Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 421 total)
  • "5000" lumen light….
  • spicer
    Free Member

Has anybody used one of these? I’m just wondering how it compares brightness wise to my “900” Lumen Magicshine thingy. I know, it’s going to be crap-ish- but at £30…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Bright-2x-CREE-XML-U2-LED-Bicycle-Bike-Light-Set-Red-Black-5000-Lumen-UK-/200959831751?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item2eca23aec7

wors

I’ll let you know on Thursday when mine arrives, bought it as stop gap while my other light is being fixed!!!!!

5thElefant
    Free Member

About twice as bright as your magicshine, not 5x.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Ordered one last week. Interested to see what it’s like when it turns up.

dabble
    Free Member

And Spicer said, “Let there be Light,” and there was. Bloody loads of it.

I often blind dog walkers with my 2 magic shine 1600 jobs, its plenty of fun.

06awjudd
    Free Member

See this thread

and this one

Got one coming in the post, from what I’ve heard you can’t really go wrong, although the battery life isn’t fantastic at about 3 hours on medium (which is plenty apparently)

widge34
    Free Member

Well it certainly wont be 5000 lumens, but at £30 its worth a punt.Deal Extreme sell this particular light.

z1ppy

I’ve got one and have used it but haven’t actually just compared it to mine or my m8’s lights. Definitely not 5000 lumens, but seemingly loads better than the single XML light around over the last couple of years.
    I wouldn’t say it was “crapish” but mine came with a rubbish battery, other ppl report theres to be better, hardly the end of the world or unexpected.
    Only quick comparison I did was side by side next to a Inton Dual XML (MS880 type jobbie), and it’s definitely not quite as bright as that, but is substantially smaller & lighter.

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a couple.

lightman
    Free Member

Hahaha, the Chinese lumens are really getting ridicules!
    A few years ago you would divide the silly figure by 50% and that would give you a top end estimate, but WHF 5000!
    Divide that by 50%, then 50% again and then if you take another 20% off that, then thats the likely max output.

06awjudd
    Free Member

Divide that by 50%, then 50% again and then if you take another 20% off that, then thats the likely max output.

Wow, that ends up at 100,000 lumens then, that really is a bargain to be had! 😆

Kbrembo
    Free Member

I got one last week and very impressed! Bargain!

Yeah cheapo 18650 battery pack but that’s easy changed.

Anyone use a lipo battery pack?

5000ma lipo can be bought pretty cheap from purplepower or giantshark

john_drummer
    Free Member

problem with LiPo cells is they can be really tetchy if you don’t charge them properly (balanced charger).

lightman
    Free Member

Make sure to put the LiPo in a hard shell/case too, if you get one.

Wow, that ends up at 100,000 lumens then, that really is a bargain to be had!

That’ll be next years Chinese Lumens figure for 3x XML 😉

z1ppy

Nah the triple unit are only 6000 lumens (check out ebay), though I’d stick with the smaller x2 (lower profile) for helmet use.

didgy2
    Free Member

i have had an 1800lm for a year and it’s been fantastic, reliable, long battery and very bright.
    Bought the 5000lms couple of week’s ago for night ride outs and to be honest very hard to tell any difference between them. Still good light for the money though 🙂

*EDIT
    There is also a 9000lm as well

zippykona

How does this compare to a magicshine 872?
    I don’t need new lights but I can’t help myself.

cookeaa

Says its using “XML U2” emitters, anyone know how those might differ from the T6?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

5000 lumen , what a joke. I would be amazed if the actual output was offer 1200

andrewh
    Free Member

It’s a little more than £30 but it does produce a real, measured (by whom I don’t know) 4,500 lumens! http://www.full-beam.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SYS_X12_2013
    I’ve got their little 2,500 lumen light and TBH that’s plenty, just over 3hrs at full whack, days and days on low.

scaredypants

[quote]Wow, that ends up at 100,000 lumens then, that really is a bargain to be had![/quote]I make it 16,000 – still pretty good though 😉

lightman
    Free Member

The latest XM-L will produce around 1000 Lumens in optimal lab conditions, stick that in a light and you would be looking at around 700-800 max accounting for losses.
    Those 2x XM-L lights would likely only be putting out 500-600 each max, so 1000-1200 max.
    And its pretty unlikely that they will have the latest ones too, despite what it says.

To properly measure lumens, you need to use a sphere, the best most of us could do is to use a light meter and find the lux, but that only tell you how bright a light source is.

I have a 9x XM-L flashlight which is advertised as 11000 Lumens, tests showed it was about 5000 max when first switched on, going down to around 3500-4000 after the heat etc… kicked in.

alexdodd
    Free Member

These ebay cheapo lights are great (i use three of last years XML’s myself), buuuut the mounts are ****. Really need to bodge something much better… Batteries are defo on their way out now too, but unlike everyone warned me the lights themselves still work great!

Kbrembo
    Free Member

The hope qr light mount works..you may need a shorter screw.

The Magicshine headmount also works….

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Fiddled with one tonight. Nicely made little light. Really is very bright for the money. I don’t understand why you need to spend hundreds, when these work better than I would have expected. I can also agree on the battery case being a bit cheap but with a locking ring on the connector to prevent it pulling out by accident and the weight of it, they are good. And all for £30. Going to get one myself now, after handing it back to its owner.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

A bit of a “Wall-e” look

dirtyrider
    Free Member

a bit? you look like his brother

chvck
    Free Member

Just ordered one, do they come with a helmet mount or do I need to get my bodge on?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Didn’t see one in the box, just a pair of rubber rings for mounting to bars

neninja
    Free Member

Wouldn’t want to catch my knee/leg on that in an over the bars fall.

If it’s more than 1100 lumens I’d be amazed. Probably reclaimed laptop cells in the battery pack I would imagine. Definitely one to charge in a metal box.

richpips
    Free Member

If it’s more than 1100 lumens I’d be amazed. Probably reclaimed laptop cells in the battery pack I would imagine. Definitely one to charge in a metal box.

1100 lumens is plenty. I’ve got a 500 lumen lamp that I can ride as fast as I can with.

Even if the battery is rubbish you can pick up a 4400mah in the UK for £30 or 6600mah for £35.

cookeaa

Or Johnny 5

grum
    Free Member

Is there perhaps a reason you are being so negative about this light? Ulterior motive perhaps?

Everyone who’s bought one seems very happy.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Its only a bit bigger than a fag packet :roll:. Probably more problems with banging your knee on the stem or just ride within you’re capability or stay indoors 😉

robbieh
    Free Member

or just ride within you’re capability or stay indoors

HAHA stay indoors? Are you mad when we can have a laugh at me falling off again. not forgetting the beer after 😆 Thrusty, don,t tell them about my home made batt. Packs

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ha ha, FFS, every year they draw me in with their promise of more lumens than I’ll ever know what to do with. Ordered.

(I’m justifying it as it means I can now leave lights permanently on my road and mountain bike helmets and the bars of three bikes too.)

robbieh
    Free Member

Got to admit, I was just drawn to the pretty red anodising with the excuse I needed a backup light 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

Is there perhaps a reason you are being so negative about this light? Ulterior motive perhaps?

He sells lights, but it can’t be that. Probably just genuine concerns.
    The battery will be pap, though. Which always seems to be the weak point with these lights.

neninja
    Free Member

I’m very open about the fact that I sell lights but that doesn’t exclude me from holding an opinion.

Lots of people on here work for specific bike brands but share opinions about loads of bikes.

cookeaa

I’m in a bit of a quandary here, Yes I already own 3 single emitter XML lights and an aged P7 all of which are still functional… But £30?… it’s really not bad VFM, and it’s hardly like we don’t know what we’re getting now after what ~4 years or so of: P7 & XML emitter, 4×18650 batteries (with questionable weather tightness) and patented , firestarter chargers we’re all used to Chinese “Bastid” lights.

To those that own or have played with one, what’s the beam pattern like? anyone got a beam shot yet?

Is it just a slightly wider hot spot with a big bastard halo (as I’d sort of expect two £15 XMLs side by side to be)?

How about weight? much heavier than a single? I’d see this as more of an option for noggin than bar mounting…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 421 total)

The topic ‘"5000" lumen light….’ is closed to new replies.