• This topic has 209 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 210 total)
  • 31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !
  • wilburt
    Free Member

I’m in and so far so good. Tbh I nearly drank and ate myself to death in December so my bodies telling me in no uncertain terms to stop.

fossy

Doing dry Jan with the missus. Didn’t drink much over Christmas, about 4 pints in 12 hours on Christmas day and similar New Year.

The weight loss will be a good kick start and I’ve hit the turbo most nights. Also got Sat and Sun on the MTB. Piled on weight since breaking my spine and it will ease the pain if I shed some extra kgs.

scaled
    Free Member

My Mrs is 6 months pregnant, I had a beer advent calendar all through Dec, so that pretty much required me to drink every day as it was a present (wouldn’t want to look ungrateful now, would I?)

That and chub club is helping, kg are just dropping off at the moment so I’ll persevere.

Strange thing is that not drinking (or maybe that’s just hunger) is making me want to smoke.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Unless I encounter too many of the type of people who come on to a thread about packing in drinking to say that they don’t drink anyway

They’d definitely make me want to start drinking very heavily, on general principle

+1

Similar to when people talk about quitting meat and dairy. Cue a phalanx of vegans militant porkers from the Meat Division clamouring to skewer those self-righteous, idiotic meat-free morons on the barbed tips of their exquisite bacon-jokes. Makes me (eats fish and some dairy) desire to go full on militant vegan if only to be less like those people.

(Slams a carrot juice). ‘Set me up another, Bob,…and a rum chaser. Vive la difference!’ 😉

I had a beer advent calendar all through Dec

Approved. Just two questions – Screw length? Rawplug size?

On a serious note – I applaud anyone quitting an addiction/changing harmful habits. +2 if doing it for unselfish reasons.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member
    Non-alcoholics enjoying a pretend battle with drink.

😆

st66

I did a dry January last year, and liked the consequences so much that I just carried on not drinking, and have no desire to go back. In my case it was driven by the deep black moods and anger for days after having a drink – I just didn’t want to be like that any more (especially around the kids). At first I just substituted fizzy water for beer when I got the craving, but now quite enjoy alcohol-free beer (and even some wine).

Kryton57

I’ve moved to Erdinger and Nanny State, hoping to keep it up to my Birthday in early March, coinciding with my bike race training and the need to lose a couple of pounds.

I don’t have the desire to drink more than one of those a night.

tod456
    Free Member

I’m in and so far so good. Tbh I nearly drank and ate myself to death in December so my bodies telling me in no uncertain terms to stop.

plus 1

However the weekend is coming ….. must stay strong 😉

Kryton57

I’m finding this difficult. I don’t drink much – a couple of shorts or a red wine in the evening perhaps but I see it as an enjoyable relaxing personal part/escape of my life whereas much else is quite hard work.

Therefore, having taken that away I now have nothing to look forward to this evening, and I’d quite like a beer at Jnr’s birthday dinner with the outlaws this weekend also.

On the flip side, its a first world issue and there’s many in this world that will never have the opportunity so I should feel grateful to have the choice,although actually I’m pretty downtrodden feeling.

binners

If you’re at a party and fancy a beer, then just have one fella. At the end of the day you’ve decided to give something you enjoy up on an arbitrary date for a randomly specified timescale.

No point beating yourself up about it. It’s not like you’re putting special brew on your cornflakes, is it?

Cheers 😀

Kryton57

randomly specified timescale

Well, it was timed to end on my birthday and coincides with my meed to drop a few pounds before the start if my race season end of Feb… 🙂

To me, having a drink now screams “failed”.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

I only drink on holiday and Christmas and even then it’s only a few pints Max. My kidney seems to ache after drinking alcohol, I’ve had kidney stones four times and they always seemed to come after drinking alcohol or lots of caffeinated drinks.
    So I stick to water (sparkling) and tonic water.

Now smoking that’s a hard one to give up.

seosamh77
    Free Member

After 3 months off it, decided I’m gonna do jointuary for the rest for the month*! 😆

*Or till this quarter gets rattled. Interesting side note. My dealer dude does a better service than amzon prime! 😆 free delivery too.

timidwheeler

I’m giving up drinking at home. If I’m that desperate for a drink, I’ll have to get off my fat arse and waddle down the pub.
    I feel this is a sensible compromise.

Leku
    Free Member

I’m giving up drinking at home.

+1

Except my daughters football this evening has been cancelled and I was going to nip to the pub while she played. Now at home with a beer.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Errr FAILED, in my defence I’ve had a rubbish day at A&E. But I’m working nights all next week followed by On-Call duties the week after.

cheers_drive

I’m discovering that lime and soda makes me wee even more than beer!
    Not doing whole January as it’s the local winter beer fest on 27th.

MrOvershoot

binners – Member
    It’s not like you’re putting special brew on your cornflakes, is it?

Many years ago I did just that! Dear god it was grim, not put me off drink though.

Our Occ Health nurse at work asked me about my alcohol consumption last month. So I told the truth (something many people fib about) and he almost fell off his chair in shock 😯

I think the words “functioning alcoholic” might have been mentioned 🙁

wallop

I like a drink, for sure. But there’s no way I see a completely dry January as a worthwhile exercise. It’s better for me to consciously make an effort to reduce my consumption to within the recommended limits (say, 14-20 units per week) than to completely omit any alcohol whatsoever.

As a result, this week has been a success. I’ve not drunk anything since Sunday and now I’m enjoying a couple of glasses of wine – maybe a bit more, but still within my prescribed limits.

So I’ve both reduced my consumption AND met my goals 😀

Winning at life 😆

iainc

Friday and Saturday evenings successfully completed 😀

Nearly into week 2, pretty happy so far. How others doing ?

isto
    Free Member

I’m doing it too, I have done it the last couple of years. Last year a work trip away cut it short by a few days but I am happy just to prove that abstaining for a small time is possible and relatively easy.

This year has been fine so far although I am also trying to eat a lot healthier as well…the combination seems to be creating my own personal wind farm 😳

Kryton57

Ive discovered Nanny State gives me a faux hangover 😐

Murray

I’m still at it, I was drinking loads in December so thought it’d be a wrench but after the first couple of days it’s turning out OK. Getting through the “I’m home from work, open a beer” habit was the hardest bit.

vickypea
    Free Member

“Unless I encounter too many of the type of people who come on to a thread about packing in drinking to say that they don’t drink anyway
    They’d definitely make me want to start drinking very heavily, on general principle”

I would like to enjoy a drink now and then but I’m forced not to because of frequent migraine. I’ve had an enforced dry 10 years so anyone asking me to sponsor them to do a dry month can bugger off! (Yes, I know the OP isn’t asking to be sponsored, but loads of people do on Facebook).

davosaurusrex

Another one doing it and not really feeling the benefits due to lingering lurgy. Had a hard day at work Friday and was looking forward to a beer until I remembered. Wasn’t too bothered when I got home though. Love a beer but just tired of the downsides so not really missing it. Pub stop after Thursday night rides will be the hardest part but weather has been so crap that might not be too much of an issue

kayak23

Kryton57 – Member
    Ive discovered Nanny State gives me a faux hangover

Nanny State isn’t entirely alcohol free though. It’s about 0.5% iirc. How many you knocking back? 🙂

Was hard to not have a post ride evening beer last night but having a cold helps I guess.

woody2000

Been trying a few alcohol free beers, still not found any that are as good as the blue erdinger. Funny how something essentially tasteless(?) is so noticeable when it’s not there.

One to avoid – St Peters Without. F#&$**g awful, truly dreadful.

This one:

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Furstenburg alcohol free is good.

lustyd
    Free Member

I’ve decided to keep drinking in January but give up Heroine instead. I feel too many people take Heroine and have a dependency on it, but it should be easy for me because I’m better than those people and never do Heroine anyway.
    Maybe those who don’t drink can quit caffeine for the month instead and join in properly?

gerti
    Free Member

That St Peter’s stuff with or without alcohol is awful!

Kryton57

Nanny State isn’t entirely alcohol free though. It’s about 0.5% iirc. How many you knocking back?

Just the two, but I don’t get hangovers on Erdinger Alcholfrie

donald
    Free Member

I’ve decided to keep drinking in January but give up Heroine instead. I feel too many people take Heroine

You could drop a few Es as well.

chestrockwell

Struggled for the first time today as I made and ate a full Sunday lunch. Would usually have a couple of beers while in the kitchen then wine with the food. Flavoured water didn’t really hit the spot.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Stick with it, I had a battle on Friday night, went to bed at 8pm! feel spot on now though, lost a bit of weight and got up early on Sunday and did 3 hrs on the push iron, too.

Murray

Crap weekend but I didn’t give in. Missed the instant relief though.

st66

That St Peter’s alcohol free beer is really bad – tastes like diluted, unfermented home brew kit. Erdinger or Becks blue for me (also Innis and None, but can’t find that anymore)

jimster01

After the crap start to the year I’m going to give this a go now – mood swings are getting seriously dark.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As I said I’m cutting down, rather than cutting it out altogether. I was away at the weekend so walked down to the pub Friday night for a couple of pints, went for a long walk Saturday and popped into the pub for a pint and had a couple of gins last night. Won’t have anything the rest of the week and my wifes away skiing next week so should be off it for nearly two weeks.

jonnyboi

fell off the wagon yesterday with junk food and a few glasses of wine. Not going to use it as an excuse to give up. Back on the healthy wagon today

iainc

week 2, underway 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !’ is closed to new replies.