• This topic has 209 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)
  • 31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !
  • joat

I’m dry one week in three whilst being on call for work. I’m a moderate drinker in the other two weeks though. Trying to have dry days in those two weeks seems harder than a whole week somehow. I’m cycling up Mt Ventoux in June, so planning on having dry midweek nights after training, though I might be better having a drink afterwards as an incentive to get out.

ferrals
    Free Member

I have a mini keg already sitting on the table for next weekend but after that I’m cutting back to moderate weekend drinking only (and crisps/ chocolate only on w/e too)

woody2000

I’ve got a 2 week course of antibiotics to start tomorrow so hoping that will make it easier to go at least a full month without a drink.

I’ve got a stone to lose too, and as most of my excess calories come from booze, this should help with that. I’m a habitual drinker and drink more days than I don’t, so I need to change that 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Decided to knock the beer on the head at end of October, apart from one on Xmas eve and one on Xmas day, I’ve stuck to it.

Dropped a shit load of weight, this has been helped by eating cleaner too and cutting back on the carbs too.

Glad I did it, it’s been great and I don’t miss it, though I will have a few on holiday this summer I’m sure.

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – drastic measures to live up to your forum name 😀

Well played though, good you’ve stuck to it. Not a lot of beers here, but the wine was getting a bit too regular over December !

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

My old neighbours used to drink two bottles of red a night minimum so I can understand why some it may work for some people, personally I’ll drink when I want and not drink when I want
    Giving up for a month is pointless

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I may have to change the name Iain, nobeerinthenobeer?…

iainc

😀

newrobdob
    Free Member

If the thought of giving it up for a month fills you with dread or it’s something you think you might find slightly difficult you really need to take a long hard look at yourself! I honestly wouldn’t be fussed if someone said you could never drink again.

myti
    Free Member

You could say the same thing about loads of things. People like/love different things. Not wanting to go without something for a month doesn’t mean it’s a problem.

shermer75
    Free Member

I did 3 months once to get my insomnia under control (it worked). Didn’t feel any healthier, but it probably was! 🙂

tod456
    Free Member

Doing it too, day 1 done, had two pints of Pepsi Max instead last night … Not the same 🙁

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Last new years I decided to give up/cut out as much as possible.

Thought it would be hard (I used to enjoy having a nice bottle or two of ale in the evening).

Only drank twice last year and both times were with work e.g. the Christmas party.

Feel so much better for not drinking (improved sleep is very noticeable).

Will carry it on for good.

ferrals
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member
    If the thought of giving it up for a month fills you with dread or it’s something you think you might find slightly difficult you really need to take a long hard look at yourself! I honestly wouldn’t be fussed if someone said you could never drink again.

POSTED 7 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Not really, I would find it’s difficult to give up lots of things for a month; drinking tea, cycling, reading the news etc. Doesn’t mean anything apart from I enjoy all of those things.

tiggs121
    Free Member

I’ll join you in the Dry January Club Iain.
    Cheers!

haakon_haakonsson
    Free Member

I’m in too, Iain!

Tried it a few years ago and managed three weeks. Will power generally a bit stronger now, so feeling confident.

The (possibly limited) medical research that’s been done suggests that people who do a dry month tend to then moderate their drinking for the rest of the year, so longer term benefits.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Me too, the glass recycling bin was rather embarrassing (and truth be told has been for a while).

iainc

Good stuff, nice to hear that a few others are doing it too ! I’d reflect what a few have said, and as I said in my OP, that I’m looking to see if it makes me a bit healthier, that’s all. A reset and a break, surely that’s a good thing….

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think booze and giving it up, whilst obvious, depends so much on your personal circumstances. When I lived in London, before I had children , giving up booze would be so difficult. Social occasions, nights out, a quick pint with workmates , a pint whilst watching the football with the #lads on a sunday etc. So for those in that situation I sympathise and good on you for trying .

Now that I have children, don’t live near any pubs, never go out and wake up at 6am most mornings, not drinking is easy, almost a requirement. If there was a culture of a pint at the pub after a ride id find it hard to say no.

What I can say is I certainly feel better for not drinking, I wouldn’t have missed the social side in that Laaandan for anything. so everyones reasons and circumstances are different , is what I’m trying to say! Good luck to those knocking the sauce on the head!

g5604
    Free Member

Is there a need to give up entirely? Genuine question as a non drinker

dumbbot
    Free Member

Circumstances is about right, I’m currently a year without alcohol after giving it up(accidentally) this time last year. In my previous life I was involved in running clubs/DJ so copious amounts of drink & drugs were the order of the day most days and weekends. Those were wild days but things change my crew have grown up, got kids…

I don’t go to clubs anymore, but ultimately I just got bored with drinking. The decision was made easier by the ridcoulous greed and overindulgence at this time of year.

I don’t feel any better or worse, so do it if you feel like it…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll certainly be cutting down, but I won’t be giving up completely. I don’t drink that much anyway but will probably stop the mid week gins.

My wife’s away skiing for a week so will probably have two weeks with no alcohol.

Is there a need to give up entirely? Genuine question as a non drinker

Not for me, no. But it’s nice to cut back on food and alcohol after the over indulgence during the festive season. And I’ve got about 4 or 5kg of winter insulation I’d like to shift.

robowns
    Free Member

Regularly go 31 days without an alcoholic drink passing my lips , I can’t understand why people make such a big thing about abstaining.

….you wouldn’t because you don’t drink much

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Have been WAY to saucy at the back end of the year so me and the wifey are off it too. Trouble is the house is still full of booze from Christmas despite my best efforts to eliminate the scourge. Need to drop a few pounds and get the fitness back for 2018 although my first bike commute of the year (driven in today and was going to ride home and back in in the morning) has been scuppered by Storm Eleanor, don’t fancy riding in 50mph winds PAH!

vintagewino
    Free Member

Anyone else attempting this who has a birthday in the middle of the month? It’s always the biggest challenge for me. But this year, as mentioned above, I just feel genuinely bored with drinking so maybe it will be easier this time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

although my first bike commute of the year (driven in today and was going to ride home and back in in the morning) has been scuppered by Storm Eleanor, don’t fancy riding in 50mph winds PAH

Same here, although scuppered by a stinking cold. Think I’ll be off it the rest of the week and back in full flow on the 8th (as long as it’s not icy).

ransos
    Free Member

Anyone else attempting this who has a birthday in the middle of the month? It’s always the biggest challenge for me.

If you’re doing it to lose weight or reduce consumption, rather than because you have a problem, then surely there’s no problem having one night off?

My wife and I have decided to go “low January”, mostly to lose some Christmas weight. We reckon giving up drinking on week nights should do the trick. It’s a pretty easy way of reducing calories.

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Unless I encounter too many of the type of people who come on to a thread about packing in drinking to say that they don’t drink anyway

They’d definitely make me want to start drinking very heavily, on general principle
    +1

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Life is so much better without, most pubs will now do a pot of tea for two, if not i go get the teapot out the car with Tetley in and ask em to fill it with their best hot.

chestrockwell

Really?

jam-bo

31 days without alcohol? easy.
    31 days without coffee? **** that.

iainc

Well I can’t say I’m missing it, let’s see how the weekend goes !

chilled76
    Free Member

Good luck matey. Should be a piece of cake, I’m doing 2018 T-total myself.

binners

Are we doing progress reports?

We decided on an impromptu couple of days in the lakes. The plan was to go out walking today but the weather was absolutely biblical so we spent the afternoon in the pub instead

Now having a nice glass of Malbec, listening to the rain hammering against the windows (the kind faces look in at) and we’ve concluded that not drinking in January, when it’s cold, wet, miserable and generally depressing is a really, really bloody stupid idea

Chin chin

😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good luck chilled, all the best.

I’ll be mostly tee total from now on I reckon, but will still enjoy a beer or 3 on holiday or social occasions.

Really loving the weight loss, no snoring And freshness of mind of a morning.

tiggs121
    Free Member

So far so good – I’ll even cope with a dry Birthday on Saturday.

gerti
    Free Member

I’m going to do no mid week alcohol January….from next week, because I only go back to work on Monday 8th, so I’m still on my hols 😀

Anyway, I’ve been a fish eating veggie for a whole 2 days now, so I have enough going on.

*cheers* Binners

chestrockwell

Yep, all good so far. Have not felt the benefit of a clear head due to ANOTHER cold though.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’m giving up drinking spirits, in the house, on weekdays.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘31 days without a drink ? Seems a healthy idea !’ is closed to new replies.