12 speed xtr cassette compatibility

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 12 speed xtr cassette compatibility
  • squealer

Early days I know, but does anyone know if it’s possible to use a non Shimano 12 speed cassette with the new xtr?

reason I’m asking is I won’t be paying £250 plus for a cassette and the sunrace and lower range SRAM 12 speed cassettes are a much more reasonable price.

It seems like there’s shouldn’t be a problem but I was hoping someone had any more info.

thanks.

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

almost certainly*

e13 seems the best of the bunch, in least in terms of weight

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

Yes – I have tried 12 spd Eagle and Sunrace. Both work.

Onzadog

Very interesting. I’d read on weight weenies some time back that there was about 0.1mm per gap difference which was just enough to stop it playing nicely.

Eagle cassette with XTR shifting sounds great!

squealer

Great thanks Ben, although that has just cost me £400 😂

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

So matching cassette to XTR mech/shifter? Would assume the other way round works too, the 12 sp XTR cassette with SRAM mechs.

What about the hub though? SRAM Eagle will need XD freehub surely, unless it’s NX, Sunrace 12 sp is Shimano freehub?

I assume the new Shimano 12sp freehub locks you in to the Shimano cassette for the moment. Though I like that they’ve partnered with DT Swiss (having mostly DT hubs).

Onzadog

I believe there are a couple if other hub manufacturers who have found away around the new micro spline system. I think White Industries use a ti freehub body with fewer splines and Onyx have a system that allows them to use a DT freehub.

Isn’t the XTR cassette with SRAM shifters the worst of both though?

Premier Icon howsyourdad1
    Subscriber

sunrace  CSMZ90 12 speed runs on 10 speed body. so shimano or sram work. but it doesnt have the 10 cog. the …91 (model number i’m not sure of) sunrace 10-50 cassette is sram only, but not sure it’s even out?

http://www.sunrace.com/files/catalog/files/625/Specifications%20-%20Cassettes%20MTB.pdf

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

Very interesting. I’d read on weight weenies some time back that there was about 0.1mm per gap difference which was just enough to stop it playing nicely.

yeah but thats also the case on 11 speed, and how many mix and match groups are out there in the wild?

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I ran a bike with an all new SRAM 11sp setup and had a set of Plus wheels I was experimenting with that I fitted an XT cassette to as a moneysaver, ensuring the tooth count was the same at 42T.

The wheelsets were directly interchangeable with no adjustments whatever.

If the ‘difference’ between Shimano 12 and Eagle is the same I’d expect the same result, so it will become about what freehub you choose and then a choice of cassette around that plus the mech to match the shifter you like.

I can confirm sram works with xtr 12 speed – got rid of my crappy sram mechs which are a pain in the arse to setup right!

banged the xtr on with everything else sram, and it worked instantly, no messing, much less faff to setup and the shifting is night and day difference consistently!

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Isn’t the XTR cassette with SRAM shifters the worst of both though?

I run SRAM shifters and mechs as I prefer the shifting, but XT and XTR cassettes (11 speed at present). The latter because I prefer Shimano freehub compatibility and cheaper durable cassettes. Never have an issue with it. I do go for X1 shifters though as they’re not that expensive and supposedly a bit better than GX. GX mech though is fine enough.

Onzadog

For 11 either way makes sense, but for 12, it’s the tie into shimano hub and 3 non replaceable Ali sprockets.

Onzadog

According to that link from Kustombikes, you can even mix and match shifters and mechs.

<div class=”bbp-reply-author”>benpinnick
    <div class=”bbp-author-role”>
    <div class=””>Subscriber</div>
    </div>
    </div>

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Yes – I have tried 12 spd Eagle

</div>

Nice one ben, that’s all I needed to know.

squealer

As an update I’m now running xtr 12 speed mech and shifter with sram 12 speed cassette and Shimano 11 speed chain and it all works perfectly.

parkesie

Just put 12spd xtr shifter and mech on mine, replaced sram gx and it’s works massively better than the sram on the sram cassette

andyl

how is the lever feel of the 12 speed xtr? 11 speed was disappointing.

Premier Icon fivealive
    Subscriber

anyone had any further experiences of XTR 9100 with cassettes other than shimano microspline. I’m looking for a 10-46 to go with a GS 9100 RD in 12 speed. I can only find SRAM 10-46 in XD driver available in 11 speed (GS has max 45 tooth capability).

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

I think e13 do a 9-46 or similar option. It’s pretty expensive though unfortunately.

I’m hoping XT 12spd releases soon with the 10-45 med cage option.
    Really don’t need the extra range of the 50t and would rather the shorter mech.

Premier Icon fivealive
    Subscriber

The problem with 9-46 is that the 9100 RD doesn’t go that low, Its been tried. Like you, I need that 10-45/6 option. XT may work but again will need to be microspline for Shimano to go under 11t, so will be stuck with 11-42/46t XT like today. I need to go smaller front ring 32/34 (from 36 oval today, because of frame limits) I need the 10t rear to compensate. Sadly, we are going to be looking elsewhere. Looks like I will be stuck with 10-46 SRAM 11 Speed for some time in this range.

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

Where have you seen XTR tried on a 9 tooth rear? Seems odd that it wouldn’t work.

I’ll just get microspline as I’m upgrading anyway. It’s a shame Shimano didn’t adopt XD though as it’s already well established.

Premier Icon fivealive
    Subscriber

There is a few threads on MTBR where peeps have tried it and have had to dial it out with 11 speed setting. I also read elsewhere that’s its an issue with TRS+ cassette and 9t. I’ve hunt wheels and they have stated ‘they are obtaining a license and will add microspline freehub to their range’. Will continue to use XD until shimano 12 speed better established with wheel builders. At least I can go 12 with flick of shifter switch in future.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.