Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Zesty – Push my RP2 or go for Bos VIPr
  • Mbnut
    Free Member

I cannot afford a new rig this year so i am revamping my trusty 2009 Zesty 714.

I am running a Bos Deville up front and it is fantastic but it has shown up the rear end somewhat so i now need to improve on how that behaves.

My thinking is to send of my RP2 for tuning/Push or to go wild and splash out on a Bos VIPr.

Feedback on how a tuned/Pushed RP2 performs on a Zesty and on how a VIPr performs on a Zesty would be much appreciated.

My riding involves everything from 8 hour endurance races to the Mega but mostly I ride Surrey Hills and other UK hotspots and trail centres. I tend to ride hard and fast… skill allowing.

Thanks in advance.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I don’t have experience with the kit you’re talking about – I think you’ll be lucky to find someone with a Zesty and a Vip’R as they haven’t been out long.

I think the Vip’R would be a better choice though as each one is supposed to be tuned to your frame’s suspension characteristics. Although I assume going this route is the more costly option!

nmdbase
    Free Member

Think you’ll find that push will be tuned to you, your bike and riding style.

greeble
    Free Member

Think you’ll find that push will be tuned to you, your bike and riding style.

you’ll find that a custom tune will achive the same thing for a cheaper price

retro83
    Free Member

greeble – Member
    you’ll find that a custom tune will achive the same thing for a cheaper price

how so?

amphibian
    Free Member

Monarch plus RC3 at £250 from Chainreaction?

nmdbase
    Free Member

Push is a custom tune

retro83
    Free Member

nmdbase – Member

Push is a custom tune

…plus a number of custom parts, removing of the boost valve mechanism, etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure Dirt had a Vip’r on a Zesty & they wern’t that impressed with it, but they did say BOS were reworking the damping.

Custom tune your RP, you will get 98/99% of the performance for a fraction of the price. Put it this way, it won’t be the shock holding you back.

Whether that satisfies your magpie urges, is of course, another matter.

timmys

I’ve got a Pushed RP23 on my Zesty. It’s very nice. Compared to the stock Float R it’s a lot more responsive without feeling any more ‘bobby’. That’s probably not very helpful but I don’t have a lot to compare it to.

If I wanted to upgrade a stock Zesty shock now I’d probably get the Kashima RP23 that everyone seems to be raving about and consider a custom tune if I felt it needed it or when I first sent it off for service.

greeble
    Free Member

how so?

becuase there is nothing a push tune does that a custom tune can’t do. people these days say “oh my shock doesn’t feel right, I’ll get it pushed” – when all they are doing is taking what 90% of the time is an off the shelf shock that hasn’t been tuned for the rider or the bike.
    Tune the shock correctly from the very begining and you wont need to get it pushed.
    I’m not anti push industries I think they do a great job at what they do.
    I’ve changed my revox on my m6 to an rc4 when I bought it I asked for it to be tuned for my weight and the bike it was going on. job done very happy.

greeble
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pushed RP23 on my Zesty. It’s very nice. Compared to the stock Float R it’s a lot more responsive without feeling any more ‘bobby’.

Because the Float R does not have adjustable pro pedal and no boost valve technology.

If I wanted to upgrade a stock Zesty shock now I’d probably get the Kashima RP23 that everyone seems to be raving about and consider a custom tune if I felt it needed it or when I first sent it off for service.

why not get it tuned as soon as you buy it? getting it direct from mojo/tf they should do that from new for almost no extra cost.

timmys

Because the Float R does not have adjustable pro pedal and no boost valve technology.

Well neither does my Pushed RP23 as I think I’m right in saying both of those are lost when the stock parts are replaced by the Push custom parts.

why not get it tuned as soon as you buy it? getting it direct from mojo/tf they should do that from new for almost no extra cost.

To be honest I’ve no idea how it works when you buy a new shock from mojo/tf. If they set up the tune according to your bike/weight/preferences as part of the process then obviously that’s the way to go.

greeble
    Free Member

To be honest I’ve no idea how it works when you buy a new shock from mojo/tf. If they set up the tune according to your bike/weight/preferences as part of the process then obviously that’s the way to go.

quote form tf

New Fox rear shocks are individually prepped and set-up for you.

What we do to new shocks BEFORE you get them:

Strip, check for assembly faults, ensure optimum function
    Set-up the shock for you, your bike and the way you ride (fitting a new spring if necessary)
    Supply correct mount kits so they’re ready to fit and ride
    Detail the set-up we’ve done for you on the back of the invoice, for your future reference

you’re not buying a mondeo, you’re buying atleast an f1 car that 99% of the time people treat like a mondeo and complain when they don’t look after it.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve no experience on a Zesty but I’ve tried a few options on a similar horsty-linky Nicolai Helius AM.
    The bog standard Float R I had was pretty poorly controlled and would blow through it’s travel unless I ran a higher pressure than I should have which meant about 20% sag. Blow through was improved by reducing the volume of the air chamber which is a cheap fix and allowed me to run 25-30% sag. When I had the Float R tuned and Pushed (at TFT’s recomendation for my usage… I had the Float R very hot on a few big descents) the performance was much improved and I can run 35% sag, but it took them two goes as I was not happy first time round as the rebound was too slow and it felt bad.

The VIPr/Deville combo I tried felt better than my tuned Float R/36RC2 combo, and the VIPr was in many ways as good if not better than my CCDB (better for climbing… the CCDB is better for the doonhall).

What I feel the VIPr does better than my Float R or CCDB is maintain it’s sag/position relative to what angle the bike is at, thus reducing the wallow and the dreaded blow through on techy climbs which upsets the balance of the bike – in much the same way as I found the Deville reduced brake/weight-shift dive when compared to my 36 Float RC2’s. By tweaking my RC2’s and increasing the rebound on my Float R (Rebound and HS Compression on my CCDB/36RC2) I have got a similar performance to the VIPr/Deville I tested.

I’m quite torn myself where I go from here… do I tune the Float R/36RC2 again or bite the bullet for a VIPr/Deville (EXPENSIVE). I like the CCDB and by fiddling with it I’ve been able to work out what improvements I would like on my Float R next time (more HS compression is the main thing…). This would make it feel more the like the VIPr which I really liked… so perhaps I should save up and buy the VIPr and Deville’s later this year?

The one thing putting me off spending the cash on the VIPr/Deville is that I didn’t get a chance to try them on the really big terrain I love… and a good friend of mine hated his Deville’s on it and went back to 36 Floats. Tough decision ahead if I get the pennies together.

So… if you like/love the Deville I would say the VIPr would be a good decision, but as mentioned a tuned Float would get you most of the way there… but it could take a few go’s, and would you be happy with it knowing it’s not the VIPr… which is what you probably want :mrgreen:

Mbnut
    Free Member

It has been mentioned that i am looking for justification for buying a VIPr and maybe I am but what I would hate is to find that having spent out the VIPr wasn’t what I had hoped.

It is mid stroke control that I am really after, my current set up blows through its travel very fast in compressions and g outs so if the VIPr can match the Deville in terms of support then i’d be delighted.

Still gotta decide but appreciate the feedback.

rickon
    Free Member

Have a word with Simon at Loco Tuning, he tuned my Float R for the Zesty with some custom shims and it made a big difference.

skywalker
    Free Member

It is mid stroke control that I am really after, my current set up blows through its travel very fast

Isn’t that why they changed the leverage ratio on the new Zesty.

ac505
    Free Member

Had exactly the same problem with the float shock on my Spicy – in fact I sent it back as I thought something was wrong with it. If I recall correctly it was sent on to TFT who bench tested the shock and all was well. I too would be very interested in any home tuning, shimming?, I can do on the shock as this is the one thing that spoils the bike.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Zesty – Push my RP2 or go for Bos VIPr’ is closed to new replies.