Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 36 TALAS RC2 Setup tips??
  • flamejob
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips as to how to set these 2009 bad boys up?

At the mo they aren’t behaving quite as expected. There is almost no small bump compliance with no damping (any of the three external adjusters) dialed in at all and slightly less pressure than recommended for my weight. They feel sticky (as in starting force is slightly high), but I am putting that down to being brand new.

flamejob
    Free Member

I guess not then 😥

Richyb
    Free Member

I had some till recently and just pumped them up/let air out until they felt plush enough, made sure I was using most of the travel and bobs your uncle. Always felt mint.

Actually come to think of it mine were just Talas “R’s”

rbmccunn
    Free Member

Got a set of 07’s just sold a set of 06 r’s and they are both nice and plush, they should only take a few rides to bed in. First off put a little lube (chain lube will do) around the seals at the top of the stanchion’s (make sure they are clean first) and pump them up and down (this will also keep the seals nice, and stop stanchion wear, it works!). Run them with the low speed at just 2-3 clicks in and the high speed about 4 or 5 and ride as much rough stuff as you can! If they are not plush after a couple of rides like that there might be something wrong.

flamejob
    Free Member

Brill…

..will do and report back.

mboy
    Free Member

Ride em as hard as possible!

Seriously, best way to bed em in. Any new forks will be sticky for a while though. Few drops of wet lube to each stanchion before/after each ride will help though.

Regarding adjustments, found you’re better off going by sag rather than using Fox’s reccomendations on air pressure. I’ve got mine set to between 25 and 30% sag, with Fox’s reccomended pressures I was seeing less than 20% sag, which meant I wasn’t coming anywhere near full travel. Now I’m getting more travel, though still not quite full travel, but that’s mainly cos I’m not a heavy guy and the internal end stroke damping comes set up VERY firm from the factory, so I need to get this adjusted (this is internal adjustment only I’m told).

Also been told by those in the know, you’re better off erring towards slightly soft on the spring rate, and running more compression damping (both low and high speed, you’ll need more than you think you do) to help “prop” the forks up under braking and to stop them blowing through all their travel. Got my High Speed adjuster about 8 clicks out from full in, and my low speed adjuster 4 or 5 clicks out from full in. But Still experimenting yet.

Ben_Haworth

Wait for them to bed in.

And “small bump compliance” is a job for tyres not suspension IMHO 🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

As far as the pressure goes; I went with the manual at first which was 50psi for my weight, but have now dropped them to 40. 43psi is the lowest on the chart, but god knows how you are supposed to get it that accurate with the Fox pump.

Having owned all manufacturers’ forks (I am a fork whore… including some very strange ones; mountain cycles anyone??) this is my first pair of Fox. I have always found Marzocchi a bit sticky at first, but these really buzz my bars.

twohats
    Free Member

And “small bump compliance” is a job for tyres not suspension IMHO

Oh dear…

solamanda
    Free Member

I told you they’d be crap. Sling them in the bin and get some nice pikes ;o)

adstick
    Free Member

They do take a while to bed in.

I agree with Ben about small bumps too. You can’t have magic damping that deals with high/low speed equally well. Far better to have a stable, firm feeling fork that can deal with the stuff you really need it for, than one that moves over every trail dimple at low speeds, but gets all divey and wallows when you hit the big stuff.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘36 TALAS RC2 Setup tips??’ is closed to new replies.