Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Dyfi Enduro entries open
  • whytetrash

Nah I live in a trailer park and am Dyslexic 😉

Yeah the E5 was great last year, not sure if I’d use 2.1 speedkings again though, then again nothing could cope with the combination of gloop, rocks and endless fire road climbs any better!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I did the dyfi last year. The downs were good, but, as with all enduros, the endless fire-road ascents got me down. Good vibe though, and cheerleaders at the top of the first climb was very pleasing. 😀

For variety of riding, the Blackmill Rat-run enduro was a better mix and probably harder too.

ourmaninthenorth

Er, I ought to know more about this than I do…

What’s the distance this year? Is it 60k-ish?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its the total ascent over the course that you need to pay attention to!

😯

ourmaninthenorth

Which is approx what?

fbk
    Free Member

Last time I did it (3 years ago) my GPS (via memorymap) reckoned on around 7,500ft of climbs!!!

The descents definitely get the adrenaline pumping for the next climb though. Probably my favourite enduro.

fbk
    Free Member

And yes, total distance (include the road from/to Mach) is around 60km ish

Surfr
    Free Member

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/machynlleth/103438437681 CLick on the Show Elevation tickbox on the right hand side then scroll down to see the profile.

1001m ascent total.

Daveb575
    Free Member

Were in at 402 & 403 so it looks like it is filling up pretty fast.

Looking forward to it. Missed it last year, but did it in 06 & 07. Great event.

ourmaninthenorth

1001m ascent total

Sounds ace. I’m no climber (not at 5’7″ and 13 stone…), but that isn’t *horrendous* – I’ve done UK sportives with 3,500m+ climbing (the Tour of Pembrokeshire last year was one).

I shall look forward to staying with the folks down near Cardigan, and enjoying this enormously..!

fbk
    Free Member

Surfr – according to my tracklog the first climb was 350m (from Machynlleth) so I reckon total climbing’s got to be more than 1000. Maybe somewhere between the 2?

Either way the descents are so good you don’t really notice the climbs That much 😉

richc
    Free Member

For variety of riding, the Blackmill Rat-run enduro was a better mix and probably harder too.

Have you done the Dyfi before? as to compare the two is like comparing a 3K fun run with a mountain marathon. The Dyfi is much much easier than the Rat run in terms of distance and the difficulty of the tracks.

There was a thread on mtb-wales about them re-running the Rat Run,and I have no doubt that is would be easily the toughest Enduro in the UK, as it had something like 8,000ft of climbing in the 65K route made more difficult by it being held in April so everything was nice and tacky.

Not sure how successful it would be as people don’t like to be shown to be average fitness and ability as the course was **** brutal

Surfr
    Free Member

fbk, you could well be right. I just found that last night while worrying about the ascents. Co-worker tells me the initial climb isn’t as bad as the leg burner at Nant-yr-Arian so I’m going to train on that as its a couple miles away.

richc
    Free Member

If you can go up the 1st hill at a decent pace it does make the rest of the event more fun as you can break away from the slower riders and get a clear run on the descents.

yetirose
    Free Member

Ive got an entry no 338 i missed it last year looking forward to this year .

fbk
    Free Member

The first climb is quite a long one but it’s actually quite nice (no really!). You tend to be “paced” by the surrounding riders and it’s a great warm up before the proper off road stuff.

And as for taking the first climb quick – nonsense. There’s something amazingly satisfying about getting to the descents and “on your left”ing the XC whippets that have just steamed past you….

safely and responsibly of course 😉

and surfr – I’d agree, the climbs aren’t as tough as the leg burner – I hate that climb 🙂

richc
    Free Member

I’ve seen some top crashes by the ‘on your left’ riders and I would be amazed if you could make many places up on the 1st descent as its so crowded.

Also if you do scream on your left for gods sake make sure there is enough space to do it, I’ve lost count of the number of **** that do that and then cause a massive pile up and they steam past the queue of riders waiting for a reasonable place to overtake.

sheldona
    Free Member

Yeah, looking forward to it this yeah, SSSTu has entered me on a SS tricycle in the over 40’s cat! Niche 🙂

SSSTu has entered me

But not literally I-)

fbk
    Free Member

Agreed, the first descent needs some care due to traffic and yes you do get some complete cocks trying to over-take where they really shouldn’t (uphill as well as down) but on the whole the Dyfi is better than most I’ve done for not having too much of that kind of thing – I guess the first climb spreads people out nicely and there are lots of line choices on some of the more “interesting” descents 🙂

richc
    Free Member

Yep, the Dyfi does seem to get a nicer crowd, can’t wait 🙂

singlespeedstu

SSSTu has entered me on a SS tricycle

The ss tricycle was the only thing that stoped me falling in he’s so slack….. 😯

sheldona
    Free Member

🙂

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Was 508 a wee while ago, so it’s filling up fast.

pypdjl
    Free Member

541 now…

richc
    Free Member

did anyone actually get an email saying the entries are open? I just saw the thread on here.

BillOddie

I didn’t but I did get a Facebook message yesterday.

fbk
    Free Member

Nope, no direct email. Only one via Facebook!

juan
    Free Member

Well should I do it or should I go to SSUK?

richc
    Free Member

So there is a good chance it will be full before the email notification goes out, that will make summit cycles popular.

martyntr
    Free Member

did anyone actually get an email saying the entries are open? I just saw the thread on here.

Best way to do it, in a covert style.

I got a text from Summit an hour before it went live online

fbk
    Free Member

I guess when you’re that popular it doesn’t really matter 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Ive entered no 499 so better get riding up some more hills if there is 7,500ft of climbing 8O. Not sure if its best to camp or just drive down early on Sunday probably take 1.5 hrs from where I live.

whytetrash

I got a telegram from the Queen 3 weeks ago tipping me off!..nice to have friends in high places.

Seriously it is a bit of a mess really, did it last year so they have all my details but a post on my club (VC Melyds) site was the first I saw of it!

If summit do a mailshot now when it must be nearly full then there’s gonna be a lot of peed off folks!

mattrm
    Free Member

@richc – No email here and I definitely signed up.

Really hacked off that I missed it as I’d been checking the website every few days, didn’t realise the entries would go so quickly. Good thing I didn’t book time of work ready for it.

emac65
    Free Member

I logged, 5,690ft of climbing with an ave climb of 6% & a max of 21% last year…..

dazh

Oh FFS! Just found out last night that entries opened and then closed! Been checking the summit cycles website for weeks on an almost daily basis as well. Got no email either.

v. p*ssed off. This was the one event I was really looking forward to this year.

richc
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much Daz as closer to the event loads of people drop out and you can usually pick up a spare entry (I managed to get 3, pretty easily as I missed the notification last time)

holeyroller
    Free Member

Sorry to all who missed out re the lack of ‘entries open’ email, the guys who run the entries/mailshots for us had a problem with their mail server.
    We asked them to run the mail shot a few hours before we opened entries, but by the time they realised there was a problem the event was full…and that was after we added an extra 100 places. So, once again, sorry, and we will make sure it goes out for next year. Which will bring the aditional problem of how to fit 2000+ people into an event for 700…..Cheers

Joe H

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Dyfi Enduro entries open’ is closed to new replies.