Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 2013 specialized bikes will mostly be 29".
  • racefaceec90

apologies if someone has already done this.was perusing through the 2013 bike shop specialized guide today at my local (ish) shop.apart from a few bikes (enduro),everything else will be 29″ only.
    all the stumpjumper (both ht/fs are 29″ only) as are the epics also.

now i admit that i haven’t ridden a 29″ bike,but if i had the money to buy a new spesch,it would be nice to still have the choice.
    what do you think about them (almost) going 29″ only?

LMT
    Free Member

Saw this thread on Bikeradar a couple of weeks back. Speshi’s odd choice but im sure market leading made me go out and buy the Campber Expert in the sales i was going to wait for a 2013 model but as no 26″ went for the 2012.

Best decision ive made in ages, its a great bike! as for next year well someone had to do it.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Wow, that’s hard to believe! Guess they’re not so concerned about us British then… 🙄

I always like Spesh too! Hmmm

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

More people wanting 29ers so why not go for it.

shortcut

Why would you want little wheels in the UK and not anywhere else?

Big wheels all the way here.

crush83
    Free Member

Penny farthings all round!

PrinceJohn

all the stumpjumper (both ht/fs are 29″ only)

26 & 29 options for the stumpy

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Yet despite this sway towards big wheels, they still have way more 26″ tyre choices, get it sorted Spesh!!

racefaceec90

PrinceJohn ah apologies 😳 that’s a relief 😆 no offence to all of you who ride the clown wheels 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

650b next year.

crazy-legs

Yeah, I saw the lean towards 29ers a few weeks back when I was looking through the just-released 2013 range and it put me right off.

Their new CruX looks very nice though and if they get the paint schemes sorted for the road bikes (instead of the garish over-logoed ones they’ve had recently) then I’ll let them off the MTB abominations.

😉

tomhoward

Bet the demo won’t have clown wheels…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

650b next year.

I’m intrigued to see where it’s all going to go over the next few years. Will the different standards sort themselves out or is it just going to diversify forever?

I’d also really like to have a proper razz on a 26/29/650 version of the same/ similar bike in the magazine group test stylee.

mjsmke

This will be a big problem for me. im only 5ft5.

Maybe there will be some good deals on 2nd hand frames.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Maybe there will be some good deals on 2nd hand frames.

Doubt it there will be a boom on bmx frames after the ‘lympics.

kimbers

I’d also really like to have a proper razz on a 26/29/650 version of the same/ similar bike in the magazine group test stylee.

650b ftw!

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/Shootout_Wheel_Wars_29_vs_275_vs_26_5159.aspx

robsoctane
    Free Member

shortcut – Member
    Why would you want little wheels in the UK and not anywhere else?

Big wheels all the way here.

Haven’t you noticed that they haven’t taken off here like America? Not everyone wants big wheels but Spesh may be think that they know best, eh?

gwj72
    Free Member

I wonder how long they’d have to make 29er only bikes till they caught up with the number of (still perfectly good) 26ers they’ve made over the years?

I guess its only an issue if you have to have the latest model, it must be a spesh and you don’t believe the 29er hype. Not sure I care about those people.

PrinceJohn

PrinceJohn ah apologies that’s a relief no offence to all of you who ride the clown wheels

It is – a friend of mine bought last year’s epic due to it being last year of 26″ wheels & I’m plenty happy with last years camber especially with them all being 29er today.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m still not convinced by the wagon wheel revolution.

I’ve a new Spesh on order, but it ain’t a 29″er.

TooTall
    Free Member

Not everyone wants big wheels but Spesh may be think that they know best, eh?

It would appear that they have a fairly good understanding of the designing, making and selling of bikes. eh?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Haven’t you noticed that they haven’t taken off here like America? Not everyone wants big wheels but Spesh may be think that they know best, eh?

Depends where I ride, back home it’s probably 50/50 and the bulk of the new bikes are 29ers so I’d expect there to be even more when i get back after a year away. when I left there were 2 or 3 in a group of 30, at christmas they were 50/50. That’s a prety good “take off” to me!

‘ooop north i see less of them, although the local group seems more convinced by them, seems a combination of me copeing with the local trails on a rigid bike whilst the majority are on 4-6″ FS bikes and a couple of the fast guys switching to 29ers is rapidly changeing opinion. The LBS and club sponsor is a Spesh dealer too so I’d bet in a bigger uptake next year.

Besides spesh probably do know better, the USA market is huge compared to GB, why spend money making models that are only wanted in a small country when the take as much development time and tooling costs as popular models in a big market?

ahwiles
    Free Member

robsoctane – Member

Haven’t you noticed that they haven’t taken off here like America?

not yet.

there were lot’s of jealous 6footers on Wednesday night when Den turned up on his new yelli-screamy…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Singlespeed_Shep – Member
    More people wanting 29ers so why not go for it.

Most people sounds like “Massive Garage Clearout” in the FS section.

It would appear that they have a fairly good understanding of the designing, making and selling of bikes. eh?

If you want a spesh then you can have big wheels. If you want to stop something selling, don’t sell it. As one of the Big Brands they can just do. They will sell a lot by the number of dealers they have. Nobody buys boutique/small/funky for their first bike

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I hate to say it, but I rented a Stumpy 29er (in Santa Cruz, CA dontcher know) and spent a day on it around UCSC.
    Verdict: Now I’m perfectly happy on 26 or 29. I thought it would be a handful on tech, steep, for a relatively average sized rider, but *shock horror* it was bloody lovely. could have done with a shorter seat tube on the one I had as it didn’t drop far enough for perfect scores, but it was all in all a bloody good ride – in fact not noticeably different to my usual rides for it to make any meaningful difference to my riding style/confidence etc.
    Particularly enjoyed the self setting rear shock – shame the shop couldn’t set up the fork as well as the shock set itself :/
    *Caveat: didn’t do any jumping as I was going to the MotoGP the next day.

Spesh seem confident that they will make more profit by dropping the 26standard for their key market (the USA), so i guess the other markets will come along or go elsewhere for their next bike & spesh don’t see it as their loss. FWIW, I’d wouldn’t be surprised if Trek follow suit soon – unless they plan on capturing market share by keeping both standards worldwide.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Seems like an odd choice to me. That along with the silly shocks (sizes and eyelets) they put on bikes makes me think that my Enduro (06 with a silly shock size) may well be the last Specialized I own.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 2. 🙁

That said, I did demo a Giant Anthem 29er, and it actually rode really nicely. Didn’t get to ride it for long though as my mate had also demoed a 29er, and absolutely hated it, so we had to go back. 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘2013 specialized bikes will mostly be 29".’ is closed to new replies.