• This topic has 10 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by gee.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10 speed. How can i tell
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Want to know how its possible to tell if my Banshee Paradox can run 10 speed or not.

I’ve been told that not all frames are compatable with a 10 spd set up. Is this right or not ?

Cheers

gee
    Free Member

?? Not sure why you’ve been told that??

Sounds very odd.

GB

bigsi
    Free Member

It was a mate who works at an LBS. Not sure if he was just refering to older frames or not.

Are you saying its not correct ?

njee20
    Free Member

Some frames, like the Blur XC carbon didnt have chainstay clearance for a double chainset. 10 speed will be fine.

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok cheers njee.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Njee is correct. The XTR double chainsets run a smaller Q factor and won’t clear some chainstays. Shimano did make a very high tech cardboard cutout tool to measure if your frame would be ok or not.

gee
    Free Member

Yep – that’s a good point. Even a 36t struggles to clear on some frames.

GB

speaker2animals

Ah but you are talking a different thing to 10 Speed compatible to be pedantic. The issue raised here seems to be the move to true double chainsets (as opposed to double and bash). In theory 10 speed cassettes fit in same space as 9. Is there any clearance issue with the mech knuckles/pulleys to cope with the bigger (34/36) sprockets?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, hence my comment that 10 speed per se will be fine. There aren’t many frames that a double won’t fit, and even then it’s generally going to be a problem with bigger ring double cranks.

bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so its not a simple yes or no answer by the sounds of it.

Think I’ll get the mech @ the LBS to look at it for me 😕

Cheers guys

gee
    Free Member

Well – it is really. 10 speed will fit. A double chainset with a low Q-factor might not.

GB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10 speed. How can i tell’ is closed to new replies.