Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 454 total)
  • ⛷️ ❄️ Skiing and Snowboarding 23-24 🏔️ 🏂
  • oldtennisshoes

It’s that time of year again and with the captain still MIA I thought I’d start the annual thread.

So, what have you got planned, what have you booked? What are your hopes and fears?

I have a couple of speculative hotel bookings, but nothing more than that.

nbt

2 trips booked – Sainte-Foy Tarentaise and Morillon (Grand Massif). Self-catered, driving down. Meeting friends for some of the trip. Maybe spend a day or two in nearby resorts to explore. Can’t really justify new gear as the stuff we have still works

ads678

Not booked anything yet. Summer hols first next week and the week after, so will need to pay that of before thining about winter….

Will probably go to the Alpes or Pyrenees though.

Philby

After nearly 20 years of skiing in France, the group I ski with have made the radical decision to go to St Anton, Austria next March.

villageidiotdan
    Free Member

Thanks for asking.

Taking my wife and little boy to Avoriaz for 10 days over xmas/NY, a bit of a landmark holiday for us so very much looking forward to it.  It’s BA’s fault, silly flight prices to Geneva so I booked it without realising how expensive accommodation is over xmas but you only live once.

Going again with friends 2 weeks after that which is weird as I don’t really like skiing that much so limit it to once every 2 or 3 years

Bunnyhop

I miss Flashy.

Anyway the hope is for snow (not just at the very beginning of the season Dec or at the very end in  April).

My fear is to ‘not’ have the fitness I need, get an injury or illness (which always seems to happen).

rogerturner

I’m really hoping to get at least one trip in next season. I had a new hip last December and have just had an ankle operation to repair damage from being hit by a car, so it’s all going to be a bit of a test to see what’s possible. I’m going to need to get some new boots as well, to accommodate my ankles that are now a somewhat different shape to when my boots were fitted!

mtbfix

Not having skied for about 20yrs, my sister has twisted my arm into going early next year. Probably France. Hoping it’s not too dissimilar to riding a bike as I’m no longer 20 something.

oldtennisshoes

I miss Flashy.

He certainly brought a certain je ne sais quoi to this place

My fear is to ‘not’ have the fitness I need, get an injury or illness (which always seems to happen).

I seem to always be ill at Xmas/NY which is making me reluctant to book flights for then even with the hotel reserved. 🙁

lamp
    Free Member

The usual Verbier trip for 3 weeks. Flying out on the 2nd Jan. Maybe try for a week in March budget depending!

turin
    Free Member

big birthday this year for me so decided to go (quite) a bit mental

Heading off to Argentina this Saturday for three weeks, with a couple of weeks coaching in that, down to San Carlos de Bariloche.

Joining some ski clinics there, but its okay apparently its wetter than an otters pocket this week and it isnt exactly the largest ski area to begin with so might end up being a complete disaster.

Then late December out to Kitzsteinhorn, for a week – again as likely to be snow-tastic or icy as hell minus double figures and high winds, probably back there early January after the Christmas rush has died down and before it gets busy.

Toying with trying to get a long weekend touring in somewhere if I can get the planets to align…..

toby1

Woo, always love this thread. It’s a shame the captain is too busy with paperclips to get on it, his knowledge and passion for the subject was always appreciated!

After sticking to France for ages and having a great time last year (with the exception of a failed transfer on the way out) I’m vaguely tempted to look at Italy, but I may end up doing some work on the house and missing out, but I hate that idea!

cobrakai

Morzine in Feb half term with 2 other families.

2 weeks leave at the end of March, so will wait out on the conditions.

Mate is coaching in Verbier next season so probably a couple of 3 day visits to him.

Was very disciplined and stayed with my old battered Rab jacket for skiing last season as I knew Norrona outlet would get stocked at the end of the season. It paid off. Got a Lofoten jacket for £260.

tuboflard

Definite lads long weekend booked for early January though still need to decide on a resort. Probably an Easter trip too given how good April was this year and maybe even a late April trip again too if conditions hold out. Big birthday year so might still swap the two late trips out for one big one, would really like to go back to British Columbia as not been for a long time, Fernie definitely on the list of places to revisit.

ElShalimo

Mayrhofen next year. I hope it’s good!!

smokey_jo

Not sure this year, but it won’t be 3 valleys, Les gets or Obergurgl this year, we’ve done them to death and fancy a change.

Might even just do a fortnight drive to Massif Central and ski Lioran and Super Besse if conditions are any good.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Eldest daughter is going on the School trip this year so it will be three of us for an Easter trip somewhere. Going to leave that to a last minute booking we think. Looking at a Christmas or HT trip but finding it hard to commit either way.
    We’re are a bit fed up with the offering that the French resorts have. Not the skiing that’s first class but food wise it’s all just the same everywhere. Pizza and local beige. Looking for a bit if a change. I have a hankering for traditional Swiss or Austrian maybe.

andytherocketeer

Off to the Dolomites once again

TheDTs
    Free Member

Zermatt is top of the list at the moment. But spendy and doesn’t suit my self drive leanings too well.

toby1

Pizza and local beige

When one tires of tartiflette, one tires of life itself 😉

What are the the group opinions of Cervinia, relative to Tignes, Meribel, Les Arcs?

highlandman
    Free Member

Cervinia is very different indeed to the mega French resorts and generally speaking, will appeal to a different skier.

Local ski area is quite a bit smaller than your French names but with a Swiss mega resort linked on the other side of the hill, you have options.  The Italian side is mellow, the Swiss side still mellow if you’re staying in the nearest sector.  Heli-skiing is cheaper than many other sites but should we still be doing that..?

The wine and hot chocolate are great and cheaper than France.  If you want to go over to Zermatt and have a Michelin starred lunch, that’s a viable day out though..  But well spendy.

andylc
    Free Member

Off to a vet conference in Florida in Jan. Then flying to Salt Lake City and meeting my friend for 10 days of skiing in Utah. Shame it wasn’t this year when they had 75 feet of snow but hopefully will manage to sample the famous Utah powder. Later on hoping to head to the Arctic Circle with the family for more of a road tour but possibly with the odd day or two of skiing…

what is going on with stw at the moment? Weird ‘plugins’ making my text go odd…

igm

Easter is early this year – booked.

Elder son going to Italy at half term. I’m scrabbling round for holidays so the rest of us can go somewhere then too.

Had some lessons for the first time in 20 years last year. Well, well worth it. Knocked 20 years of bad habits and growing risk-averse-ness out of me in a couple of days.

Bunnyhop

We’re trying to ski as ‘environmentally green’ as possible. Driving not flying to France, self catered, shopping locally, using the refill shop, recycling and reusing, wearing (apart from 4 year old jacket) all my old skiing gear, taking the bus to the actual ski areas (bus service is quite good in Morillon, Samoens and Flaine). The French have been energy saving and don’t always run certain lifts and certainly running them at a slower pace.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Looked at Cervinia before, both times I have been to Zermatt, the link to Cervinia has been shut for the whole time. I wouldn’t want to be stuck in Cervinia for a week. They are building a new ‘tourist’ link but not checked when that will be open or if it will be a more stable connection..

snotrag

5 years since I last went. I’m desperate to go again, but now it would have to be a family trip with a non skiing partner and a (obviously) non skiing 5 year old. I’m just not sure how that is even possible, or workable with Parents and one child.
    Mum has skiied before but is effectively a beginner again, and Laddo is a ‘slow burner’ on anything physical. Someone give me hope!

We are going into the Alps on holiday this summer though so I can heopefully enlighten them in the joy of being in the mountains!

toby1

Thanks Highlandman and theDTs might keep looking at a self drive option to France/Tignes then, we loved the hotel this year and I suspect I’d struggle to persuade my wife to go elsewhere this season!

cobrakai

My knowledge of Morzine and the PDS is pretty good but here is something I know little about.

We’re a 3 family group staying in Morzine, across the bridge from the super morzine. The kids lessons are up in Avoriaz. Obvious route up is via the prodains. Here’s where I’m after any info.

We’re a 10-15 minute (not ideal with young kids and ski gear) walk from the bus route so we’re planning on driving and parking at the prodains. Are we going to get a parking space at 0830 or will it be rammed?

The lessons start at 0915 at the plateau. Other option could be drive up to Avoriaz and park but then we miss the home run to the top of the super morzine which would be great for the kids.

Ardent bubble doesn’t open until 0850 which would be a bit tight.

This is in Feb half term BTW.

grahamt1980

Finland just before xmas, and might do a last minute half term trip as our area seems to be a bit off centre with the rest of the country.
    Got a new jones mountain twin on order and some nidecker supermatic steep in bindings.
    Looking forward to those

schmiken

Been invited on the school ski trip as a first timer in February half term – any tips?

Why not go up super morzine then zore, ski to proclou up and then down to the plateau? Takes about 45min with an 8yr old learner.

rockhopper70

Frankly, I’m envious of everyone with knowledge of skiing holidays.  I’ve never been and always wanted to go, and vowed to go this time round after a truly terrible 2023.  Non-skier, save for a few hours at Xscape but I have no clue where to even start looking for resorts and passes and equipment.  I know what’s going to happen, I’ll dilly dally and that’s another year missed.

Five of us, all non-skiers, if you have any thoughts. Will have to be school holidays*.

*ie, ££££££

cobrakai

Yeh, I’d thought of that but the lesson start time is 0915. Don’t think super morzine opens until 0845. Plus that flattish cat track under the road would be hard work with the kids if it’s not in tip top condition.

Edit! Just saw the super morzine opens at 0830, sorry! Yeh, could be an option…..

Earl
    Free Member

@schmikem

First timer as in beginner?

1) Assuming you are 30+ they advice would be to warm up / stretch/ mobility routine in the morning prior to putting the skis/ snowboard on. You will fall. Being warm you may hurt yourself less

2) It’s very very easy to have a big night on the turps when you are out on the snow. So much fun.  Recognise that your ability to operate two slidey sticks on your feet may be impaired.

3) It will be an absolutely awesome time.

grahamt1980

@schmikem
    If snowboarding then get armour. Shorts, knee pads for definite.
    If skiing then just learn to look miserable ;p

OwenP

Plus that flattish cat track under the road would be hard work with the kids if it’s not in tip top condition

Got my 5 year old down that no problem after just a couple of basic lessons, just carry a block of wax on holiday with you if you have kids hire skis.

Also, with kids stomping around and ski kit – use the ski lockers by the main lifts. I think it’s 50 euro for a week in Morzine. Really, really worthwhile with younger children in my experience.

Have done small child ski school in both Avoriaz and over on the Pleney. In honesty, for an easy life I’d drive up and take the snow park drag lift to get to the plateau, if i had to be there and ready for 09.15. It’s not like the lower sections of the return to Super Morzine bubble are a load of fun with young/unconfident skiers.

cobrakai

Thanks OwenP, definitely food for thought. Just out of interest, what car park in Avoriaz to use and how would you get to the meeting point?Avoriaz lay out always confuses me!

Thinking of hiring their kit from the ski set at the super morzine. They offer overnight storage. Could start and finish the day there as long as it opens from 8am.

OwenP

I always just use the open air carpark – just off to the left as you get to the roundabout at the edge of Avoriaz resort. BUT if I have the kids and another adult, I always spin up to the covered drop-off, let them out there and all the kit, and take the car back to the car park.

From the open air car park, you can cross the road and jump on the snow park drag lift for a couple of minutes, and from the top (just above the Folie Douce and Yeti) you can access any part of Avoriaz.

From the covered car drop off, you just follow the resort snow road down and round above the sledging hill, drops you into ski school. Can be a little slow if its churned by the horses, but it’s low stress and most direct if you are in a hurry.

For us and driving – car drop off the kids and an adult as above, they head to ski school, driver parks up, grabs their own kit and heads over to meet up, by which time the kids can be sorted and away on the lesson.

Remember coming up Prodains means another chair lift as well, if you need to get to the main ski school area. It’s a heck of a uphill walk otherwise.

Origin_Al

@rockhopper, for a 1st timer I’d recommend looking at a package deal, takes away a load of stress for your 1st time as they’ll sort out travel, passes, hire and take care if anything goes wrong late flight, missing luggage etc but it will be a little pricier than doing it yourself. We’ve used Crystal who have been ok.

What hols are you thinking of xmas/mid-term/Easter as that may change where folk would recommend.

igm

We drove to Prodain, parked fine, plenty of time to get up.
    But it was Easter

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 454 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.