Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is 11spd Shimano Road and MTB kit compatible?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Thinking 11spd STI levers with 11spd XTR rear mech and wide cassette (or XT when available next year).

The cable pull must be really close these days with the amount of cogs out back going up without the amount of space available really changing much.

njee20
    Free Member

Di2 ones are, no idea about mechanical, I’d go with no if I was a betting man.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Looking for a cassette bigger than 32t? The 105 11-speed stuff has a rear mech and cassette thats goes up to that without mixing and matching.

daver27
    Free Member

i have a feeling the 10 speed DYna sys (shadow plus) mtb mechs have identical cable pull to the 11 speed stuff.
    WIll be trying my spare xt clutch mech with my 105 11 speed STis later today.

Rik
    Free Member

Daver27 – can you post up your findings.

Got 1×10 11-36 with a 38t chainring on the cross bike, a 11spd 11-36t would have a bit better spacing between the gears smaller jumps

trickydisco
    Free Member

Will the new M9000 XTR derailleurs work with 11-speed Dura-Ace, Ultegra or the new Shimano 105 STI shifters?

In typical new component group fashion, no. The cable pull is different. No clutch option for road Shimano road shifters yet.

Shimano XTR M9000 11-speed Component Compatibility FAQs – Useful for Cyclocross? Gravel?

njee20
    Free Member

i have a feeling the 10 speed DYna sys (shadow plus) mtb mechs have identical cable pull to the 11 speed stuff.

Not quite sure why you’d have that feeling, FWIW this disagrees, no compatibility between 11 speed road and 10 or 11 speed MTB. But that is the party line, so could be a slightly biased view. That said, not sure what Shimano would stand to lose by saying that aren’t cross compatible.

Edit: actually you may be onto something, from here:

Shimano’s mechanical road 11-speed cable stroke is a road version of 10-speed Dynasys for mountain bikes (which has a longer cable pull per millimeter of derailleur movement than 9-speed MTB shifters).

I’m certainly interested!

Rik
    Free Member

Presumably shimano mtb 11 spd doesn’t need the wider cassette body like the road stuff due to the overhang of the larger sprockets missing the spokes due to the wheel dishing.

But is a 11 spd mtb cassette the same actual total width (i.e not cassette body width ) not as a 11spd road cassette? How thick are the sprocket spacers?

njee20
    Free Member

Presumably shimano mtb 11 spd doesn’t need the wider cassette body like the road stuff due to the overhang of the larger sprockets missing the spokes due to the wheel dishing.

Exactly.

But is a 11 spd mtb cassette the same actual total width (i.e not cassette body width ) not as a 11spd road cassette? How thick are the sprocket spacers?

They’ll be close enough – the 10 speed MTB/road ones are actually 1mm different over all and they work interchangeably (although Shimano say they don’t). The issue is cable pull on the mechs.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Shimano’s mechanical road 11-speed cable stroke is a road version of 10-speed Dynasys for mountain bikes (which has a longer cable pull per millimeter of derailleur movement than 9-speed MTB shifters).

and me!

Does that mean i can use my xt 10 speed clutch mech with my 11 speed shifter?

njee20
    Free Member

Does that mean i can use my xt 10 speed clutch mech with my 11 speed shifter?

If that statement I quoted is true, then yes.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ll be trying it as soon as my 11sp ‘cross bike arrives any time in the next two weeks…

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ll be trying it this week. Just need to get an 11 speed power link

trickydisco
    Free Member

Er.. anyone know where i can get an 11 speed powerlink? Seems the one’s i’ve found are non reusable or you need a special tool.

i’ve always ran sram powerlinks on all my bikes

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Tricky – try a KMC 11 speed chain link – should fit.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sram’s are power locks in 10 & 11speed, they can be removed (unofficially) but you’ll need the plier type tool to do it unless you’ve got fingers of steel.
    Try KMC or Wippermann

daver27
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I read njee. I’ll be giving it a go tomorrow so will let you all know!

daver27
    Free Member

Righto, just gave it a go. It’s a resounding NO! I get 9 gears working flawlessly and there are 2 points it needs a double up/down shift to make it change on sprocket and I can’t get the last 2 sprockets. Oh well

Worth 10 mins to try it tho.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Booo 🙁

Why the hell can’t shimano make a clutched rear mech for cross is beyond me! Were they the first to come up with it?

Sram have got ahead of them on that front with the cx1 groupset

daver27
    Free Member

Just a shame it’s tied to their chappy brakes.

daver27
    Free Member

Double post

oliverracing

Righto, just gave it a go. It’s a resounding NO! I get 9 gears working flawlessly and there are 2 points it needs a double up/down shift to make it change on sprocket and I can’t get the last 2 sprockets. Oh well

Worth 10 mins to try it tho.

If it’s that close can you not change the pull ratio slightly with washers/spacers? like you can with the 9/10 speed sram/shimano mixing?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Going on from the 11 speed powerlock/link post. I decided to try a 10 speed link and it worked fine.

Raced cyclocross today runnung 1×11 with a narrow wide chain – no clutch and no chain guide. Worked perfect in very sloppy mud

Also.. the rs685 brakes are amazing!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is 11spd Shimano Road and MTB kit compatible?’ is closed to new replies.