Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1×10 Chainrings for XTR M985 cranks?
  • Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Anyone know of an 88 bcd chainring that I can use with an XTR m985 crank?

I have been searching to no avail, but I’m sure someone must be making one by now.

njee20
    Free Member

I got one from Experimental Prototype – ti one, was about €40 delivered (to the UK) IIRC, guess it would be a bit more to get to you! Been really good, lasted really well. I did bend it when I snapped a chainring bolt, just bent it back with a big adjustable! Took a couple of weeks.

Homebrew do them too, don’t like the look of them quite as much, the EP ones are very plain, some people have ‘issues’ with them as a company too.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Thanks njee,

I’ve seen those and the homebrew ones. They look good – I’m just surprised that Blackspire or other such companies haven’t picked up on these yet.

I’ll have a look on the Experimental Prototype website and decide whether to stick with 2×10 or make the jump

njee20
    Free Member

Thought you had 1×10 on your Scale a couple of years back? I love it, wouldn’t go back to a double for a race bike.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I had 1×9 on my scale a few years ago, but switched to a full XTR groupset last year.
    I love the 2×10 and would probably prefer to stay with it, but I’m going through XTR chainrings once every 3 months, and at $88 (cost) a time, its getting a little silly. Also, shimano stock control in the US is pretty terrible, and I’m sometimes having to wait weeks for replacements. If I can find a 1×10 solution, then I may alternate between each set up as and when I need to

coopersport1
    Free Member

Going through XTR chainrings every 3 months! What are you doing to them??? I’ve only just replaced mine after 18 months of heavy abuse and only then because I’ve gone 1 x10.
    Anyway I’ve used Homebrewed twice now, first time excellent 3 weeks from order to delivery 2nd time 3 1/2months!!! As you have noticed though there aren’t many options!

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

coopersport – lets just say I ride more miles than you can probably even imagine 😉 I also run the 28/40 combo which means I’m in the 40t almost all the time; I’m getting almost double the life out of the small ring compared to the large.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Fair one, I only do 10-15hrs a week plus the odd 24hr race and a 7 day stage race, so probably not much in comparison. 😳
    I was running the 30-42t but it was way to much on a 29er so have a 36T Ti one from Homebrewed now and it looks like it’ll last forever

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

well I ordered a homebrew 36t ring and managed to get my hands on a XTR 40t, which means I should be set for a while.
    Will probably keep to the 2×10 set up for now and use the single ring for emergencies only.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1×10 Chainrings for XTR M985 cranks?’ is closed to new replies.