• This topic has 89 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by fibre.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Zwift – state of the nation.
  • Kryton57

Whose bored, who isn’t? Whats the overriding verdict of “just going for a ride”?

For me this would be used infrequently to get Z2/3 miles in on a weekend where the weather prevents outdoor riding. I’m assuming thats a practical ask as long as I’m not bored to tears…

weeksy

I did an hour today, just cruising round, picking up a few wheels and doing some sprint intervals.

It was drizzly, cold and horrible outside, I got a decent workout.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I did a 40 minute interval session on it as I didn’t have time to go out on the MTB, nor did I want to get cold, wet & plastered in mud.

I don’t enjoy road riding anyway, so it’s not really a substitute for that.

I only use it for racing/interval stuff really. I don’t do any base because it’s boring. I get that from my other actual bike rides in the woods.

Haze

I used it for ‘free’ rides when I didn’t want intervals or it was too grim outside.

Had a trial membership, think it was about a month long but it wore pretty thin long before that. I’ve not bothered since, bought some rollers for Z1/Z2 stuff and it’s much nicer with some good tunes on.

jam-bo

Better than following a red line on trainerroad…

Not sure how structured sessions would work but just going for a ride there is always someone to catch/race etc.

The races are what make it for me. Nothing quite like a clock ticking or a group just ahead to dig that little bit deeper.

Jason
    Free Member

For a steady hour ride on Zwift I tend to join in a group ride, there are normally plenty at weekends. the phone app has all the events listed. Otherwise if f I just go for a ride on there I do tend to get a bit bored. The group ride gives a bit more focus, without the full on effort of a race.

mooman
    Free Member

Waterproofed jacket,then spent an hour in garage lubing and putting mud guards on the cx bike … even a wet ride is better than a pretend ride.

Was contemplating getting Zwift for these wet months – but see too many on strava that went down that road. The bike for me is still about actually getting out on it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, have you tried it? Might as well just sign up and do a free trial 🙂

Plan on using it for much the same thing here too. I like the sound of Jason’s group ride suggestion. Though do suspect I’ll get bored quickly.

even a wet ride is better than a pretend ride.

… and a pretend ride is better than no ride (which is often the alternative here.)

Kryton57

Kryton, have you tried it? Might as well just sign up and do a free trial

I did sign up & the trial has expired before I used it. Despite the fact I cancelled it they’ve today charged me £8. I was checking the consensus before arguing with Zwift for my money back.

I feel I’ll get bored also. I like the structured Trainerroad seasons, riding Z2 on a computer (even on TR) bores me senseless.

Whats the group rides all about, and how do I find them? Its the weekend where I use it, if I could join a group ride rather then riding around on my own I’d be better tempted.

IHN

Ahem

[/url]

Are they?

ferrals
    Free Member

Would have given it a go but doesn’t seem compatible with my iPad, seems like just the thing for days like today when I’m not able to ride outside but don’t want the structure of TR

windyg
    Free Member

I did 90mins this morning on Zwift, it was chucking down outside and I wanted to do something.

Kryton best way to find group rides is via the app, you go into events and just pick one you fancy doing.
    I often join the 4:30 rides/races which are around 45-60mins.

Jason
    Free Member

All the rides are listed here:

http://zwift.com/events/

If you use the app you can also see how many people are signed up for each one.

Kryton57

What’s the coloured dot / letter – difficulty?

beej

I use it for just going for rides, structured intervals, the odd recovery ride. Handy when it’s icy outside, or dark and horrible rain. I didn’t use it much/at all in spring/summer/autumn. I can do 2-3 hours on there, with a smart trainer it’s more motivating for me than just watching films/TV, a bit of variation in terrain and other people to chase/ride with/keep ahead of.

I’m currently using it for sweetspot and threshold intervals, some tempo stuff. I don’t use the workout mode, just control the intervals myself as I would outside.

Level 16 on there now so I’ve done quite a bit of time, 2200 virtual kms. I’ve got a virtual Emonda with Zipp 404s now! Virtual Parlee next.

weeksy

Watts per kg kryton. A is fastest, d slowest. Only counts in races, in social rides it’s all about keeping together, helping people who are struggling etc

Kryton57

Ok thanks – and do people actually talk to each other ?

weeksy

Sometimes, I only use text on screen if helping someone. But I believe there are proper speech type things

scaredypants

I can see me dropping it in the spring & summer but I’ve done 16hrs on it in 6 weeks (which included being ill for 10 days). If I’d been left only with the option of riding outside I’d have lost almost all of that as I’ve been too busy for anything other than short spells and I hate road riding in dark/wet/(cold) conditions

wilburt
    Free Member

Quite happy going for a spin up the mountain with no particular plan, invariably get in a tussle with someone so get a workout too.

I’ve been on Zwift a long time and it’s still as compelling if not more so with the race starts now sorted and more courses.

atlaz
    Free Member

TBH, I don’t find a social aspect on Zwift so I prefer bkool currently. I can ride routes I know and if I want to race people I jump into a group ride.

MrPottatoHead

Tried it, didn’t really enjoy it. I’ll be honest I actually found following a line on TrainerRoad more interesting. Its a nice concept though and if I’d got on board the social side of it I may have taken a different view.

markgraylish
    Free Member

I don’t have a garage so my bike is on the turbo in the spare bedroom where my desktop PC is, so I run it off that PC but I’ve also got an android tablet so I can watch Netflix or You Tube or whatever at the same time, if I’m not racing.
    That helps stave off the boredom…in fact, I’ll probably do an hour or so later today, catching up on TV whilst I flush out last night’s alcohol…
    You can also suspend your Zwift membership without losing your workout history. I suspended mine from around April to October and will probably do the same this year.

crosshair
    Free Member

Just done some of the ZSUN group ride. It’s a very good workout. There were 171 riders averaging 23-24mph. I have been off the back before and it’s a pig to catch so I tend to find a group just off the front. Ended up a minute in front averaging just over 24mph and my HR was soon a bit closer to threshold than I was hoping for (first decent ride after being ill). So I sat up and waited for the main bunch. Hung with them until 20 miles (it’s a 30mile ride) and then called it a night.
    With a 21 mile warmup beforehand, then that’s a decent block I’d say.
    I did catch up on a few YouTube channels whilst I was warming up which I find a little easier than when riding outside 😉

I really couldn’t sit there with it running on my iPhone and get the same enjoyment though. For me, it pretty much has to be dark and I run it through the TV. Then my simple little brain is tricked into thinking we’re going places which is all I need to be able to crack on and ride.

At the risk of repeating myself, it’s less of a ‘thing’ for prescribing training and more of a ‘place’ to go and do some.

zilog6128

Love it, have tried using TrainerRoad over past winters but can motivate myself for the pain! Zwift racing hurts too but the fun factor is greater for me. Plus it’s so quick & easy to get a decent workout (have it set up in work gym & often do it at lunchtime or after work).

Tend to do a race every 2 or 3 days. Did a recovery ride once which was still quite fun but not regularly using it for that at the moment. Yes a real ride is better but Zwift is very convenient, plus I think I get more out of it training-wise than I would for a real ride which is the main reason I’m using it – I hope to be fitter than ever for real riding by the time spring rolls around! Don’t know if I will still keep it up then, wouldn’t need to do it but might be addicted to the racing by then!

Got a smart trainer recently which makes it even better although I still enjoyed it a lot before.

Kryton57

Well, I’m set up to give it a go. After a warm up TR 8 min tests this morning(!), I’m off on a Laurens ten dam training ride at 3pm.

Wish me luck 😯

weeksy

Well ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like he got lost.

shermer75
    Free Member

Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation?

crosshair
    Free Member

He’s so addicted, he’s doing a century as we speak no doubt 😀

Kryton57

Well, Laurens ten Dam obviously couldnt be arsed – his event disappeared.

So I ended up doing the HCZ Training event instead – 5 laps/45k of the hilly Watopia course Basically 1x 5min 9% climb and a couple of short 5% ones with a sprint section in the middle (came 7th).

Bearing in mind I completed an FTP session this morning it was bloody hard going, 215np and 1100 cals during 1h10min at nearly 35kmh.

However, I take back what I said, it becomes very realistic in this scenario, I actually found myself standing on the last hill climb. Definiately worth a weekend ride replacement in this format and a really good workout.

I would get bored just riding around maybe. Although during the day’s setup I came across Alex Dowsett & Steve Cummings doing just that.

I’m exhausted!

weeksy

Excellent news. Its a proper strange thing is zwift. I did the zwift race earlier and it was exceptionally absorbing, so much so that my lad came in to chat and all I was thinking was “f*** off, I’m busy trying to beat this guy”

It cant replace hitting swinley/afan etc, but its a great way to train.

scaredypants

Well, Laurens ten Dam obviously couldnt be arsed – his event disappeared.

those revolutions will not be televised
    /shermer

eskay

mooman – Member
    Waterproofed jacket,then spent an hour in garage lubing

😯

beej

Steve Cummings was doing intervals of 5-6 w/kg up the mountain, at least he was when he just about managed to catch me. 😀

Matt Hayman was on there too.

Kryton57

If its good enough for them…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dipped my toe in tonight and quite enjoyed it (having got a bit annoyed with TrainerRoad following some recent app updates.)

Knocked up a workout using the creator and did that, then just rode around a bit, spotted a couple of people I knew, more entertaining than I expected. Looking forward to having more of explore when I get a smart turbo.

smogmonster

I’ve been using Zwift since June 15, in that time it’s grown massively, sometimes for the best, sometimes with a few growing pains. The best part of it for me is the racing scene, nothing makes me push harder…I simultaneously hate them because how gut wrenchingly hard they are, but love them for exactly the same reason. They’ve pushed my FTP from about 240W up to about 300W at present. It has wannabes of course, but on the whole it’s a friendly place to be.

nathb
    Free Member

Wannabes?

Racing and social aspects are great. I love the fact I can dive into the garage and pedal like a bat out of hell in a race getting a bloody good workout or do a gentle leg spin chatting to whoever is on at the time. All uninterrupted by traffic, traffic lights and Londoners who seem to want to injure me.

It’s not a replacement for cycling outside, it’s a really good supplement that I have no doubt has not only kept my fitness levels up over winter but has probably improved them too!

I do think you need a smart trainer to get the most out of it though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, you still zwifting?

A few sessions in here and despite initial scepticism I like it. Still have my headphones in watching something on Netflix or listening to tunes, but it’s nice to just be riding along with a bunch of other people and doing a bit of exploring. Still on a dumb turbo here, can see it being a lot more engaging on a smart one. A much needed bit of mid winter novelty.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Zwift – state of the nation.’ is closed to new replies.