Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 483 total)
  • 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0?
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

In the spirit of genuine enquiry, how many people can recall instances of needing to remember BODMAS in their working lives? All I have is a dim recollection from school that has never been used since. I am quite prepared to accept that this may be unusual.

Yesterday, when I was writing a very simple script to check whether a given number in a sequence was even or odd.

Also when I wanted to buy a sandwich and needed to know if I had £2.30 or £34,000 in change in my pocket.

LHS
    Free Member

While we’re here, assuming you have a full driving licence, without looking it up what’s the stopping distance of a normal car at 60mph? You know, one of those pieces of information you were taught once and have never needed since. If you get it wrong, can I start a thread to take the piss out of you and complain about Broken Britain?

There is a difference between learning a fact and learning a rule.

aracer
    Free Member

The world could have defined addition and subtraction as having precedence over multiplication and division.

No it couldn’t – it’s far more fundamental to the whole way maths works.

But still very few of us would ever see an expression like “2 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 * 0” which – don’t ignore this point because it’s important – is designed to trip people up.

Yes, but it’s quite clearly designed to trip people up. Hence anybody with any sense at all would look at it quite carefully. The issue being people who don’t know the correct way to do it when they do think about it carefully (and then attempt to justify their incorrectness).

While we’re here, assuming you have a full driving licence, without looking it up what’s the stopping distance of a normal car at 60mph? You know, one of those pieces of information you were taught once and have never needed since. If you get it wrong, can I start a thread to take the piss out of you and complain about Broken Britain?

Ner, ner, ner – strawman alert, strawman alert.

ransos
    Free Member

While we’re here, assuming you have a full driving licence, without looking it up what’s the stopping distance of a normal car at 60mph

240 feet. About as useful in my everyday life as remembering BODMAS. Why is my brain cluttered with such useless facts?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Should I be ashamed that I can no longer speak Latin?

ecce in pictura est puella. 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Also when I wanted to buy a sandwich and needed to know if I had £2.30 or £34,000 in change in my pocket.

No you didn’t.

thomthumb
    Free Member

That means it’s consistent, not that it isn’t arbitrary. The world could have defined addition and subtraction as having precedence over multiplication and division.

no.

in your pocket.

2 x £1 coins
    0 x £2 coins.

how much cash do you have. a) £0 b) £2

there is a reason that we do it like this. 🙂

GrahamS

I get your point Bez, but the whole idea that this is some arcane piece of knowledge that no one actually uses still sticks in my craw.

As folk keep saying, people do this all the time with change and just don’t realise it.

Going back a bit, you said an equation like:

y = c + mx

Is obvious because it doesn’t actually have a multiplication sign in it. Odd, but fair enough.
    So what do you do when you need to stick some figures in that?

Say I tell you “Right Bez, m = 1.4545 and c = 10, what is y when x is 6.2352

Okay you might not write down the expanded equation with a multiply sign in it, but you’re presumably going to reach for a calculator (unless you’re better at multiplying in your head than me) which means you’ll be needing to press that multiply button at the correct point and you’ll need to know what order to enter it in.

No?

Bez

As folk keep saying, people do this all the time with change and just don’t realise it.

No. Absolutely irrelevant, and this is key to the whole discussion.

They do the maths, yes. They don’t write down an expression on paper. That’s one of my key points – the ability to do something is not the ability to read an expression of the act.

Take Prince as an example. Love or loathe his music, anyone who’s seen or heard him live should attest to the fact that he’s a musical genius – plays just about every instrument, each of them better than most people play one, and is one of the most prolific writers on the planet into the bargain. But allegedly can’t read standard musical notation. This does not make him incapable of “doing music”, though it would – by definition – make him illiterate in the context of standard notation. They’re quite different.

Picking coins out of your pocket and figuring out what you’ve got is the act of doing some maths, and is absolutely not the act of expressing the operation you performed in a specific notation, nor is it the act of reading an expression that someone has written to describe in atomic detail the process they performed in figuring out whether they could afford a sandwich.

Going back a bit, you said an equation like y = c + mx is obvious because it doesn’t actually have a multiplication sign in it. Odd, but fair enough.

It’s no more or less inherently obvious. It’s arguably more obvious to those who “do maths”, but by virtue of being more familiar.

Ner, ner, ner – strawman alert, strawman alert.

An arguably poor analogy, but not a straw man; since I’m not distorting the opposing argument, I’m merely seeking to test it against an alternative scenario.

DezB
    Free Member

Hugely impressive this is still going

Yeah, but what is it about ?

DenDennis
    Free Member

But still very few of us would ever see an expression like “2+2+2+2+2 * 0” which – don’t ignore this point because it’s important – is designed to trip people up.

FTFY 😛

aracer
    Free Member

An arguably poor analogy, but not a straw man; since I’m not distorting the opposing argument, I’m merely seeking to test it against an alternative scenario.

You’re suggesting your alternative scenario is directly equivalent, hence strawman.

Bez

No it couldn’t – it’s far more fundamental to the whole way maths works.

Well… yes, though I’m disappointed you didn’t go to the effort of an example 🙂

Bez

You’re suggesting your alternative scenario is directly equivalent, hence strawman.

Touché 🙂

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

if you travel 100 miles north, 100 miles east, 100 miles south and 100 miles west, you don’t end up where you started.

Provided you start in the right place you do.

I know you’re right, but racking the ole grey matter as to where you have to be for it to work. Certainly not in this latitude.

Clong
    Free Member

My take on it that the question is poorly constructed. Its unusual to see a mathmatic expresion like that id say.

Using the money in the pocket/shop keeper example, would you pull out a handful of 2p and then go i have 2+2+2+2+2 etc= 48p or 24 x 2 = 48p. Fairly certain we would all count how many 2p we had, and do the multiplication.

Using algrebra, would you use a+a+a+a+a+a or 6a?

When i first looked at the question, i struggled to count the number of 2’s that appear in the question, always have done on a cumputer screen. My eyes just lose focus for some reason and i usually have to count them a few times to make sure im consistent.

RealMan
    Free Member

ITT: Idiots.

Bez

I know you’re right, but racking the ole grey matter as to where you have to be for it to work. Certainly not in this latitude.

Start at any point 50 miles south of the equator.

GrahamS

They do the maths, yes. They don’t write down an expression on paper. That’s one of my key points – the ability to do something is not the ability to read an expression of the act.

That doesn’t matter. As I just said with my example, you might not need to write that down, but you do need to enter it into a calculator, which means you will use the multiply button and you will need to enter it in the right order*

*(or if you have a flashy scientific calculator that does precedence for you then you’d still need to know it to have any idea if the calculated answer is roughly correct or not)

And don’t tell me that “normal people” don’t do sums like these.

Bez

I’m frankly disappointed that no-one has accused me of sustaining a devil’s advocate position purely to cover the fact that I’d forgotten something I learned 30 years ago. No wonder this forum’s rich pickings for trolls 🙂

GrahamS

My take on it that the question is poorly constructed. Its unusual to see a mathmatic expresion like that id say.

I think everyone agrees it is designed to trip you up. That’s sort of the point of the exercise. But I think most folk would realise it may not be quite what they think and give it a second look.

Something simpler like 2 + 3 x 5 is not designed to trip you up, but it sounds like some of the forumites would get it wrong (it’s 17, not 25).

Bez

As I just said with my example, you might not need to write that down, but you do need to enter it into a calculator, which means you will use the multiply button and you will need to enter it in the right order

But you presumably remember the days when we wrote (as we still do, of course) “sin 90 = 1” but calculator syntax was “90 sin = 1”?

People struggled a bit when they first used a calcuator for trig because they understood the operation perfectly well but they didn’t know the syntax. It wasn’t that the calculator’s syntax didn’t make sense, it’s just that people had never used it.

You can understand how to count your change without needing to understand arithmetic syntax.

I wonder how many people there are who (a) would struggle with working out “501 – 20 – 20 – 20 x 3” and (b) would calculate darts scores in a fraction of the time that any of us would. I would guess quite a few.

GrahamS

m frankly disappointed that no-one has accused me of sustaining a devil’s advocate position

I considered it but I’m happy enough to play “Devil’s Prosecutor” 😀

Regarding the car one: don’t you start 25 miles south west of the north pole? 😀

ebygomm
    Free Member

Tom has 5 apples, Dick and Harry each have 8 apples, they pool them together and divide them equally between them.

‘Normal people’ would correctly do the sum by adding 5 + 8 + 8 and then dividing by 3

I’m sure a fair percentage would not know that it should be written (5+8+8)/3

It doesn’t stop them being able to do the sum though.

GrahamS

To use your own argument against you. Most people don’t need trig in their day to day lives, therefore:

Bez

25 miles south west of the north pole

South-east, surely? 😉

GrahamS

Oops. Just re-read the question:

if you travel 100 miles north, 100 miles east, 100 miles south and 100 miles west, you don’t end up where you started.

So yes, 50 miles south-west of the north pole. I think. Probably.

Normal people don’t do this. It’s too cold and their tyres get stuck. 😉

Bez

Oh hang on, I thought you were being cleverly facetious. There is no “south west of the north pole”. At the north pole, there is no west and no east – and, indeed, no north.

If you start 50 miles from the north pole (all such points being directly south of it) you can’t go 100 miles north. You can go 50 miles north and keep going on the same circumference for a further 50 miles, which takes you to 50 miles south of the pole on the opposite longitude. From there, 100 miles east takes you to some other point 50 miles south of the pole, and then you head 100 miles south. You’re now 150 miles from the pole and no amount of westerly travel will get you to your original point 50 miles south of the pole.

The only answer is “50 miles south of the equator”.

Tsk. Basic navigation. If I may hoist you by your own paraphrased petard, “Who says standards of navigation are slipping eh?” 😉

GrahamS

But one can still be south and west of it though, even if south and west make no sense when you are actually standing directly on it.

Can’t you?

*confused*

Edit: ah right now I get you. Normal people don’t do this 😀

Bez

one can still be south and west of it though

No. You can never be to the east or west of either pole, only to the south of the north pole or north of the south pole, or standing on either.

richmtb

This thread just keeps on giving.

I must admit when I glanced at the problem I straight away thought “0” but the third post down was “What’s the operator precedence?”

Then I remembered you do multiplication / division first.

So of course there is absolutely no shame in not remember operator precedence but going “Ner, ner, nerrr! I’m not listening, maths is for geeks!” When you are told the correct answer and why is pretty pathetic really.

And appealling to the argument that no one would ever write an expression that way misses the point entirely. This one is written this way to see if you know how to work it out or probably more importantly that you accept the correct answer when its pointed out to you.

Oh and southwest of the north pole – classic

DenDennis
    Free Member

greyman
    Free Member

Top entertainment lads !
    GrahamS – I remember being taught this as a kid of course, and all subsequent use thereof from basic algebra onwards. All my life it’s just been ‘obvious’ I guess.
    But we never used an acronym at school though, so I’ve learned something, ta ! …

Oh, and Bez wins, for the avoidance of doubt 😉

mrben100
    Free Member

(B)less (M)y (D)ear (A)unt (S)ally

Is how we were originally taught it at school to remember – no sign of O and M and D the other way round.

How come this is still going on?

GrahamS

(B)less (M)y (D)ear (A)unt (S)ally

Had they not invented Exponents/Orders when you were at school?

Sure it wasn’t “Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally”?
    That’s a common version (P=Parenthesis, E=Exponent).

M and D the other way round.

Yeah, doesn’t matter which way round the M and D are, or the A and S for that matter.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hugely impressive this is still going

Yeah, but what is it about ?

It’s all about insecure types trying to assert themselves and prove that they are somehow superior to other people, by ridiculing and belittling others.

Many of them seem to lack any sense of perspective or even a sense of humour. One sad old perv even tried to get a young lass to take her clothes off. 🙁

It’s funny though, in a ‘watching a nerdy kid have a tantrum after you’ve thrown all his exercise books all over the classroom’ type of way. 😀

I’ve enjoyed it immensely. Coon’t actually give a fig about the original sum thing though really, I’ll be perfectly honest. It din’t matter before and it don’t matter now, xept in the minds of a few anally retentive socially inadequate types…

avdave2

Tom has 5 apples, Dick and Harry each have 8 apples, they pool them together and divide them equally between them.

‘Normal people’ would correctly do the sum by adding 5 + 8 + 8 and then dividing by 3

I’m sure a fair percentage would not know that it should be written (5+8+8)/3

It doesn’t stop them being able to do the sum though.

You can’t just post that and not give the answer!

GrahamS

It’s all about insecure types trying to assert themselves and prove that they are somehow superior to other people, by ridiculing and belittling others.

Says the man flushing my head down the loo and giving me a wedgie to try to look cool in front of the girls 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I never excluded myself from any of it, Graham. 😐

I am at least open and honest about my failings/issues. Unlike most on here….

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0?’ is closed to new replies.