Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 12 speed chain for Shimano MTB?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I take it the best option is a Shimano chain on a 12spd Shimano drivetrain?

Anyone run anything else with success (KMC, Sram etc.)?

Any difference in Shimano chains? SLX vs XT vs XTR?

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

The only difference is the coating they use with the exception of xtr which also has hollow pins.

It’s highly recommended you use a shimano chain with their 12 speed to get the best out of it as it’s the only chain that uses their new system and its superb.

5lab

my bike (sold by madison) came with a KMC chain on it that works well. I haven’t tried the shimano chains for comparison though

oceanskipper

There’s a school of thought that suggests the XT chain will last twice as long as the SLX one so even though it’s a bit spendy, it’s worth it. There’s a YouTube video with a test on somewhere…

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Try finding one though…

I did manage to find an SLX on Merlin though.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers. Yeah, went for an XT, from merlin.

joebristol

Personally I’d avoid Shimano chains if you ride in the mud. The way they are designed doesn’t let the mud out as well as other makes. I swapped my either slx or xt chain (I forget which it was) fir XX1 and it was immediately quieter ans shifted better in bad conditions.

The gold x12 Ti-ni KMC chain on my GX Eagle also shifts nicely and seems to handle mud better than Shimano 12 speed chains.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’ve run shimano 12s XT mech and shifter with XT and SRAM Eagle GX chains and I can’t tell any difference. In current climate, run what you can buy!

Northwind

XT 12 speed is fragile ime- the only chains I’ve broken in years. Seen quite a few reviews the same. I stuck the cheapest KMC on as a replacement and it shifts just as well, doesn’t break, and was cheaper.

But 12 speed chain availability is crap right now so last time I just went for a SRAM one because it was available.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘12 speed chain for Shimano MTB?’ is closed to new replies.