Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Zig Zagging uphill
  • oldgit
    Free Member

No one seems to do this anymore, or did it never really work anyway and just felt like it did to me?
    I’m talking about wall like road climbs and zig zagging to wipe out some of the gradient.
    Was asked what I was doing the other day, said it was something I picked up decades ago.
    Am I mad?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes.

wwaswas

I think lower gearing/bigger gear spread with more ratios (even on road bikes) now means it’s not as necesary any more.

epicyclo

I do it too.

Cheaper than gears 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Yes – and not just steep stuff.

Will go side to side if I want to keep up pace in a higher gear rather than dropping a cog.

Steep road climb that comes to mind is the first road bit of the Snowdon climb…

toys19
    Free Member

I do it all the time, works nicely.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

wwaswas +1

back in the day 42×21 was the standard lowest on a race bike innit.

clubber
    Free Member

Everyone’s a better rider than you these days 😉

titusrider
    Free Member

My Gf does it alot as she struggles with power
    I do it on the SS and rediculous road climbs

Cougar

I just get off and push.

(-:

13thfloormonk

Yep, do it loads, almost fool myself into thinking that the swerving gives you a little bit of acceleration…

konaboy2275
    Free Member

I do it too and have done for years, a bit like skiing in reverse (and more hard work), do get some strange looks sometimes and not always the best on busy roads!

redted
    Free Member

Almost hit some local club rider from Grimsby going up our local big hill who was doing this. He was coming up, accompanied by the rest of his club, I was going down, came round a bend at about 35mph, he was on my side of the road, blowing out of his hoop, he looked at me I looked at him,his mates all flinched and watched us both, still to this day don’t know how I missed him. Utterly terrifying.It was almost as if time stood still for a minute.

Milkie
    Free Member

I just get off and push.

Then realise its really bloody steep and hurts your calves, stop for a bit (where no one can see you taking a breather), get back on the bike facing downhill, then turn round and try n power to the top! 5metres later take another breather and repeat!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I often used to zig zag. Don’t anymore as I have a 32 rear to spin, but just a side point – am I odd, I never EVER get tired calves riding, even when the rest of me is falling apart?

molgrips
    Free Member

I once found myself riding up a l:3 hill in Bangor on an ancient road bike with 39/19 bottom gear. I had to zigzag to stay alive, cadence was measured in minutes per rev rather than revs per minute. Made it tho 🙂

Re getting off and pushing – I encountered a hill on a lane near Cardiff that was so steep I didn’t think I could get off without falling over and sliding back down. Seriously, it’s mental. I think I can pinpoint it if anyone’s interested. It’s in that funny pocket of countryside between Cardiff, Newport and Cwmbran.

joao3v16
    Free Member

almost fool myself into thinking that the swerving gives you a little bit of acceleration

Technically, it does!

Acceleration is a vector quantity, therefore by changing direction you are decelerating in one direction whilst accelerating in another.

Even if your velocity stays the same, you are still accelerating.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Zig-zagging simply reduces the incline your body must climb at the expense of added distance. It works fine but it’s a tradeoff.

rOcKeTdOg

My dad showed me the zig zag thing when I was about 8, still use it now, very effective

Cougar

Velocity is a vector quantity too; if you swerve your velocity changes, your speed remains constant. (I think, long time since I did my GCSEs).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Must admit I use the same technique up…

http://tinyurl.com/5tl5k2a

Cougar – correct, speed is scalar, velocity and acceleration are vector 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Even if your velocity speed stays the same, you are still accelerating.

MrOvershoot

Even zig-zagging up HERE didn’t work for me as the road is a bit narrow
    Here’s a mate enjoying the push 😮

molgrips
    Free Member

I love the pain on his face as he pushes.. or is it shame? 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

good job he has all those pads, that tarmac looks nasty!

trailmoggy
    Free Member

my mate was doing it sunday, so bad i though at one point he was turning back

MrOvershoot

molgrips – Member

I love the pain on his face as he pushes.. or is it shame?
    Pain & near 30deg heat!!

Also notice he has the brakes on to stop sliding back.

MrOvershoot

rOcKeTdOg – Member

good job he has all those pads, that tarmac looks nasty!

To be fair its the only road section and seeing as he did a rag doll impression on the descent of Drum to Llanfairfechan (777m to sea level in about 4k) the previous year he was justified.

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, but you’re not accelerating uphill!

druidh
    Free Member

I do this regularly. It’s a habit I picked up/learnt when hillwalking.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Zig Zagging uphill’ is closed to new replies.