Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • 50k to invest.Self invest or advise ?
  • kcal

that’s really rubbish.
    TBH I wouldn’t even give a bank adviser the benefit of a chat — would self-invest, go through a broker or even a local IFA (though a good one is really hard to find).

trail_rat
    Free Member

double post.

mike_p
    Free Member

>These were unknown funds to me until i did a little research,and some tips from this thread. Speaking to the banks adviser yesterday he’d never heard of them as well !

This tells you all you need to know about banks. Anyone in investments who hasn’t heard of those three should resign in shame! IMHO… FS + LT are two of the very best, but Woodford – he’s been more lucky than smart, and while it’s nice to have luck on your side he’s made some proper howlers recently: HSBC, Centrica, Drax, RR, NWBO, not to mention the black hole that WPCT is fast becoming…

konabunny
    Free Member

And you believe classic cars and property are a better bet…..

Classic cars? Why would you invest in those when you could be cornering the market in paint splatter classic Konas???

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Woodford – he’s been more lucky than smart, and while it’s nice to have luck on your side he’s made some proper howlers recently:

Yeah , he’s a jammy get and has been for 20years plus… 🙄
    How many years has he outperformed the market in that time? Can anyone match his record? Terry Fund maybe, but who else?
    Yeah, he’s made some howlers, not just recently either, but everyone does!

footflaps

not to mention the black hole that WPCT is fast becoming..

Define black hole.

A long term investment fund not trading at a profit after roughly a year is hardly unexpected….

mike_p
    Free Member

Yeah I know that, and there’s also the truism that that harder you work the luckier you get. But what I’m getting at is what Derren Brown alluded to in “The System”, that if all permutations + combinations are covered, someone WILL win all the time. Woodford makes some bold calls, which is all part of the game, I’m just saying it’s not all down to skill – he may just be the one who’s got lucky the most.

BillMC

Clearly luck is an element but I like to follow the lucky ones. Marlborough Micro Fund (Woodford) is worth checking out. FEVR and AMER have cheered me up enormously this week.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

mike P,If Woodford has made some proper howlers recently,how come he’s doing so well.I think if you check,you’ll find he got out of HSBC on top.As for RRs problems,who really saw that coming.

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘50k to invest.Self invest or advise ?’ is closed to new replies.