

I feel that most bikes these days are boring. We’ve got to the motorbike sports bike situation where they all look the same and all go the same.
    Take the stickers off 5″ trail bike and I couldn’t really tell you who made it.
    So when something different comes along I likes it. I certainly won’t buy a 650b or a fat bike but if I saw one I would want to know all about it.
    Personally I’m looking forward to the next new thing.

slackalice
    Free Member

What does it matter? It seems to me as though some people are taking this issue of wheel size way too personally. In a way that says if I go out and buy a new bike that has 27.5″ wheels rather than 29″ or 26″, I am wrong, I have made a mistake. So?! It’s my choice, my money, my ride. My world come to that. I’ll make the final conclusion thanks. There are no right’s or wrong’s, just personal preference.

What I personally object to is the industry media telling me what I need to ride. I have the power of free will and I shall choose to spend my hard earned on whatever wheel size I want to and do not care a jot what anyone else thinks/feels or says about my choice. So long as I enjoy the ‘feel’ of my bike for the type of riding I enjoy, I will own whatever wheel size I want to, based upon my own research.

Don’t get the begrudging of folks in the bike industry who want to offer choice, but each to their own.

Incedentally, ten years ago, when I was doing a lot of riding in western Canada, many riders there were running 26 front and 24 rear, mainly because of the steep terrain I guess.

Ride what you have, go with your own personal choice and if you like it, stick there, or if you don’t, try another and in the meantime, try not to be fearful of change.

In fact, just try not to be fearful. That is it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Personally I’m looking forward to the next new thing.

spring?

me too.

slackalice – Member

Incedentally, ten years ago, when I was doing a lot of riding in western Canada, many riders there were running 26 front and 24 rear

that’s a good point, i remember the specialized big hits with 24″ rear wheels, they seemed like a bad idea to me, and everyone seemed to agree because they weren’t available for very long.

but you can still buy 24″ tyres, even now, even dual ply.

even 24″ wheels haven’t been ‘phased out’.

grum
    Free Member

I feel that most bikes these days are boring.

You’re doing it wrong.

jameso

650b or 27.1 = a little over half an inch between axle to ground over 26″. Totally pointless but make no mistake the industry don’t think they’re selling enough bikes so they’re coming like it or not.

JCL, I know you appreciate the geometry benefits a 29er can have. How about 12-15mm (up to 20mm) increase in BB drop compared to a 26″? 15mm variance on a 26″ felt worthwhile. Not worth changing bikes for, but maybe of interest to someone who likes a bigger wheel from experience on a 29″.
    I see 650B as a tweaked 26″ – I like that bit extra but it’s certainly not the difference going between 26″ and 29″ makes.

There are no right’s or wrong’s, just personal preference.

worth repeating )

timbo678
    Free Member

Bought the cube stereo 160mm 650b because it looks amazing and reviews were good, always been a 26 fan and never been fussed by anything bigger – have to say I love this bike, it is amazing! No idea if it has anything to do with the wheel size mind!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘650b that is all.’ is closed to new replies.