Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 483 total)
  • 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0?
  • ransos
    Free Member

“All that demostrates is that you don’t know how to use your calculator properly. “

I entered it in exactly the same way on excel, and got 26.

I’m perfectly aware of how to get the correct answer on my calculator. But that relies on using a convention, which as I said, isn’t maths.

ransos
    Free Member

GrahamS

it’s just a convention, not maths. The argument about maths being right or wrong is irrelevant.

y = mx + c

So is that:

y = m (x + c)

or

y = (mx) + c

??

How about:
    1 + 3²

So is that 10 or 16?

The convention IS maths.

ransos
    Free Member

It’s a convention to tell you where the parentheses are. Not maths.

molgrips
    Free Member

Operator precedence is part of maths.

mogrim

GrahamS may be an Apple loving freak, but he’s 100% right on the fact that the convention is maths.

antigee

isn’t maths

pedant point – correct isn’t it arithmetic?

WackoAK
    Free Member

pedant point – correct isn’t it arithmetic?

Arithmetic is a “branch” of mathematics 😉

verses

teamhurtmore – Member

Is this the perfect STW thread?

1. Deviation from MTB
    2. Interesting question (albeit it with hidden trap)
    3. Evidence that threads can be misinterpreted (the zeros, read this as an oral question, the 26s as a written one)
    4. Errors
    5. Debate
    6. Abuse
    7. Defensiveness
    8. Bigotry
    9. Ya, boo, sucks
    10. Finally humour

It fails perfection on one point… It wasn’t mistakenly posted in the Bike Forum…

funkynick

As I said earlier… and in agreement with Graham and the others just above…

Without convention there is no mathematics.

I could work in gribbles and farks but without there being some convention that allows you to interpret what those mean, then it’s pretty much all meaningless.

Oh, and it doesn’t tell you where the parentheses are, they could be added in but are wholly unnecessary as the precedence of the operators already contains that information.

miketually
    Free Member

maths

Or math?

ebygomm
    Free Member

they could be added in but are wholly necessary as the precedence of the operators already contains that information.

Wholly necessary?

Make your mind up 🙂

GrahamS

Oh, and it doesn’t tell you where the parentheses are, they could be added in but are wholly [un]necessary as the precedence of the operators already contains that information.

Ed Zackerly.

Also the parentheses are part of the same “convention” anyway, as they are the P in PEMDAS (or the B in BODMAS).

If you understand that you do the bit in brackets first then you are already following the convention.

Or math?

Only if you study mathematic.

funkynick

ebygomm… I have no idea what you could mean…

😉

16stonepig
    Free Member

I only just noticed that the new windows calculator does operator precedence for you. It seems like cheating to me – you should know how to interpret it and enter it accordingly.

Just for fun I tried it in SQL Server as well:

select 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2*0

———–

(1 row(s) affected)

ChrisHeath

Type it as written into Windows calculator will get you 0.

Not on modern Windows (i.e. Windows 7)

XP here. Open calculator. ‘View’ dropdown. Select ‘scientific’. Type it in and out pop the correct answer. Which is 26.

portlyone

Born to a maths teacher, it’s 26 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit, speaking as a software engineer, I would ALWAYS put brackets in anything like this. Not because the computer needs them, but because I know my fellow engineers are idiots may not have had their coffee when they read it

For something that complicated maybe, but would you use parentheses for
    output = input + offset * offsetScale;
    ?

GrahamS

Yeah I probably would aracer.

output = input + (offset * offsetScale);

In fact our coding standards insist on it and I’d pull someone up in a code review if they didn’t do it.

It shouldn’t be needed, but anything that makes someone stop and think even for a second while reading simple code like that should be eliminated.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

elf’s quiet…..
    Thankfully

Probably off spoiling someone else’s thread, which he didn’t understand either.

Diddums. Someone stole your dinner money too? 😆

Yay! Someone has learned something. AND a pretty girl talked to me. About Maths!
    My day is complete.

(Flushes Graham’s head down the bogs. Tips contents of his school satchel (not sports bayg like normal kids, a flipping satchel ffs…) into urinal. Gives Graham a wedgie in front of the girls. Blows smoke in Emsz’ face, knowing this will undoubtedly make her fancy him)

GrahamS

*sobs*

I thought we’d agree to be friends after I made you £600?

You’ve totally ruined my favourite jotter cover now.
    My mum will be so cross.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jotter?

Jotter???

Gis it ear…

(Grabs it, sets light to it)

nedrapier

ransos – Member
    The answer using conventional notation is obviously 26. But as has already been pointed out – it’s just a convention, not maths.

Maths is a collection of coventions. Some of them contradict, some of them don’t. Unless you want to not care about anything with numbers in, you’d better start using the standard set of conventions for standard questions.

My answer’s 32.

Base 8 and BODMAS

aracer
    Free Member

In fact our coding standards insist on it and I’d pull someone up in a code review if they didn’t do it.

Really? Fairly sure I’ve never had a coding standard which insisted on that. To be fair I usually do put in unnecessary braces to make it more explicit, but I doubt I would for that.

GrahamS

(Grabs it, sets light to it)

Nooooooo…. Optimuuuuussssss…. Bumblebee…. Shockwave… … whyyyyyyy?

GrahamS

Really? Fairly sure I’ve never had a coding standard which insisted on that

Yep – financial, military and medical embedded software – we are pretty strict about anything that can cause confusion.

toppers3933
    Free Member

111111111×111111111=

No calculators.

wwaswas

financial, military and medical embedded software

all at once? that must be confusing?

GrahamS

123456..can’t be arsed counting the 1’s….654321

GrahamS

all at once? that must be confusing?

Yep. Soldier gets shot and we work out if the budget will cover his medical expenses 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Or is it binary?

aracer
    Free Member

financial, military and medical embedded software

Hmm – I’ve done stuff like that – maybe I didn’t read the coding standard properly (then again, you’re possibly talking about safety critical software, which wasn’t the case for most of what I did, and changed the game considerably when it was).

aracer
    Free Member

111111111×111111111=

emsz
    Free Member

Elf,

Loling at the school thing. I would have helped GrahamS.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah Aracer’s right (maybe); I missed off a 1 in each line. Thought it was 8 1’s instead of nine. 😳

Bloody tricky to see on the screen tbh.

Calculator gives an error on that sum anyway. Too much for it poor little thing. 🙁

Enough already. Mind-stretching but I’ve got ADHD. Probbly why I never really enjoyed Maffs much.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I would have helped GrahamS.

(Feels spurned. Gets angry, Stabs nerdy maffs kid in eye with biro. Is taken out of lessons and made to see Educational Psychologist. Again)

GrahamS

you’re possibly talking about safety critical software

Yep. MISRA standards plus some of our own. Generally very strict.

I would have helped GrahamS.

Yaaay! Can you help me wring my satchel out?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh… my beautiful retina…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

elf’s quiet…..
    Thankfully

Probably off spoiling someone else’s thread, which he didn’t understand either.

Diddums. Someone stole your dinner money too?
    No i go home for lunch.

Its just getting a bit tedious you jumping in threads that you’re clearly not interested in, yet feel you need to disrupt the discussion and make smart ass comments in the direction of those who understand whats being said.
    Whilst you do make valid points on other threads, you let yourself down on this thread by trying to be clever and take the micky out of others. Its a form of bullying and isn’t wanted or needed here. 🙄

GrahamS

bigyinn for Head Boy 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not likely, they caught me with matches last week 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0?’ is closed to new replies.