Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 120mm trail fork, air sprung or coil?
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thinking of replacing a Manitou Black super air that must date from about 2004. Got an air spring, but because I’m a bigger rider I end up running it with such a high pressure that it doesn’t really have any small bump movement, yet it can still run through travel quite easily.

I was wondering about some of the coil sprung Rock Shok with a firm spring upgrade, would a coil spring give a better ride than an air spring?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Similar issues here, switched to a pike with X-firm spring, problem solved

lardman
    Free Member

coil springs ALWAYS give a better ride, if the fork is tuned properly. BUT, air sprung forks nowadays are pretty close.

Coil = small weight penalty, small performance increase, better reliability.
    Air = small weight gain, small performance drop, worse reliability.

If you don’t really care about weight too much, get a coil, and get a good one.

Of course, it’s all IMHO, and apparently round here you should have no gears, no suspension, and a beard.

lardman
    Free Member

By the way, I’ve tried them all (almost) and I weigh in at the bantam weight of 18 stone.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, that what a mate was telling me.

Weight isn’t an issue, more to lose off me before I get worried about how much I take off the bike, I just need to improve the ride first!

takisawa2

Being of rotund stature, & having recently gone from a X-Firm sprung Pike to an air sprung maxle Rev, I’d say…air. Pike nice & supple, but add in a 20mm axle & its quite heavy. Air sprung Maxle Rev is simply excellent.

lardman
    Free Member

Get a proper spring sourced from someone like TF Tuned, as it will make all the difference. Or better still get a cheaper fork and spend the extra getting it valved/tuned for your weight and riding style.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘120mm trail fork, air sprung or coil?’ is closed to new replies.