Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 29ers – is there a “qualifying” height?
  • druidh
    Free Member

For the short-limbed amongst us – is there a minimum height/leg length below which it all becomes a bit too reachy? More thinking about hardtail/soft-tail than proper FS.

Houns

I’m trying to make this sound the least insulting as i can

I think you may be a little too wee for one, i’m kinda borderline and i’m 6ft

Borrow one and try it?

AdamM
    Free Member

Personally, if you’re shorter than 5′ 8″, leg length less than 30″, or thereabouts you starting to have to make some interesting design compromises to get a 29″ MTB frame to fit properly, so I’d say those numbers are a reasonable lower limit for practical purposes.

With very rare exceptions, 29er frames designed for persons shorter than that also seem to introduce some, er, rather interesting design features and, to my mind, look f’ing awful as a result of a few compromises too far. It’s not that 29er frames cannot be designed for shorter people, rather that they never look as nice as a 26″ wheeled bike designed for the same rider. YMMV.

druidh
    Free Member

Houns – Member

I’m trying to make this sound the least insulting as i can

I think you may be a little too wee for one,

Don’t worry – I can take it….

😥

Houns

Oh come here big fella

*hugs*

firestarter
    Free Member

im five nine and had a med rig and a med singular swift both fit great

firestarter
    Free Member

im fact i may be more five eight lol

druidh
    Free Member

AdamM – Member

With very rare exceptions, 29er frames designed for persons shorter than that also seem to introduce some, er, rather interesting design features and, to my mind, look f’ing awful as a result of a few compromises too far. It’s not that 29er frames cannot be designed for shorter people, rather that they never look as nice as a 26″ wheeled bike designed for the same rider.

You have a point. There was that clown-bike 29er someone had built for their diminuitive wife/SO.

rOcKeTdOg

you’d be better off with 24″ wheels Colin

😉

*looks down from 6ft 2″*

druidh
    Free Member

* waves *

What’s the weather like up there?

mustard
    Free Member

Craig Hardie ( http://craig-hardie.blogspot.com/ ) of http://www.hardie-bikes.com in Funfermline is using one as his race bike this year and he’s not the tallest of riders.

Is there a “qualifying” height for 700c road bikes?! 😛

rOcKeTdOg

little people use 650b wheel road bikes

markenduro
    Free Member

Never been too sure about this, but leaning towards the ‘it doesn’t matter’ side of things. I have 1 26″ and 2 29″ bikes, they are all 18″ frames and all fit perfectly (5’11” with 32″ legs), the contact points are all in the same place, the only thing is that the 29er takes a bit more input to turn on the twisty/technical stuff than a 26″ so body weight & strength might be more of an issue, fortunately I have enough of the former…

trio25
    Free Member

I’d say no, I’m hardly tall at 5’3″ and I’m on a 29er. It has been called a clown bike but I don’t care I love it!

ton

i am considering getting one of them new fangled 36erers…… 😉

clubber
    Free Member

petty much anyone can fit a 29er but you’ll be making more compromises in handling the shorter you are largely down to the wheelbase.

Anyway, my advice would be to try if you want but don’t fall for the hype. 29ers are better at some things and worse at others. Having tried a few, i just find them less fun for my riding so will be sticking with 26″ for now (6’5″). If I started racing enduros seriously, i’d probably get a 29er and live with it being less fun but faster

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘29ers – is there a “qualifying” height?’ is closed to new replies.