Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • 1356 – What are you reading now?
  • igrf
    Free Member

Arrived today at work, promptly forgot to bring it home, but on a quick scope it looked as good as Cornwell usually delivers, this time the events surrounding the Battle for Poitiers in the 100 years war.

The French will inevitably take the thrashing they always deserve…

So what do STW bookworms read these days, other than fifty shades of jey?

MussEd
    Free Member

Chavs – The Demonisation of The Working Class by Owen Jones. Interesting stuff. Just finished Hombre by Elmore Leonard…somewhat different but a great read nonetheless….

davidjones15
    Free Member
    avdave2

Wolf Hall – brilliant

Keva
    Free Member

The Seventh Scroll, Wilber Smith
    The Story of India, Michael Wood

boltonjon

Sacrament – Clive Barker – very good

piemonster

Scotland – A New History by Micheal Lynch

All I will say is “they started it”

igrf
    Free Member

avdave2 – Member
    Wolf Hall – brilliant

Thanks for that, I might give that a glance next, looks interesting, having dropped history at O level I seem to have an inexhaustable appetite for historical novels, hence Cornwell, he does spice them up with a bit of popularist blood, guts and shield wall action, but you do get the gist of what went on during the period.

superfli
    Free Member

You’ve gone too far this time, Sir! – Danny Bent.

I might give that Clive Barker book a read next, used to read a lot of his stuff.

cheese@4p

2 good non fiction reads if you are into the subjects:
    Rip It Up And Start Again, Post Punk 1978-1984 by Simon Reynolds
    Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald

Lifer
    Free Member

Demons – Dostoyevsky

cranberry
    Free Member

The Japanese Devilfish Girl and Other UInnatural Attractions

Griffon in Action

The former has the better plot and more believable characters.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Still half way through two books: Moby Dick, and: The Villain. Both good but I’ve just lacked time to press on

TimP
    Free Member

Tyler Hamilton – the secret race

Interesting stuff…

Gunz
    Free Member

Ken Kesey – Sometimes a Great Notion

ThePinkster

Just finished Alex’s Adventures in Numberland by Alex Bellos – a fasciniating read about the development of numbers and maths,

and

The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett & Stephen Baxter. Very interesting idea but a bit long winded.

currently reading The Picture of Dorian Grey

BoardinBob

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Just finished 3rd Game of Thrones. Pondering next choice – on ereader there’s next Game of Thrones, War Horse and The Sea (2005 Booker Prize winner). Also got Whiskey Galore, Pillars of the Earth (watching it on telly, missed first run) and something (can’t remember the title) by Christopher Brookmyre in real books

DezB
    Free Member

Gave up on Hemingway’s “For Whom the Bell Tolls” – just got bored. Now half way through the rather less prestigious Nick Hornby, “Juliet, Naked”.
    It’s alright.

luckydog
    Free Member

Just finished God is not Great by Hitchens-first bit of his stuff i’ve read, will read more.
    just starting Wilderness Dreams by Mike Cawthorne, cos i’m in Jordan and missing Scotland…
    Still reading the Screwtape Letters.

Jerome
    Free Member

Post captain – second of the Jack Aubrey novels by Patrick O’Brian.
    Master and commander is the first one..
    Only 19 more to go after this one…

hels
    Free Member

I have 4 books on the go at the moment:

The Testament of Jessie Lamb – Jane Rogers
    Snow Crash – Neal Stephenson
    Things We Didn’t See Coming – Steven Amsterdam
    Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell

Noe of which I would describe as a page turner and all vaguely Sci Fi but interesting enough !

aP
    Free Member

9% of the way through The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture 10) – Iain M Banks
    Getting going with The Mongoliad book 2
    Dipping in and out of Militant Modernism by Owen Hatherley and The Information by James Gleick.

Coyote
    Free Member

Embassytown – China Mieville. Only just started it but signs are good.

noteeth
    Free Member

Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

Wildly entertaining.

vinnyeh

Struggling to finish chapter 1 of The Casual Vacancy.
    Lehrter Station, which doesn’t seem a patch on it’s predecessors.
    King Rat, china Mieville. Just started, adn not sure which way it’s going to go, to be honest.

9% of the way through The Hydrogen Sonata (Culture 10) – Iain M Banks

Are we going to see the imminent demise of ‘on page…’ or ‘just finished chapter..’?
    Didn’t realise there was a new Culture novel out either. Might jump it to the front of the queue.

hels
    Free Member

Is the new Iain Banks in paper back or e-book ? Yay !

Let us know how the J K Rowling works out. Brave lady I reckon, hope it’s good, she isn’t exactly low profile if it’s a turkey. (and I agree with her about Scotland should stay in the union but that’s another thread much shoutier than this one)

benman
    Free Member

You’ve gone too far this time, Sir! – Danny Bent.

Good luck with that – I gave up halfway through. The guy just annoyed the hell out of me, and he managed to make an incredible journey sound repetitive and boring.

Just read the Penal Colony by Richard Herley – very good.

Reading Dividing the Great at the moment by John Metcalfe. Seems pretty good so far

TatWink
    Free Member

Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks, moving stuff

2tyred

Just finished Our Fathers by Andrew O’Hagan (been meaning to read it for ages, was brilliant) and Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (enjoyed it but not as much as The Corrections, which I adored).

Just started The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (to my shame I’ve never read it).

Waiting for The Deadman’s Pedal by Alan Warner to come out in paperback.

avdave2

Just started The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

There is very little to match it, it’s without doubt one of the best books I have ever read and his other work is pretty special to.

Northwind

Re-reading Kim Stanley Robinson’s Mars Trilogy. Which I love, but I just got to the bit in Blue Mars where I always totally lose interest, then immediately forget about when it gets brilliant again 200 pages later.

2tyred

avdave2 – Member
    Just started The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
    There is very little to match it, it’s without doubt one of the best books I have ever read and his other work is pretty special to.

POSTED 1 MONTH AGO #

You were not wrong, my good man. Woah.

Now into Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert A. Heinlein

Wishing it would end but want to finish it!

Next in queue, Animal Farm – George Orwell, because Ive never read it and feel that I should have by now!

gordimhor

Annapurna by Maurice Herzog rivetting story of the first ascent of Annapurna. The prose is a bit dated at times., but what a story They didn’t need to be told to MTFU
    🙂

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

after 4 volumes, taking a break from the game of thrones saga, now reading
    (romance of) the three kingdoms by lee guang zhong.

avdave2

I’ve finished Wolf Hall which was excellent and now it’s another John Steinbeck, Cannery Row, a recommendation from on here. 2tyred I enjoyed if that’s the right word East of Eden just as much as The Grapes of Wrath. I think alongside Robertson Davies Steinbeck is my favourite author.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Big fan of Paul’s, although he passed away in June12… 😥

Still I’ve enjoyed all his works, it’s the kind of stuff I like reading, archeological treasure hunting, political intrigue , secret sects, police blunders.. Blah blah

wordnumb
    Free Member

Extreme Metaphors – Interviews with JG Ballard 1967-2008.

willard

I’m proof reading a book a friend wrote as well as another book on cyber-warfare.

The first is pretty funny. The second is quite serious.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘1356 – What are you reading now?’ is closed to new replies.