Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zesty + Lyriks + offset bushings = potential death?
  • Crag
    Free Member

So, looking at getting my 2008 Zesty as alpine ready as I can and am thinking of pairing up some offset bushings with my existing Lyriks to slacken and lower it a bit more.

Question is, will the headtube shear off resulting in near certain death? Or will it be fine and a worthwhile adjustment? Fwiw, I reckon I’ll get about 1.5 degrees by putting on the offset bushings.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It was a while ago when I had mine, but I used a combination of offset bushes & a different length shock to make something inbetween a Zesty & a Spicy.

I ran a 160mm Fox 36 on the front too, didn’t die in a flaming ball of death. IIRC Lapierre stated they could be run with a 160mm Fox (or similar A2C fork).

hexhamstu
    Free Member

I’ve got a 160 fork on mine, and wonderd about fitting some offset bushes, so I’d be interested to see how you get on. I fancy getting rid of the talas on mine and fitting a float instead with offset bushes.

scruff
    Free Member

I bought some offset bushings for my Meta 5 just to use in the Alps. I’ve tested them and now took them off again- it makes a bit of difference but not loads, cant see it putting enough extra stress on the headtube to break it. Loco advised the swing/shock/linkages were the bits which need checking as they may want to go where they are not designed to. My Float R is serpantly getting very close to the linakge but no clunks or knocks thankfully.

Crag
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses.

So I think I’ll have a punt, whats the worst that can happen??!!.

Along with the Lyriks, I reckon I’ll get just over 2 degrees off the stock 68 head angle so it should be interesting to see how it handles the descents – lets see if I can keep up with my mates on their big bikes!

Northwind

I take it the Zesty has enough frame clearance for the bushings then? No issues with messing up the linkage rates or similiar?

It won’t put any more stress on the frame, unless you end up going miles faster anyway 😉

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

I take it the Zesty has enough frame clearance for the bushings then? No issues with messing up the linkage rates or similiar?

It won’t put any more stress on the frame, unless you end up going miles faster anyway

Lapierre riders used set their Mega bikes up that way, offset Zestys with big forks.

Northwind

Cool. Then go for it! Just thought a wee word of caution might be useful since a few people got carried away with these things when they first became cool, and ended up with suspension that didn’t work right.

Mbnut
    Free Member

I run 160mm Devilles on the front of my ’09 and it is great but I am heading to the Alps in the summer and have been considering off set bushings.

The head tube isn’t the potential problem rather the possiblity that the shock may clash with the frame or linkages or that the rear wheel will clash with the seat tube under full compression, not forgetting you will probably be running big tyres.

Please could you update once you have them fitted.

Cheers

grantway
    Free Member

Any idea where i can buy these off set bushes from and how much
    cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Zesty + Lyriks + offset bushings = potential death?’ is closed to new replies.