• This topic has 47 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 1 tiny mistake on British Airways booking cost me £494!
  • sheldona
    Free Member

I booked a return flight to Italy on Friday for tomorrow returning Sat. However just been to check in on line and it said my flight was for this morning! Doh so I phoned up said sorry I made a mistake can I pay for another flight for tomorrow morning and use my return flight on Sat. No they said I’ll have to pay £600odd quid for 2 new flights as I missed this miornings they’ve cancelled Sats flights but its OK sir we can give you a refund iof £23 FFS. Do they want our business or not?
    Really happy witht the service last week when I used them but I’m never going BA again.

And Breathe :-I

cynic-al
    Free Member

tbh I imagine most of them would to something similar.

sheldona
    Free Member

tbh I imagine most of them would to something similar.

Maybe, but doesn’t make it right though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

for sure.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

They all do that do it with trains as well.

I’ve realised I’ve made the mistake with in one minute and its a £15 cancellation fee.

peteimpreza

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It seems fair enough to me. Why should they be out of pocket for your mistake?

bruneep

Yeh I want to fly to Italy this morning but BA said the flight was full.

Smee
    Free Member

Missing your flight because you booked it for the wrong day could hardly be described as a tiny mistake.

hopster
    Free Member

As SMEE said booking the wrong flight isn’t really a small mistake. If you booked it in mistake then its your problem not BA’s. I did the same on a flight to Edinburgh with Easyjet and I had to fly BA instead on the flight out. My mistake and I just got on with it.

jam-bo

seems like you came to the wrong place for sympathy….

sheldona
    Free Member

They’re not out of pocket, I tried to payfor another flight and use the one I’ve already paid for this Sat coming. My frustration is with the fact they wouldn’t let me use the flight I’ve paid for and not taken on Sat, I agree with not getting a refund for this mornings flight thats why I’m happy to pay for another one for tomorrow.

And its only a small mistake as for some resason the date was entered as 25th instead of 26th.

peteimpreza

‘And its only a small mistake as for some resason the date was entered as 25th instead of 26th.’

I told you the webbing would get in the way one day. 😀

rs
    Free Member

doesn’t seem right at all that they can do that, I’d be super pissed!

dobo
    Free Member

Check the small print carefully but that dont sound right. could be a clause where you have to notify them before the flight out if not flying. I would complain to the max and do it in writing. You paid for it.
    I bet if you tried to use that flight on the way back they would crumble and sort it for you as you paid for it and they canceled it and now your stranded, i would like to listen to that argument at check in.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It is a micky take that you’re in a position to use a service you’ve paid for 9the return flight) but that they simply refuse to let you use it AND refuse to refund you for it.

Wonder what a small claims court would make of that. Sort of silly thing MPs like to get in the paper for (not that they’d achieve anything).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

So, you’ve paid for a seat/s on a flight. You’ve fecked up the booking, but the seat/s have already been allocated. You say the flight was this morning. You jolly well have not rung in advance of the flight departing, to let them know. So, they assume you are wanting to travel, and therefore don’t sell your cancelled seat on, as it hazzunt been cancelled.

Imagine you’re in a restaurant. You order a dish. The dish is prepared, cooked, and brough to you. You then realise that it’s not what you wanted, and that you’ve made a mistake.

Is that the restaurant’s fault? They’ve still spent on ingredients, chef’s/waiters’ time, etc.

Remind me why you think you’re hard done by…

Bez

Outward flight: no sympathy. Return flight: bang out of order, kick up a stink.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hard done to because he’s also been charge for the desert that they DIDN’T cook for him. The main that he ordered but didn’t use is fair game but the desert is taking the p155.

sheldona
    Free Member

Rudeboy types before reading the post shocker…. Typical….

I’m not pis$ed with them for my outbound cockup, thats my problem. I’m pissed they won’t let me take the flight next Sat Inbound or give me a refund for said flight. I’m willing to pay again for the outbound flight tomorrow thats not an issue.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ok, so I can see that he might feel he’s entitled to the return flight at least. Trouble is, as he’s not taken the outbound flight, they’ll assume he won’t be needing the return flight, and have cancelled that too.

Hmm.

I can see he has half a point.

But I’m sure it’s in their terms and conditions; you need to have taken the outbound flight, in order for the return flight to be confirmed/valid.

I made a mistake over my council Tax bill for my last address. Assumed the outstanding balance would be transferred over to my new account. It was not. I had letters sent, but ignored them, as I thought it would be sorted with my new bill.

Ended up with having to pay costs etc of nearly £300.

For an initial bill of £26…..

ALWAYS READ THE T+CS, AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES WHILE BOOKING!

Oh, and Sheldona; maybe steer clear of ordering custom bikes for a while, lest you end up with something like a superfluous extra tube or something…. 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

The man has paid for both legs of his journey, and hasn’t yet managed to miss the 2nd part 😉 Bad crack from BA I say

gonefishin
    Free Member

That’s standard on just about all forms of transport to be honest. If you don’t use the outbound sectionof a ticket you can’t use the return. I once had a debate with an airline who though I hadn’t use the outbound section of flight so when I had to confirm my return booking (yes it was quite some time ago) the whole thing kicked off.

Onzadog
    Free Member

BA will either sell his return seat, in which case, they’re quids in. Or it will still be available, in which case, let the man use what he’s paid for. It’s common practice but that doesn’t make it right. Happened to a friend of mine on his way to Malaysia. He could afford a single out but not the return and therefore lost out on the whole trip.

avdave2

This is why BA are doomed unless they quickly decide if they are a low cost airline or a premium carrier. They don’t know what they are and neither do their customers. You would expect the response you got if you’d flown with a budget airline but you expect better from an airline that at least used to promote itself as a premium carrier. At the moment they seem to be undecided and so they offer some cheap flights and sometimes they offer customer service. I think your actually being reasonable, your accepting your mistake and are not looking for any compensation for it.

sq225917
    Free Member

Well unless they specifically state that you have to use the outbound to use the return journey, then that seat belongs to you. I’d ask them for a full copy of their T’s and C’s and then fu5king sue them.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Standard practice on all airlines. No logic, just fact. And booking a ticket for the wrong day? You made two mistakes – booking the wrong day in the first place, then not checking your confirmation

avdave2 – sorry but total tosh. They are clearly a full service airline and offer cheap and expensive seats on all flights – just depends how much flexibility you want. And you get the same service and facilities either way

geoffj

What Bez said – twunts. And the CEO of BA (Willie Walsh) is nearly as obnoxious as David O’**** (of Ryanair fame).

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, at least you can sleep soundly, knowing that BA wil spend your money on making lovely TV ads…

Why not go by bus?

ebygomm
    Free Member

You would expect the response you got if you’d flown with a budget airline but you expect better from an airline that at least used to promote itself as a premium carrier

You’d actually be better off with the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair. Their flights are all sold as singles, missing your outbound flight has no effect on the return flight.

-m-
    Free Member

Not being able to use the return leg if you didn’t fly the outbound is the norm. It’s done specifically to stop people (ab)using discounted return fares to save money.

Equally airlines don’t want to allow passengers to change restricted tickets at the last minute, otherwise no-one would buy the full-fare/flexible tickets…

I must admit that I’ve booked the wrong date on a couple of occasions, but then spotted the problem when the confirmation came through. On both occasions I called immediately (once Easyjet, once BA) and they sorted it for me – even though I had bought non-changeable / discounted tickets.

Sadly it’s one of those things.

enfht
    Free Member

RB’s analogy is a bit duff, the meal would have gone to waste, whereas the flight would not have left with an empty seat.

You’d only have been allowed to use the inbound flight if you’d have paid full wack, not “discounted” fares.

Write them a grovelling letter, they may rebate you in BA vouchers if you’re really really lucky.

Bad luck

coffeeking
    Free Member

Couldnt you just have bought another flight and turned up for your return flight, rather than cancelling the first?

-m-
    Free Member

Couldnt you just have bought another flight and turned up for your return flight, rather than cancelling the first?

No, it’s unlikely that you’d be able to check in for the return if you hadn’t used the outbound. It’s part of the terms and conditions of the fare that you buy.

I’d ask them for a full copy of their T’s and C’s and then fu5king sue them

If you read them you’d probably see that it wasn’t worth trying…

avdave2

CaptainMainwaring you clearly work for them or fly less than I do with them

-m-
    Free Member

or fly less than I do with them

Errmmmm… as an experienced BA customer, which bits of

They are clearly a full service airline and offer cheap and expensive seats on all flights – just depends how much flexibility you want. And you get the same service and facilities either way

did you disagree with?

avdave2

Italy £600 return, so is that a cheap flight or a flexible one or in fact is it neither? 🙂

-m-
    Free Member

Italy £600 return, so is that a cheap flight or a flexible one or in fact is it neither?

So… you were too slow for the cheap ticket and too tight to pay for the flexible one 😉

Either way, you will get the same service and facilities on board as those who bought a ticket in the same class.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Italy £600 return, so is that a cheap flight or a flexible one or in fact is it neither?

Well, the RyanAir flight might have started off as £20. But then it’d be £30 to book in online (sorry, no choice, no offline option), bags? £40 to you sir. Oh, did I mention that was just one way. Suddenly you might not be far off.

Oh, the plane has a technical problem and your stuck in Italy. See ya.

avdave2

Lot of BA employees on here aren’t there. No wonder they’ve lost 70 million. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘1 tiny mistake on British Airways booking cost me £494!’ is closed to new replies.