Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Zipp 404 tubular wheelset – 2008 – Whats it worth (sorry)
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Got an offer for this wheelset from a friend to upgrade my aksiums – Full RRP is around £900 – hardly used – thinking £500? Wonder if this wheelset would be OK also for commuting as well as general road riding/racing?

finbar
    Free Member

would be OK also for commuting

I think tubs are a pain in the ass, i wouldn't use them to commute on. Good race wheels though. Why don't you keep the aksiums to commute on?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

£ 500 is a fair price for a set of carbon wheels but you want the tubs and cassette thrown in and the wheel bags, although quite a few of my mates have had Zipps, good wheels except for when they go wrong, the after service is less than sh1te, look out for small cracks on the rims near the spokes, Zipp DO NOT say these are a fault but I have heard and seen loads doing this. DEFO not a commute wheel, unless your mega minted.

Carbon Bontrager wheels are a lot better option (just again for racing or fast training), sorry but true.Askium or even better Ksriums are both "bomb" proof wheels and fine for Commute wheels, I have had all four types of wheels mentioned in this thread and still have three of them. 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Older Zipp hubs were shocking too, fairly sure they'd sorted them by 2008, but some of the earlier ones were very prone to developing play which couldn't be sorted easily.

Carbon wheels are fairly disastrous in the wet, although again Bontrager ones are pretty good with their own pads, and tubs are a faff, so commuting on them would be insane.

Good race wheelset, otherwise get some decent alu wheels, Bontrager Race X Lites or Dura Ace 7850-CL or something, which will be usable in all conditions.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Ahh OK – cheers – wanted a wheelset for all really – so I'll think i'll stick with my Mavics then – 3 years and still true and sound hubs – Sounds liek teh carbo's are good for racing but most of my miles/week will be commuting – seems too much to outlay just for when I do racing. Cheers guys!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Zipp 404 tubular wheelset – 2008 – Whats it worth (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.