Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • -20c winter cycling gloves
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

What’s the best for when It’s seriously brassic. Down to 3c here this morning and my new decathlon gloves ain’t doin’ nuffin’.

It rarely gets as cold as -20c but it does happen. Coupled with a damaged index finger which is now super sensitive to the cold I’m looking for some inspiration for commuting gloves. Ta!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

product no longer available my lobster loving cyber friend

steezysix
    Free Member

Pogies are the answer. If you have gloves that are thick enough to keep your hands warm at -20°C, changing gears and braking is a nightmare. Pogies keep the wind off and you can wear a surprisingly thin glove underneath.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yep pogies is it

mmannerr

You were in .se? Xc skiing brands have lobster gloves, Craft etc.
    Never tried pogies but they have their fans. Cheap ones have been available from Biltema.

Bez

These are ace, if you can find any.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-husky-lobster-gloves/rp-prod85373

I confess I’ve not tested mine down to -20, I think they’ve done -9, but they’re an order of magnitude warmer than any other gloves I’ve used and (on drop bars at least) it’s still easy to change gear and brake.

whitestone
    Free Member

Pogies.

But be careful with what you get. I got the Alpkit ones for this year’s Rovaniemi race and they were OK at -6C but when it got cold they couldn’t cope. My wife had the Revelate ones and didn’t have any problems. The Revelates weren’t that much more than the Alpkit.

They are your hands.

tjagain

aldi winter gloves I find suprisingly warm. Never needed more even in well sub zero temps

dovebiker

Pogies – ridden bare-handed at -20 and below in the arctic, or simply with a lightweight thermal glove. The problem with a thick, insulated glove, particularly with any form of vapour barrier is they don’t breathe enough and can get clammy and cold. I’d avoid the cheaper, flat-shaped pogies as they’re hard to get in and out – plus get something that has a fixing point at the end of the handlebar to stop them flopping about.

Gary_M
    Free Member

aldi winter gloves I find suprisingly warm. Never needed more even in well sub zero temps

The aldi gloves are great but for me they just aren’t that warm when it’s below 0. I’ve ridden in -10 with a pair of specialized sub zeros with the roubaix liners underneath and was okay. Not sure they would cope with -20 though.

Aldo lobster claw style also good in minus temps.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers all. yes in .se

Pogies is a catch all name for that type of glove then? Is there a specific model I should go for? will look at the revelate ones.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pogie

Bez those nothwave ones, I suspect my poor sensitive index finger will throb with pain in those, but thankyou.

Minus 20c is a rarity, its happened perhaps 8 times last year (a few minus 28c days also, yikes) . but yeah minus 10c is regular.

medoramas
    Free Member

Are pogies like SPDs for your hands? 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

jesus just looked at the price of the pogies!

jam-bo

how much are new hands? 😉

Bez

I suspect my poor sensitive index finger will throb with pain in those

YMMV but I suffer from terrible circulation in my fingers and toes and I’ve never had any fingers go cold or numb in these. But it’s a shame that the 3+1 configuration is (I think) discontinued: it works really well.

Still haven’t fixed my feet, though: even with nice roomy Northwave Artic boots and thick thermal socks I get numb toes after a while, even up around zero.

scotroutes

howsyourdad1 – Member
    jesus just looked at the price of the pogies!

You can buy cheaper/less thermally efficient ones from hotpog.co.uk. I’ve used the very cheapest ones for the past 4 winters here in the Cairngorms. We don’t get -20C but -10C isn’t rare and I never use anything other than a thin liner glove with them (and that because your hands freeze when suddenly exposed to the cold for any reason)

Bez

Someone should Kickstarter a device to power heated grips from a bottle dynamo 😉

(Actually I’ve long wondered about gently heated pedals/shoes via some form of tiny dynamo on the pedal…)

prawny

I had some Gore winter gloves that I had to sell because they are far far far too warm for me.

I reckon Pogies would be great though, I’ve thought about some for my commute but the drop bar ones are too rich for my blood.

dovebiker

I’ve got Revelate Design ones – made in Alaska! Having done a couple of unsupported arctic winter expeditions they’re essential – handling fuel stoves and cold metal at low temperatures wreaks havoc on your fingers. An insulated glove / mitt would be OK for shorter rides, but I find they can get clammy and some have a habit of turning themselves inside out when removed and a right faff to re-fit. A lightweight thermal glove inside an insulated mitten is better.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@scotroutes these bad boys?

Classic Pogies

whitestone
    Free Member

Speciality item with low production run = high price

scotroutes

@howsyourdad1- that’s the ones I use. Basic, a couple of minor niggles (as mentioned above) but cheap. Even just spending a wee bit more for the lined ones would still be a billy bargain.

scotroutes

@howsyourdad1- that’s the ones I use. Basic, a couple of minor niggles (as mentioned above) but cheap. Even just spending a wee bit more for the lined ones would still be a billy bargain.

scotroutes

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ta ok. For context it’s for a half hour commute to work, with perhaps the occasional jaunt on my MTB if there’s isn’t too much snow in the woods and I don’t fancy XC skiing .

No arctic expeditions for me! Not yet anyhow

steezysix
    Free Member

@howsyourdad – if you’re in Sweden, try XXL if you have one near you! They do a set of neoprene ones for £20ish which will be fine for short commuting use. Link
    I’ve got a set which have been fine for me in Olso last winter.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cheers steezy , XXl around 500m from my job so I can check them out. I’ve also been told by a work collegue to put hockey tape on my brake levers, for insulation from the metal.

eulach

The planet x lobster ones do me for a 1hr commute. Unless it’s below -5 I can’t wear them because they’re too sweaty.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I have pogies for kayaking in the winter. I have only worn the fleece inners a couple of times. Just the outers are really warm. There’s a reason why motorbike couriers have those massive ones in the winter I guess. Never heard of them for bikes, but I really like the idea of it as my wife won’t ride in the winter due to ‘sensitive hands’. I’m on the hunt for some now too – thanks!

HansRey

i’ve a set of Burton gloves, which have had regular use (over 150 full days) snowboarding in finland. They were their warmest rated gloves and finger-style. I don’t know what they’re called, but they’re leather, with a goretex membrane and cost about 140€.

A typical day there for me was -10 to -15, although i did manage -30 for 3 consecutive days in Saariselka. In both cases, the gloves were fine and dexterity was OK. The memorable problem was windchill around my head.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I use OR heated gloves for fat biking in Canada. These ones They are expensive but really good as I can turn down the heat once working hard (uphill) or add to the heat for descending.

For commuting I use Bar mitts which are cheap neoprene pogies. I do get a bit nervous that I won’t get my hands out in a crash but not happened yet.

robcolliver
    Free Member

http://45nrth.com/products/apparel/cobrafist

these will keep me riding for about 4 hours in minus 20 before the combination of sweating on the way up and chilling on the way down make me stop. They attach to the end of the handlebars and are easy to get in and out of. There is even a pouch so you can store some snacks.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers all. Cobra fist is a winning name!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘-20c winter cycling gloves’ is closed to new replies.