• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by oli82.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 27.5+ hardtail
  • bogwolf
    Free Member

I’m starting to shop for my next bike and would like to get a 27.5+ hardtail. One option is the new Surly Karate Monkey, but stock is a bit sketchy. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I’d prefer frame only, but would consider a full bike.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ve got a specialized fuse and it an amazing bike but is a bit pricy at £2k+ for the one I have and I have upgraded the forks… the middle one is decent value.

Although I have been looking at the nicolai argon GLF frame as a possible swap but that is even more expensive.

essexbiker
    Free Member

Sonder Transmitter FTW £300 frame only

trailwagger
    Free Member

Cannondale Beast of the east, or cujo depending on budget

rootes1

I had been looking at the Next Gen Stanton Sherpa but also Giant XTC Advanced – both take 29er or 27.5+ and both available as frame only.

mboy
    Free Member

We’ve had a lot of interest in these already… They’ve just started creeping into stock.

That’s the top end model at £2600, but the base model is only £1250 and comes with a superb spec for the money! Geometry is on the money too, short chainstays, fairly slack angles, generous reach etc.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’ve a (next gen) Stanton Sherpa with (proper) 3″ B+

[/url]Sherpa at the Fungle by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr

Available as frame only (£600), rolling chassis or full build options. Stanton do scraper i45 rims on Pro4 hubs at a reasonable price.

rootes1

mboy – new Merida’s?

core

That Merida looks tasty. Can it run conventional 29″?

Solaris can run 2.8″ tyres I think.

psycorp
    Free Member

Budget? Is 2.8″ tyre compatibility enough for you or do you want the full 3″?

bogwolf
    Free Member

@psycorp Mothing set in stone yet, i’m just after ideas. Complete bike less than 2K. Frame only i’m not so concerned as I have some parts already, and can get hold of a couple of the big ticket items (wheels and forks) at less than retail prices

mboy
    Free Member

mboy – new Merida’s?

Aye

That Merida looks tasty. Can it run conventional 29″?

Solaris can run 2.8″ tyres I think.

Aye

There’s acres of room in there with the 27.5×2.8″ Rekon. Merida don’t officially label it as 29er compatible, but unless you wanna run say 2.5″+ tyres on super wide 29er rims, it’s definitely 29er compatible too. BB height is VERY low too, so even with 29er wheels raising it by say 10mm over the 650+ it should still handle well.

We’ve got a couple of the £1250 Big Trail 600 in stock now, and an 800 too (SLX/Yari spec at £1700), and I’m waiting for the rush to happen! I know they’ve brought them in in very limited numbers, there’s not many shops at all with them, and there’s no more on their way now til spring either!

postierich
    Free Member
    vondally
    Free Member

What postierich said…..

postierich
    Free Member

😀

rootes1

merida looks good for taller riders as well as good reach and big stack.

tempting…

doug_basqueMTB.com

The Orbea Loki 7+ is worth a look. It´s got great angles and is a fun bike to ride. I rode mine loads this year, guiding big days in the big mountains. Totally loved it.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I have just bought a Travers Russ ti which is lovely!
    Building it as a 29 predominantly but thinking of plus for a later build.
    I believe 3″ tyres will fit in easily!
    Is 148 boost though and not exactly a budget frame if that’s what your after!
    Thanks,
    Max

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Beast of the East 1 here, love it! Though I was looking at a Vassago Jabberwocky to build an Alfine 650+/29+

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/vassago-jabberwocky-frame-2016-4393-p.asp

The draw of the Lefty was too strong….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LZkP9b]14494844_10153966557313225_4165495166450457365_n (1)[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Or the lovely Swift takes 650+

http://webshop.singularcycles.com/en/Products/Singular-Swift.html

Cheers Steve

matt_outandabout

Those of you with + bikes, talk to me.

What are the downsides?
    All day, big hills, trail centres and nipping through singletrack – a + HT?

I have one bike, I kind of know I could just choose a 27.5/29 ht and go. But I also know I’ve been riding big (2.35/2.4) tyres on skinny rims for a while, and appreciate the extra Cush. I’m tempted by +, but struggling to find cycle 2work, 2×10 and +….

Sonder is obvious choice, but I’m not Sram 1×11 convinced.

clubby

I’ve had one of those Merida’s (the mid range 800) for 3 weeks now, and I’m loving it. Great spec for the money and rides well. Wheels and tyres are easy to tubeless, which saved 1.5lb!

psycorp
    Free Member

I’ve said it before on here but I love my Dartmoor Primal Plus. If I was to only allowed to keep one bike it would the the Primal.

Mine runs on 3″ Bridgers and has done Peaks and Brecon rides recently without missing a beat.

The frames are bloody cheap too.

bogwolf
    Free Member

Thanks guys, loads of great stuff to consider. I think I’m gonna have to get organised and do a list with pros and cons at this rate!

twicewithchips
    Free Member

I have a Sonder. I love it.

It seems to work pretty well pootling, bothy trips and round Blairadam and the like – I don’t exactly shred the gnar, so haven’t had it at a trail centre yet. Very comfortable, the 1×11 seems to work just as well as anything I’ve used. Think I said on here before that my first ride on it included 3x strava PBs.

Neil at Alpkit was very helpful too, which makes the whole thing easier.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

matt_outandabout
    Those of you with + bikes, talk to me.

Mine (Cannondale BotE1) replaced a Singular Swift fitted with 29×2.4’s running an 8 speed Alfine (converted to commuter now)
    I’ve found it up on grip, and I hold lines better on the bendy stuff while going faster.
    Climbing on rough stuff is great, the lower ratio I have wth the 1×11 compared to the Alfine is nice on the fire road climbs, I can’t really compare to a similar ratio’ed 2.4. I have dropped some speed on climbs as I’m not pushing a harder gear…and blowing my hoop at the top….

Can’t comment on all day but done 3-4 hrs fine with the WTB Bridger tyres fitted, they roll surprisingly good, my initial test was on a road loop and it shocked me tbh.

Downside is weight (tyres/wheels/tubes) and weak sidewalls if you are turbo aggressive. They are also critical on tyre pressure, I ran a bit too low and had the the sidewall folding but an extra 1psi and it was fine. I’m yet to go tubeless and I’m not riding enough atm.

If you’re the kids of person not bothered about a bit of weight they are a great laugh.

Cheers, Steve

rOcKeTdOg

psycorp – Member
    I’ve said it before on here but I love my Dartmoor Primal Plus. If I was to only allowed to keep one bike it would the the Primal.

Cracking looking frame too

siwhite
    Free Member

Not a HT owner, but I have + tyres on a Stumpjumper. As Steve mentioned above, pots of grip both cornering and climbing and very comfy. Rolling resistance is a bit higher than a skinny tyre, but the fun and comfort more than makes up for it.

Tyre pressures are critical. My Park Tools track pump’s pressure gauge over reads significantly at low pressures – at least 20%. I bought a cheap standalone pressure gauge like THIS ONE and it makes getting pressures bang on. You’ll need to ditch the schraeder adapter, and instead fit a small diameter length of rubber hose. For reference, I run between 12 and 13 psi at Swinley without any significant tyre roll (that I could feel) and the grip around corners was splendid.

I found this video interesting…Here

smogmonster

Genesis Tarn 20 or Pace RC127.5+ would be my preference

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

smogmonster – Member
    Genesis Tarn 20 or Pace RC127.5+ would be my preference

Yep that Pace looks mean (same steel as the Stanton but a cheaper price?), there is a nice lot of choice around atm.

Cheers, Steve

bogwolf
    Free Member

Pace and Stantons are both ticking a whole load of boxes for me right now.

Big tyres, long travel, ‘modern’ geometry, steel, option for SS setup.

orena45

The Mondraker Vantage is a huge amount of fun on the downs, I had a test ride on one recently…review on my blog.

For something a bit more ‘all day’, the Mondraker Prime R+ is a nice bike and one I’m considering for the future

pickle
    Free Member

just had a look at those Dartmore’s and they look like they’re made of girders, look like they’ll rattle your fillings out on one run.

rOcKeTdOg

just had a look at those Dartmore’s and they look like they’re made of girders, look like they’ll rattle your fillings out on one run.

You don’t want a baggy frame when running + tyres at the pressures you should be running them

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

look like they’ll rattle your fillings out on one run.

Nah…. x3.0 tyres will numb that….

I almost didn’t buy my crack & fail due to being made of aluminium but I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I do still prefer the looks of steel tubes though.

Cheers, Steve

oli82
    Free Member

Had one of those meridas for a week now – ace fun! Bags of grip, and you can get away with more seated pedalling compared to my old 26″ hardtail. Whilst you can’t quite get away with as much as a full squash it’s not far off…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ hardtail’ is closed to new replies.