Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 60 mile round trip commute. Options for recovery during the working day?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have started doing there and back twice a week to work which is 60 miles all in. During the summer I was doing

Monday (Cycle home)
    Tuesday (Cycle In)
    Wed (Cycle Home)
    Thurs (Cycle In)
    Fri (Both ways)

I love the ride and it is so much less stress than driving. 2 hours each way on the bike 1 hour each way in the car.

The issue I am having is that it seems to knacker me. I get to work having cycled at a gentle pace and feel like I could go back to bed. Terrible admission, but I am hoping it’s just a nutrition thing. For example, I get up at 6am, bowl of cereal and then out the door at 645am.

Should I be looking at eating more before setting off or maybe a bar / gel …

Just after possible ideas as I really don’t want to call it a day. I have been doing it for 4 months now and I am not finding it any easier.

lunge

I do a similar commute, though I try and do there and back on the same day twice, maybe 3 times per week. Anyway, here’s what works for me:
    1 banana and an espresso before I leave the house in the morning. I have a gel in my pocket for emergency energy lows but never use it.
    Big bowl of porridge after I’ve showered at work.
    Maybe another banana or an apple mid morning.
    Lunch is a hot bowl of something I make with brown rice, tomatoes and turkey mince (amongst other things).
    Maybe an apple mid afternoon.
    Small sarny or similar before I leave to go home.
    Normal dinner when I get home, low carb, high protein.

But. I am often hungry and kind of accept that. I also often need a strong coffee to get through the morning, again, that’s fine.

flanagaj
    Free Member

That’s very interesting. You eat probably less than I do (weigh 73kg) so that would indicate it isn’t calorie related. Maybe I need to slow the ride down even further.

You mention a strong coffee to get through the morning? I too find that I feel quite tired and not 100% with it for 2-3 hours and then I find things settle down and I am okay. I am able to work, but am conscious that I feel pretty tired.

I find it really strange that a 30 mile ride before work can tire me, yet a 30 mile ride at the weekend is a pootle. Maybe it is just solely that you have to sit at a desk and do a days work.

cloudnine
    Free Member

2-3 hour sleep at your desk, plenty of tea and cake before you scuttle back off home.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

60 miles a day will add up pretty quickly. I’m pretty fit and have done commutes of 40 miles / day (200 miles / week), but to do more than that around the day job (and in my case – young family) would just cripple me at work.

Your 3 times a week strategy seems pretty sensible until you build up further. You could pick the decent days to bike and the shitey days to drive over winter? I can totally understand why you want to bike all the time though – I would want to do that too!

jamesmio
    Free Member

Are you getting PLENTY of water in? Like, 2-3 litres minimum per day?

I found myself really flagging when I was getting dehydrated

flanagaj
    Free Member

Yep. Drink loads of water. I also need plenty of shut eye and getting up at 0600hrs every day does not help.

I might have no choice but to drive if it’s a wet winter. The route travels through lowlands which apparently were 5ft underwater last year!

rone

I’m the same – off road commute 15miles each way soon makes you tired whereas 50-100 miles at the weekend doesn’t take its toll so much.

I guess it’s wrapping it around a working day that the issue. And often not taxing enough to be a training ride that makes the endorphins flow.

senorj

I do 50 mile commute fairly regularly, Usually out and back next day &try to pick decent weather.
    The work bound leg is always a sloooooowwwww leg stretch for me. I have a coffee and maybe a small bowl of cereal before , loads of porridge & eggs after arrival.
    Lunch and definitely something to eat before leaving.
    A lunchtime walk & stretch helps my tight legs too.

Fair play to you if you keep that up when Winter bites.
    If I were you I’d have Wednesday off. 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

I don’t do anything as far but for me I have to have porridge before leaving. Impressed with your commitment. A commute like that would be A twice a week max for me!

darrell
    Free Member

I do a 30km commute one way 4 days a week. The morning is a quick ferry ride across the fjord and a short 1km ride to the office and then a 30km ride home (mixed off road and bike path)

only thing i need to do is make sure im hydrated

Time will help and you will get used to it

damascus
    Free Member

I find if I cycle to work and back every week day I don’t want to ride on a weekend so I limit myself. Usually do 3 or 4 days depending on the weather.

It usually hits me around Friday. I just try to eat as much food as possible (rice and chicken meals, pasta etc) . No scientific basis behind it, just make sure I’m fuelled.

My friend uses the zero tablets you add to water, he says they make a difference to him.

If I was doing a 2 hour ride I’d have food with me. The best one I’ve seen is the home made cereal bars with peanut butter/chocolate. Mix it all together, slice it and freeze it. I’m sure someone will have a good recipe. Take some of that with you in a morning.

lunge

That’s very interesting. You eat probably less than I do (weigh 73kg) so that would indicate it isn’t calorie related. Maybe I need to slow the ride down even further.

I’m a bit heavier than you (90kg, 6’4″) and don’t hang around on the ride, it’s 36 miles ish door to door and I aim at 2 hours. I have a 5:30am alarm and am generally on the bike by 5:45am, kit is laid out the night before, bike prepped, all I do is get dressed, make coffee, grab banana and keys and go. I generally wake up about 15 minutes in to the ride!

I’m generally buzzing when I get to work and the early to mid morning is awesome. I’ll take coffee at around 11am to get me through to lunch though I probably overstated how tired I am, I could get through without coffee I’d just be a bit slow! I’ll have a lull after lunch but then I have that irrelevant if I’ve ridden in but then be fine for the afternoon. I also drink a lot of water, I’ll have 1/2 an electrolyte tab in each bottle when I ride and generally get through 3 or 4 litres per day of water per day generally.

Re. hunger, I’ve learned to live with it. I have a theory that people have this huge fear of hunger, you always want to feel full. It’s taken a while but I now accept it as I tend to be very strict when I eat so know when a meal is coming and what it’ll be.

If I was doing a 2 hour ride I’d have food with me.

This I don’t agree with. I have a gel in my pocket for emergencies and almost never use it, never in the morning, maybe 2 or 3 times a year in the evening. Unless you’ve eaten very poorly for the previous 12 hours almost anyone can do 2 hours without food with no issue whatsoever.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I get up at 6am, bowl of cereal and then out the door at 645am

Might not be the cycle or nutrition at all.
    Not being in any way a morning person, i’d be no use to anyone if I tried to do the above.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Getting up for 06:00 should be no problem unless you are going to bed late. Which is the same for what ever time you have to get up.

sprocker
    Free Member

I did 50 miles there and Mon/wed/fri and was always hungry and to be honest too knackered to work effectively in the afternoons. I did it for a year and now drive half way dump the car and cycle the rest. Works for me as now have the energy to work and ride the mtb at the weekend.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I do 20 miles each way, pretty much every day all year round. I have a coffee when I get up, a couple of slice of toast and an espresso before I leave in the morning, a roll with cold meat when I get to work, and another roll about midday. Then just a normal meal when I get home.

That’s generally enough for me, although some days when I get home I’m absolutely ravenous – as I was last night for some reason, you know the ‘need food now’ way where you eat food while you’re making food.

My ‘recovery’ consists of putting my feet up on a box under my desk every now and then 🙂

flange
    Free Member

I do half of what you’re planning to do and I’m spent by Friday, albeit I do it every day.

I drive to Orpington then cycle in from there, riding 16 or so miles to work through London. Because of the traffic, some of it is quite high intensity, some parts less so. Not much climbing except for round Chislehurst.

I have a coffee in the car on the way to the car park, then have breakfast of either eggs or a roll of some sort when I get in. Big lunch (normally cooked from our canteen) then a snack before I leave. Then proper meal when I get in. Its a lot of food, but I’m still losing weight and I’m still constantly hungry. I just figure its ok to be hungry when I’m not riding, but will make sure I’m fully fueled from about 4pm on so that I’ve got the energy to ride home. I’m toast at the weekends though – tend to leave the bike well alone until Monday morning.

My hamstrings are SUPER tight all the time – might take the advice above and go for a walk at lunch

traildog
    Free Member

I find commuting miles are much harder than general mileage. There is something about getting up early and getting on the bike, without waking your body up properly, that I find hard. Not sure what to advise because I’ve not found a good way of doing it, other than getting up earlier and waking myself up more – but when you are getting up so early anyway you don’t want to regularly do that!

dazh

70km round trip here. The morning leg is done on no breakfast and water only. I eat when I get into work, and have a lot for lunch. I generally feel fine in the mornings, but I do drink a coffee or two (that’s normal even if I’m not riding). The afternoons however can be a mixed bag. I’ve had the odd occasion where I’ve experienced an extreme blood sugar drop late in the afternoon (bonking at your desk isn’t very nice!), which necessitates emergency eating before embarking on the ride home. Every now and again it happens on the bike, so I carry an emergency gel or two for that eventuality (although it’s still hellish).

Try and get out of your chair and do some stretching. Sitting down all day after doing a ride makes my legs seize up so I try to go for a short walk at various points in the day. And do a decent stretching session when you get home.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Every now and again it happens on the bike, so I carry an emergency gel or two for that eventuality (although it’s still hellish).

I always carry a couple of gels just in case I start to feel a bit low in energy, but if the bonk is coming on the I’ve found the only thing that really works is chocolate, I always have an emergency mars bar in my seat pack just in case.

Vortexracing

I do a 50 mile commute quite regularly (2-3 times a week), in fact all 5 days last week but one 🙁

I have an espresso and bowl of porridge or Wheatabix before I set-off, apples and fruit during the morning, butty for lunch and a banana before I set off home. Then a normal meal at home for tea.

That seems to do me OK, one thing I have noticed is that just knocking the pace down slightly helps you get through the week a bit better.

I also carry an emergency gel, very rarely use it, but If I have been working late and it’s been a few hours since lunch, that’s when I need it @ about halfway home 🙁

The getting up at 5am does as much damage as the riding IMHO 🙄

flanagaj
    Free Member

There is something about getting up early and getting on the bike, without waking your body up properly, that I find hard.

You have hit the nail on the head there. 30 miles early in the morning is always tougher than 30 miles in the afternoon. Science would indicate it’s the fact that glycogen levels are low when you get up and if you are up and on the bike within 45 mins after waking your body will most likely still be suffering low glycogen levels.

What I do find so key to how I feel when I get to work is the level of intensity I ride at. If I take 2 hours (15mph average) I get to work and feel like I am good to go. Push the intensity and do it in 1hr 50mins and I feel a lot more shattered. So I am slowly learning that pushing to make up a few extra minutes is just detrimental.

matts
    Free Member

Yeah. You can do a long ride without eating much so long as it’s a slow pace. For fasted rides, you don’t want to go above zone 2.

What is the terrain like? Flat, rolling, hilly?

I would have a bowl of muesli or porridge (preferably low sugar) before you leave, and stick a banana in your jersey. Then have something more protein-y when you get to the office. Maybe a couple of eggs, or if you don’t have a microwave, a glass or milk, or greek yogurt.

matts
    Free Member

I’ll add that while fasted training is definitely a useful tool, I think your aim seems to be to enjoy the ride and not suffer a huge slump during the day. So fueling yourself properly for the whole day needs to be taken into account. Try ensure you’re snacking on the right things throughout the day. Low GI snacks to avoid a crash, etc. As well as keeping well hydrated (which has been mentioned), take a look at when you consume caffeine.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Yeah. You can do a long ride without eating much so long as it’s a slow pace. For fasted rides, you don’t want to go above zone 2.

What is the terrain like? Flat, rolling, hilly?

I would have a bowl of muesli or porridge (preferably low sugar) before you leave, and stick a banana in your jersey. Then have something more protein-y when you get to the office. Maybe a couple of eggs, or if you don’t have a microwave, a glass or milk, or greek yogurt. I agree regarding zone 2. That is what I have found. Obey the HR monitor more strictly recently.

It’s not very hilly. 1400ft in total

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Try eating and drinking on the way as well.

a) it’ll slow you down a bit, or at least control your speed.
    b) you’ll get to work nicely loaded with carbs and water.
    c) you can get away with a smaller breakfast, so you won’t be trying to digest one great big lump of food while riding.
    d) you can eat once you’ve woken up a bit.
    e) you can also stay in bed longer as you won’t need to eat before you leave.

I used to commute like that, couple of home made cereal bars or flapjacks, bottle of water, bottle of (very weak) electrolyte or energy drink, for the taste more than anything).

And as a sort of old roadies saying “you’re eating for tomorrow”.
    Which is why you see roadies stuff their face for the first half of any stage (or one day event). The food won’t help them much that day, but it’ll put them ahead of the game later in the day. Or tomorrow.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘60 mile round trip commute. Options for recovery during the working day?’ is closed to new replies.