Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • zesty 527 – Spicy 527 – Orange 5
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

Been looking for an AM bike…
    Was keen on building up an orange 5.. But with some of the comments around single pivot and expensive filing cabinet frames..I’m on the fence.

With 2014 bikes hitting the sales now, I’ve been looking at the zesty 527.
    But the 150 32mm forks put me off, ideally I’d like a pike on the front.
    As the Spicy and Zesty use the same frame, is it worth getting the Spicy even though its got 160mm travel forks but 34mm stantions?

Of settle on the zesty and swap the forks out for pikes (brakes & wheels) when budget allows?

Or do I still go for the orange 5?

Thoughts please guys..

deviant
    Free Member

The Orange 5 will be fine, i had single pivot with an Ariel, great bike….low maintenance and rode brilliantly.

I’ve been looking at Lapierres too, i’d go for the Spicy, i dont see the point in the Zesty now it has gone to 150mm….when it was 140mm it was clearly aimed at different riding and Lapierre had a nice range, they appear to have blurred the lines to the point that the Zesty seems redundant now, that’s my opinion anyway.

wl
    Free Member

Try the Five – brilliant, versatile and reliable bike whether it’s the 26″ or 650b version. If it’s really not for you, fine, but don’t believe the b*llocks about single pivots being too primitive or not working well. Plus they’re hassle-free, perfect if you plan to ride regularly and all year round in the UK.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Got a 2010 714 Zesty – great bike, light fast go anywhere 150mm would just extend its capabilities but I see your point. Wouldnt be a show stopper for me. My other bike has RS Pikes very good forks but the difference isnt as much as people say. Depends on your riding the Spicy and Zesty frames are the same now so its just the build bits that are different meaning you can change in the future.

razorrazoo

If you go zesty/spicy just work out which of the component son each you are likely to keep and go for that one. Either way they both still have the evo fox forks which are apparently a bit rubbish. I have a zesty but swapped out the forks from the off.

jeffm
    Free Member

I have a Zesty 527. I thought the 32 form would be a limiting factor and out of choice I would have a pike. But the whole bike form included has performed impeccably. Would recommend the bike without hesitation.
    I’ve ridden a 5 and IMO the la pierre runs rings around it (hence I bought it).
    The only changes I’ve made is to run it 1×10 and run a hans damph front.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Jeffm..
    Have you got this years model? The 2014 comes with race face rims, wondering if they are any good?
    Can I ask how tall you are and which size frame you went for?
    I’m 5’9 and currently have a medium anthem which ideally could have a lower top tube as I’ve only got a 31″ inside leg.

I’m hoping that my wife can use the new bike when we take our son out on his bike..she’s 5’5″..
    I reckon a 44 might be the correct size for me and also not be to big for my mrs, but will need to get to a dealer and check it out.

chestrockwell

Try the Five – brilliant, versatile and reliable bike whether it’s the 26″ or 650b version. If it’s really not for you, fine, but don’t believe the b*llocks about single pivots being too primitive or not working well. Plus they’re hassle-free, perfect if you plan to ride regularly and all year round in the UK.

This. Ignore the idiots, they just want people they don’t know to notice them on an internet forum.

maxtorque

Usually around now i stick up my “FrankenZesty” 😉

2013 714, with “160mm” via a Spicy shock shuttle and CCDBa + 160 650b RCT3 Pike on the front, 1by via xx1 crankset and a mismash of XTR cassette/shadow mech and OneUp 42T dinner plate. Mavic STs and SG HansDampfs, and finally a nice short 50mm Havoc stem and carbon bars.
    Pretty much 29lbs on the nose. And with a few quick changes (shock/fork/wheels/tyres, i can have a 140mm sub 27lb more UK suitable ripper)

Goldigger
    Free Member

Can anyone comment on heal strikes on the chain stays?
    I also read that if you wear skate style shoes, its a problem..

Sancho
    Free Member

i just got a spicy team frame, very cheap compared to the options out there.

can only say it rips great bike in every sense.
    mate borrowed it and smashed every strava on stainburn with it still set up for me
    and he should ride a small i am on a medium.
    spicy is only frame i found with the right length top tube for me. look in to sizing on whatever you get

kendo954
    Free Member

Again – don’t rule the orange out, single pivots are fine

I’m on the alpine 160 and it pedals fine and is fairly bombproof, I can keep up with most people on most trails, I reckon the 5 would be perfect for aggressive trail riding

Only reason I’m on the alpine is I use it for uplifts and the odd dh race so can’t afford two fs bikes

whyme
    Free Member

Loving my 5. Very good balance. Try ride both and see what you prefer. I hardly ever bother either the shock lockout either and am on a single ring.

DCW
    Free Member

I purchased a 5 after numerous issues with fubar bearings on a Giant Anthem. Have owned a 2005 (which sadly got stolen) and then a 2010. Never had to replace a bearing on either bike. Single pivot design has worked well for me.

Due to family commitments I very rarely get out anywhere that justifies the 5 and so am just in the process of stripping the bike and selling the frame. If you do decide on a 5 and interested in purchasing 2nd hand then feel free to drop me a line (e mail address in profile) Its an 18″ 2010 gunmetal grey with Fox RP23 Boost valve in good condition. Shock serviced last year with only a couple of hundred miles ridden since.

razorrazoo

I’m 5 10 on a medium 2014 zesty and have swapped out the 70mm stem for a 50mm. The wheels are Raceface turbines which as a wheelset got a pretty good review by bike radar. I have found the wheels themselves to be fine, the rims are a little narrow, but so are the mavics on the full build oranges. I’ve not had any issues with heel rub either, size 8 feet and on flats with 5 10s.

jeffm
    Free Member

Yes I have the 2014 model with the race face rims.
    They’ve been spot on, run fast and true. Much like a pair of stans arch/flow.

I’m on a size large and I’m 6ft.
    Spot on for me.

Go try one out. I doubt you’ll be disappointed.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies guys and jeffm..
    Local dealer has a 327 so will go have a ganders size wise, unless the dealer in Stevenage has a zesty/spicy 527.

What’s your opinion on the Formula F1s brakes? I’ve also only used shimano.
    Got XT 785’s on my anthem and can’t fault them..was contemplating swapping the formula F1s for either 785’s or possibly saints as I’m a heavy rider..

jeffm
    Free Member

Gold digger.
    I have XTs and elixir 9 on my other bikes, I think the formula brakes are outstanding, really excellent.

razorrazoo

Brakes take a little bedding in compared to the shimanos I had before but have been fine since. I’m in no rush to swap them out. One thing that does need swapping are the cheapo tyres. On HDs front and rear.

maxtorque

Good power and modulation in my experience from Formulas, but they are not very robust and pads wear out really quickly (because they are so small / light) if you’re heavy, and you give your bike a DH bashing, you’d be better off with something more durable imo

satchm00
    Free Member

Demo a five first, wouldn’t buy a car without a test drive?

Granted you will build your own but it should give a good basis if the frame is for you.

mrvear
    Free Member

The lap is the better bike. Get the zesty and swap the forks out for some 160 Pikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Don’t discount fives because of what you’ve heard, that’s just typical forum sniping. The people I know who have them are very loyal to the brand/design. My LBS does LaPierre and they are very popular for most UK riding a Zesty is ideal, personally I think they are a bit light for full on Alps riding but I’ve been on a holiday where a guy had one and it soaked up most things was very very nimble around the switchbacks. Unless you wanted a more Alps style AM bike I would say choose between the Zesty and the Five (or in true STW style of “look at what I’ve got” consider a Transition Bandit or Covert).

Goldigger
    Free Member

Is the zesty/spicy still OK for a bimble up the canal and local trails?
    I’ll probably go with the spicy as for the sale price £2619 vs the zesty £2559 you get easton vice XLT wheels, reverb stealth, Hans dampfs and fox 34mm rather than 32’s..

Goldigger
    Free Member

Had a go on a spicy 527 and a orange 5…
    Walked away with a apple green orange 5 frame for £1299

nwill1
    Free Member

Haha was reading this thread thinking…silly boy just get a Five but didn’t comment as looked like you’d made you mind up…the Five is a great call, you’ll love it!! Have fun!!

Goldigger
    Free Member

nwill1

I didn’t like the feel of the Spicy…Felt weird unless I had the seat right down..
    5 just felt more relaxed and easy to ride

Now I’m stuck with build options 😕

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘zesty 527 – Spicy 527 – Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.