• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 11spd Shimano Road and MTB – compatibility
  • Rik
    Free Member

Does it work?

Currently got Shinamo 10spd STI, 10spd mtb 11-36t cassette with a 9spd mtb XT rear mech.

Is there a set up that will make a 11spd mtb cassette with 11spd STI levers?

jemima
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’m entirely answering the correct question but I think:

11-spd MTB cassette not compatible with 11-spd road shifters (MTB cassette has ‘dished’ big sprocket to fit 11 cogs on 10-spd freehub body whereas I think road has new wider freehub as big sprocket not big enough to dish)

11-spd chains are fine for road and mtb

njee20
    Free Member

Overall width of cassettes could be the same though, just achieved differently – offset large sprocket versus longer freehub body.

However that’s not the pertinent question, which is whether there’s an MTB rear mech to match the cable pull of 11 speed road STIs. I don’t know the answer.

jemima
    Free Member

True, true. I think I assumed MTB cassette would be going on road wheel…

njee20
    Free Member

Which will be fine, just needs a 10 speed spacer, confusingly.

jemima
    Free Member

I retract all my comments 😀

Rik
    Free Member

True it would be going on a DT swiss hubbed road disc wheel, currently only have a 10spd cassette body but as its dt I could change the freehub no probs. but presumed the 11spd mtb cassette would fit fine.

Rik
    Free Member

Wasnt sure if a 10spd xt rear mech would work with 11spd STIs and 11spd mtb cassette. Like it works with a 9 spd rear mech.

Not really interested in the 11-40t cassette but the 11-36t 11spd casssette as the gaps between the gear ratios would be smaller than on a 10spd cassette. They are quite big jumps on 10, which is fine off road but quite pronounced on road. The bike in question would be used on both.

otsdr
    Free Member

I also wanted to do this (10 sp. XT on 11 sp. STI, 11-36XT), but I read here ( http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/is-11spd-shimano-road-and-mtb-kit-compatible#post-6422563 ) that it won’t work. Ended up buying the long cage Ultegra derailleur and cassette (11-32).

Rik
    Free Member

Wonder if the new long cage road mechs that do up to 32t would actually do a 11-36 11spd mtb cassette.

If a mtb mech made for 36t can do a 40t expander. Hmmmm……

daver27
    Free Member

I’ve tried an XT 10spd clutch mech with my 11 speed 105 STI’s and cassette and it doesn’t work. not sure about 11 speed mech though. might try that when 11 speed XT/SLX comes out.

simondbarnes

Are there any 11-36 11spd mtb cassettes?

T1000
    Free Member

daver27 – Member did you measure the Cable pull on the 105 STI’s? If its 3.4mm then a 10 speed thumbie option would be viable using the TT shifters, dynasys mech and 10 speed MTB cassette

njee20
    Free Member

Are there any 11-36 11spd mtb cassettes?

No. This is an excellent point. 10-42 or 11-40 only, unless you go for niche brands.

Rik
    Free Member

Good point from shimano, didn’t realise that but SRAM have the 1170 11-36 11spd cassette

simondbarnes

Good point from shimano, didn’t realise that but SRAM have the 1170 11-36 11spd cassette

Yes, but that’s a road cassette so would need new freehub body.

Rik
    Free Member

Like I said above a new freehub body is no issue with dt hubs

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘11spd Shimano Road and MTB – compatibility’ is closed to new replies.