Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 10 speed chainrings
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hello,

Trying to go 1×10 going, does anyone know if a 9speed chainring work or will I need to get a special 10 speed ring?

Cheers

Chris

jcromton
    Free Member

noone? Or am I being thick?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Poss not as the 10sp chains are narrow? Depends on chainring tooth width I guess?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

pretty sure you don't chris

KINGTUT
    Free Member

9 speed chain rings will work fine with a 10 speed chain, I've had that set up for a couple of years now.

Mister-P
    Free Member

To get the best shifting possible then with a 10 speed cassette you should run a 10 speed ring. The 10 speed chain is directional and designed to work best with the proper rings and sprockets.

rootes1

inner dimension of 10 speed chain is same as 9 speed but 10 speed outer dimension is narrower so on 1×10 your current ring will be fine

jcromton
    Free Member

Thanks guys

aperrott
    Free Member

If you're fitting a 1x setup your best bet would be to fit a specific non ramped/pinned single ring like renthal/gamut etc.. The teeth on these are a bit longer so will hold onto the chain better on bumpy downhills, it may be a tad stiffer too.

njee20
    Free Member

The 10 speed chain is directional and designed to work best with the proper rings and sprockets.

Showing your allegiances there, SRAM don't use directional chains 🙂

There's enough people using 10 speed chains on 9 speed set ups to show that it'll work fine, not as well as with a 10 speed ring, but well enough.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Oy, alpine boy, I ran mine 1×10 with a Race Face 9speed ring and a shimano roadie chain at Moray. It ruled.

Also, don't be a gay, join me and Huw with an e13 xcx. In white. They're bitchin'.

jcromton
    Free Member

Luke, here's my thinking,

Scale – 34, 11:34 9 speed xcx for training

Surge – 32, 11:36 10 speed e13 ls1.

tu approve?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I ran 32, 11:36 at Moray and didn't even get up onto the 3rd biggest cog, so I reckon for Relentless 32:36 will be fine for day to day riding on the Surge. As for the scale, I'd say 32 up front with the 34T cassette but I spin like a girl.

I'd not bother with the beefiness of the LS1- Huw uses an XCX on the 5 now and it held up down Ben Lomond (we went a new way down, it's cool) without dropping the chain, and I've got a similar thing on mine that's just as good. No need for the bottom roller.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Not sure about SRAM but below tells you all you need to know about Shimano 10 speed:
    http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/products/dynasys.html

Itn short and I had this comfirmed by Madison.
    compatibility is as follows:

10 speed road and 10 speed MTB – not going to work
    10 speed road and 9 speed MTB – not going to work
    10 speed MTB and 9 speed MTB – not going to work

the chain is a different pitch on the Shimano MTB stuff, you have to run a full groupset, the chain will not sit on either a 10speed road ring or 9 speed mtb ring.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Shimano have made it all non-interchangeable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chainrings’ is closed to new replies.