Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Zesty main pivot bolt
  • spannermuppet
    Free Member

Hay everyone,
    Does anybody know how to remove lapierre main pivot bolts? I’ve removed the non-driveside nut but he bolt is solid. Does it unscrew or push through? Just wanted to check before going to town on it 😆

vincienup
    Free Member

Which nut? The one with the little silver screw in the middle needs this undoing first or you will snap it. The pair on the xlink undo from the inside officially but can also be viewed as reverse thread.

I’m 100 miles from my Zesty right now but can get pics for you this evening if you want.

spannermuppet
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for reply.

It’s the big one holding the chainstay to the front triangle, just above the bottom bracket. There is a non drive side nut, then a bolt / axle running through to a 6mm hex slot. (sorry re-read my post & it wasn’t very specific). I’ve stripped everything else out no problem but this ones not moving. I left gt85 on it last night & it was gone this morning so it must have soaked through but it’s done nowt.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ll get pictures this evening for you. I rebuilt my Zesty last year and found all the problems I think. II guess you’re talking about the one just above the BB that holds the chainstay/swingarm on but can’t picture the fastner so I’d rather check before telling you rthe wrong thing as one of those bolts is revers threaded.

timmys

There might not be differences, but you might want to say what year your Zesty is.

leebaxter
    Free Member

I had this exact problem. You just need to soak it with wd40, then drift it out. It took a fair wack , and I did damage the end of the bolt using plastic headed hammer.

vincienup
    Free Member

Shouldnt need to drift that I wouldn’t have thought. Not on my 2010 Zesty or old 2008 Spicy anyway

b45her
    Free Member

it should tap through, they can be quite stubborn if they have corroded onto the inner bearing races though.

filtertips

My 2009 Zesty pivot bolt was completely seized in the pivot, penetrating oil wouldn’t help, neither did trying to drift it out. In the end took it to the LBS, they did it but it was a right nightmare.

spannermuppet
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies,
    it’s a 2010 & it’s never been out so most likely seized somewhere, it was all going so well with the others they came straight out. I’ve given it a gentle whack using a smaller bolt & washer to try & protect the end but with it having a hex head I wasn’t sure if it was threaded or not. Think I’ll try soaking again & hit it harder.

bullit
    Free Member

Take it easy with the heavy hitting in that area. My 2010 zesty chai stay pivots were seized and I couldn’t free them. My efforts ended up taking out the bearing along with sleeve holding the bearings from the carbon chainstay , and replacement needed. Thankfully just still in warranty. Go easy .

spannermuppet
    Free Member

Tried again after soaking some more but still no joy. I’ve got an alu frame so guessing there’s no sleeve but still slightly scared of breaking something. The swing arm is still moving easy so think I’m just going leave those ones in for the minute & when I get more time I’ll rig up the parts washer to flow over it for a day, see if that frees it.

Thanks for the advice everyone 😀

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve had a look at mine and remembered.

First assumption is that crank is off and front mech / adaptor removed. Probably helps to have the shock off, too.

There’s a big 17 or 19mm nut holding the back of that bolt. Steady it with the Hex key and undo the nut. The pivot bolt should just push through then, possibly a gentle tap with a plastic hammer. Certainly shouldn’t need drifting.

I packed plenty of grease in when reassembling

It’s the bolts at the bottom of the xlink that are reverse thread…

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm. Not sure that pic posted. Well, I have a link to pics of a zesty frame strip and some details if you like…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Zesty main pivot bolt’ is closed to new replies.