Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • 29er trail hardtail?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

Trek Stache?

messiah
    Free Member

I’m tempted by a trail 29er… but currently not sure what to make of the 29er trail bike market… I’ve not ridden any so my view is subjective… yet still I’m interested… or perhaps not… I have the following reservations due to where and how I ride…

Forks I’ve found 32mm stantioned forks to be limiting for 26er’s so can’t imagine such a fork being any good when subjected to the forces applied to bigger wheels! Which means “for me” (gag 😳 ) a 34mm Fox fork is pretty much the only option I would consider for a trail 29er hardtail? I’m also not sure I would want the full 150mm of travel as I’ve found 130mm is enough on a 26er hardtail if the fork is stiff enough (Fox 36).

Wheels I don’t fancy having a weaker or heavier wheel than the 26er’s I curently use… which don’t tend to last me that long. 26er Flow’s are a fine light trail rim which last me for about a year but by then they are pretty much scrap. I don’t want to go heavier.

Tyres I run 26″ Conti Rubber Queens but I know they have a limited life span under me, but I will live with that for the lightness and grip compromise… and when the going gets daft at least with 26er’s I can shove on a full DH tyre. I can’t see many 29er tyres which even match RQ’s for strength never mind maxxis DH.

All that said I’m still tempted to a different wheel size… either 27.5(650b) or 29er’s… but I currently think the limiting factor will be the forest where I mostly ride and destroy equipment with stunning regularity.

Sorry to have posted my drivel on someone elses thread… but I can’t help wondering if a 29er trail hardtail is realy a viable option for someone like me?

Clobber
    Free Member

Wheels wise, flows come in 36h in 29er variety which helps

Forks wise, are you considering other manufacturers than the main 2?

Tyres wise, Plenty of knobbly stuff out there, covered by the twentynineinches.com crowd…

fenred
    Free Member

Jeebus… ^^ That QH is stunning!! *drawls*

Candodavid
    Free Member

Just had an e-mail to say the QH will be here next week…GET IN!!!!

Lucas
    Free Member

My 8 month old thread revived!

It’s still relevant as I still can’t decide what I want. I know I want a 29er, don’t know if I want a hardtail or Full sus.

Hardtail leader is the new Titus (purley based on Hype and pics).
    Full sus leader is Tallboy LT(c), based on Hype, pics and riding a friends alu one…..not sure I can justify spending that much though considering how much time I get to ride (2 young kids)

shortcut

Messiah – you must ride radcore to the power of max. Only need 130mm but destroy everything in seconds!

How about doing some videos.

smiff
    Free Member

8 month old thread … still can’t decide what I want

haha Lucas maybe you don’t need one at all then 😉

how did i miss this?
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOSCSO29V2/on_one_scandal_29er_swap_out_frame_v2

though wasn’t it cheaper before?

Gotama
    Free Member

Messiah, I’ve got P35 rims on mine which have taken a beating as I’m just shy of 15st and have a gift for casing jumps. Or there is always the enve option….

Forks, white brothers loop is meant to be pretty solid

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘29er trail hardtail?’ is closed to new replies.