Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 29 plus – tyres/choice – future proofing
  • vondally
    Free Member

So picking on the thread – fat bike pro and cons – 29 plus is the next step to look at but someone has mentioned tyres are limited so what are the options and is 29 plus likely to be catered for in a couple of years time?

scotroutes

As mention in t’other thread – why not B+?

29+ tyres are really rather tall, limiting frame design and application.

29+ has been around for almost five years now? The options for tyres are way more limited than B+ which has only been around for the past 18 months or so. I guess Surly will keep production going but, other than Trek and a couple of niche frame builders, it doesn’t seem to have caught on. I suspect the wheels/tyres just make it too “big” for the majority of the market.

taxi25
    Free Member

Of all the new wheel sizes I’d say 29+ has the least appeal. It’s got it’s fans but not really catching on with main stream riders.

fin25
    Free Member

Surly knard
    Surly Dirt Wizard
    Maxxis Chronicle
    Bonty Chupacabra
    Panaracer Fat b Nimble
    Vittoria Bomboloni

Thems the choices (mostly)

fin25
    Free Member

29 plus is very niche, only really makes sense if you’re over 6″ tall, I bloody love mine though.

I think Surly will carry on with 29 plus for the foreseeable future.

ratherbeintobago

What Scotroutes said. Am I right in thinking that most 650B+ frames will also take ‘normal’ 29er wheels/tyres?

fin25
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that most 650B+ frames will also take ‘normal’ 29er wheels/tyres?

Yes, but beware the boost hub standard…

bigh
    Free Member

I can no longer see the point of 29+

I took a short break from plus size to favour my Niner wfo as the weather improved.
    I have a Trek stache with the adjustable chainstays set to minimum, just for a change i took it out for a short blast on saturday and there’s no blummin way would I ever consider sacrificing the agility of 650b+ for the rollability of 29+.

This is of course a very limited view with very limited experience to back it up.

In short, if you’re buying new, go for 27.5+ and uber short stays

dovebiker

Yup, 29+ no use for anyone less than 6ft tall 😉

Built this as an ‘experiment’ before going full-fat – maybe ‘niche’ for some but very capable in many conditions and rolls surprisingly quick on hardpack.

takisawa2

B+ rear, 29+ front is where it’s really at.

Should I start hoarding 29+ tyres then…like I did for filament light bulbs & 4kw vacuum cleaners.

bonesetter
    Free Member

B+ rear, 29+ front is where it’s really at.

+1

andyv
    Free Member

Loving my 29+ (ish) on a Gary Fisher Sawyer frame with salsa firestarter fork.

52mm Hugo rims with a 3″ fat-b-nimble up front and a 2.4 chunky monkey to the rear. Have XC raced it but is best at natural path mile munching and bike packing.

Cheezpleez

29+ makes huge sense on the front of a rigid bike. Can’t see that changing.

BillOddie

When my Krampus got nicked I pondered replacing it with another or a Jones Plus.
    I came to the conclusion that whilst I throughly enjoyed riding it I cam e to the conclusion that the tyre choice/price/availability that was problematic at the time, wasn’t likely to change and sinking £2k of insurance money into it probably wasn’t the best idea.

I actually delayed building my Krampus up until Maxxis Chronicles were released as building it up with Knards in winter would have been daft.

I ended up with a 29er that takes 2.5 rubber and to be honest for me it’s probably a better bike for me.

sillyoldman

Maxxis have 29×3.0 Minion and HRII coming. Will be good to have some burlier tyres.

B+ has overtaken 29+ simply because of the 2 bikes in one approach (B+ or 29er). Personally prefer 29+ myself and I’m only around 5’9″.

Might be because I’ve been on 29ers for 11 yrs, so 650+ feels small? Dunno. Fitted a 29+ to the front of my Tarn – feels much better. Partly due to wheel size, and partly as my frame is pre-production with too low a BB, and the bigger wheel jacked it up closer to where it should be.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘29 plus – tyres/choice – future proofing’ is closed to new replies.